Saluki coverage

8 Posts
6 Users
4 Reactions
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster
Topic starter  

Doesn't appear that local coverage of Saluki athletics will be getting better anytime soon. Regardless of what you think about his coverage or anyone before him on the SIU beat, this is brutal.

https://twitter.com/writingump/status/1719965848960414108

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Depressing and disappointing. 

ReplyQuote
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin

It looks like we're at the point now that the only way to get info about Saluki Athletics will be whatever Tom Weber and/or Luke Martin put out there directly from the University. After that, you might get a game story from some stringer every once in a while from the AP. There won't be an independent voice telling us what's going on beyond what the University wants us to know about.

Unfortunately, the days of every community (or even region) having a vibrant daily newspaper are far behind us.

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster
Topic starter  

Posted by: @obd

It looks like we're at the point now that the only way to get info about Saluki Athletics will be whatever Tom Weber and/or Luke Martin put out there directly from the University. After that, you might get a game story from some stringer every once in a while from the AP. There won't be an independent voice telling us what's going on beyond what the University wants us to know about.

Unfortunately, the days of every community (or even region) having a vibrant daily newspaper are far behind us.

Yep. And as much as Luke Martin is doing and will do a great job, not having independent coverage is a major loss.

This post was modified 7 months ago by siudawgs

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

This goes beyond just the sports coverage…reporters not living in the area are supposed to cover all the local news(including sports) in the SI region? What a travesty

siudawgs reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @siudawgs

Doesn't appear that local coverage of Saluki athletics will be getting better anytime soon. Regardless of what you think about his coverage or anyone before him on the SIU beat, this is brutal.

https://twitter.com/writingump/status/1719965848960414108

Gotta love corporate America! I assume The Southern will be printed in China now by employees making .50/hour and it'll get here a week late.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

To make matters worse, I just got a notice that they are raising the digital subscription to $22.99 per month after raising it to $12.00 in June!!!  I don't think so. They may as well just shut down, just a matter of time.

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster
Topic starter  

Posted by: @saluki82

To make matters worse, I just got a notice that they are raising the digital subscription to $22.99 per month after raising it to $12.00 in June!!!  I don't think so. They may as well just shut down, just a matter of time.

I have a feeling they'll be bleeding subscriptions, digital and otherwise, with these shameful, draconian cuts. I know I'll be canceling mine and let one of the esteemed execs of the Paxton Media leadership team, Bill Evans (email: bevans@wpsdlocal6.com), know it.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote

Share: