69 Posts
37 Users
76 Reactions
12 K Views
Maroonloon
(@maroonloon)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: Fatgolfer

Glad to move on.  I gave him my support for several years.  But in the end college hoops is a biz....gotta show results.  Glad i will be renewing my season tixs next year now!!!  This was the first year since 2001 I didnt make the valley tourney....i was just burnt out on this era.  Cant wait to see the coaching search start  GO Dawgs!!!

This!

Hallelujah is all I can say. Not going to kick him when he's down, but it was long past time. Glad he went out sans tantrum.

Ready for a new era, regardless of the near term pain.

Go Salukis!

March on triumphantly!

ReplyQuote
(@risaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

The storm clouds have lifted and it's a bright new sunny day in Salukiland with the end of the Hinson era.  I am excited about Saluki basketball for the first time in a long, long time.  I'm looking forward to SIU's next chapter.

Cowboydawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@accountingdawg)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Hinson leaves a terrible legacy.  The final three years of "he whose name we do not mention" deconstructed the traditions, power of a full Arena, winning trends and post-season tournaments of Saluki basketball.  Hinson did not reverse that, he made it worse, and now ten years later we are again trying to rise up out of the ashes.

ReplyQuote
(@salukivillager)
Davies Gym Poster

Time to move forward. Hinson was a serviceable placeholder in the two or three years after the Lowery debacle, but he is what he is. My hope is that SIU learns from this and, for once, doesn't repeat the type of long-term mistake it made with BH. I was in "anybody but Barry" mode for a long time, but I've tweaked that perspective a bit. Mullins would be an excellent hire, and I hope it happens because it would generate a lot of much-needed optimism and excitement. But if it doesn't happen for whatever reason, SIU simply cannot hire another coaching retread with little or no history of reaching postseason tournaments. 

This post was modified 5 years ago 3 times by SalukiVillager

ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

I don't feel sorry for Hinson. Watching his resignation speech left me feeling numb until it was over. Then, for the first time in a long time, I started feeling some real excitement for the future. I did feel bad for the seniors. They definitely deserved better. Unfortunately for them, Barry just repeatedly bumped his head against his rather low ceiling as a head coach. As for his exit, there's not much else he could've said or done without looking like a complete buffoon. He had a team full of seniors, finished 3rd ... barely, and lost in the first game of the MVCt. Thanks. Next!!

--Insert something witty here--

sportsfreak75, AirDawg86, siudawgs and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bknight)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: BleedFknMaroon25

I don't feel sorry for Hinson. Watching his resignation speech left me feeling numb until it was over. Then, for the first time in a long time, I started feeling some real excitement for the future. I did feel bad for the seniors. They definitely deserved better. Unfortunately for them, Barry just repeatedly bumped his head against his rather low ceiling as a head coach. As for his exit, there's not much else he could've said or done without looking like a complete buffoon. He had a team full of seniors, finished 3rd ... barely, and lost in the first game of the MVCt. Thanks. Next!!

I made the mistake of watching his exit speech.  It was an I I I I I I I festival.  He looked angry during part of it that he was having to step away.  At least he showed more class than when he left MO State. 

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiGrad1970
(@salukigrad1970)
Dawg Pound Poster

It all looked sad and Hinson did do a lot to put us right academically and morally, but after 7 years of mediocrity, he needed to go.

I have to hand it to him to fall on his sword, rather than be forced out kicking and screaming.

It was 4 years past due. 

Go Dawgs!

This post was modified 5 years ago by SalukiGrad1970

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: Saloukeyfan
Posted by: Rawdog

I won't miss him.

Nor will I. He made pretty good cash while here. Sorry but I do not feel sorry for him. He wanted everyone to feel sorry for him last night (used car salesman pitch), and a lot of the fine folks here bought into it. Just my 2 cents. Go Dawgs!

I can't speak for all the "fine folks" you think are dumb--or at least naive--enough to fall for another BH con job; I can speak only for myself. Feeling empathy for another human being who is in a shitty situation is not the same thing as being taken in. 

I am glad he is gone and wish this would have happened 3-4 years ago. I think he is a mediocre coach and a complete huckster; I doubt that I would even like him on a personal level. That doesn't mean I can't have some sympathy for him.

(Inflammatory political snark)

AirDawg86 and Mdogs1 reacted
ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster Admin

The only way this could have been better was if the AD or the school's President (Chancellor) was the only one on the podium and said simply that Hinson was fired.  That SIU will no longer accept mediocrity and bullshit for its flagship sports program. It would send a strong and proper message of what is acceptable at SIU.

Oh well....the resignation achieves the same end result, albeit at least 4-years way too late.

HINSON IS GONE!!!!  SIU BASKETBALL HAS A FUTURE AGAIN!

(Now he never has to wear maroon again - yea!)

Go Dawgs!

siudawg77 reacted
ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)

Posted by: SalukiGrad1970

It all looked sad and Hinson did do a lot to put us right academically and morally, but after 7 years of mediocrity, he needed to go.

I have to hand it to him to fall on his sword, rather than be forced out kicking and screaming.

It was 4 years past due. 

Go Dawgs!

I will give Hinson credit for one aspect of his coaching obligations; most of the players he recruited graduated.  Minimum obligation fulfilled.

Go Dawgs!

Saluki 69 reacted
ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)

Posted by: Saluki 69

Ahem.  I do believe Barkeep might have mentioned once or twice that it was over.  It took less than 30 minutes after the final horn.  

Cheers!

Barkeep is the man! 

Go Dawgs!

Saluki 69 reacted
ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)

Posted by: AccountingDawg

Hinson leaves a terrible legacy.  The final three years of "he whose name we do not mention" deconstructed the traditions, power of a full Arena, winning trends and post-season tournaments of Saluki basketball.  Hinson did not reverse that, he made it worse, and now ten years later we are again trying to rise up out of the ashes.

This.

This is why I do not feel sad for Hinson making his tearful exit comments.  He brought this upon himself.   This was a job where he did not succeed at except for most his recruits graduating, which is an important CTQ but not the number one CTQ in this business.

Go Dawgs!

ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)

The sound quality of that presser is horrible.  

Go Dawgs!

ReplyQuote
(@the-goblin-king)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Oh I dont feel sorry for him, but I do have a little more respect for him since he didnt huckster as he normally does.  He could have easily done a cop out like the original rumor where he said he was leaving because he had other goals calling him, instead he admitted he failed and went on his way.  I dont pity him, but I do respect his farewell message more than I thought i would

Local Saluki reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bknight)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: Austinsaluki
Posted by: Saloukeyfan
Posted by: Rawdog

I won't miss him.

Nor will I. He made pretty good cash while here. Sorry but I do not feel sorry for him. He wanted everyone to feel sorry for him last night (used car salesman pitch), and a lot of the fine folks here bought into it. Just my 2 cents. Go Dawgs!

I can't speak for all the "fine folks" you think are dumb--or at least naive--enough to fall for another BH con job; I can speak only for myself. Feeling empathy for another human being who is in a shitty situation is not the same thing as being taken in. 

I am glad he is gone and wish this would have happened 3-4 years ago. I think he is a mediocre coach and a complete huckster; I doubt that I would even like him on a personal level. That doesn't mean I can't have some sympathy for him.

I respect your opinion and you are entitled to feel for the man.

Unfortunately I am at the opposite end of the spectrum.  Barry is a shyster, a huckster, a manipulator.  Everything he's gotten, good and bad, he has earned himself.  

He took the reigns at 3 schools where making the post season was certainly possible and in some cases quite likely.  He failed to make the NCAA at each of those 3 schools.  He can cry all he wants and say it haunts him but the common denominator at ORU, MSU and SIU is that Barry was the coach at all 3 places and none made the dance.

I used to feel sorry for him for the year that MO State "should" have made it.  The stupidity of Billy Packer and Jim Nantz aside, Barry could have quashed any controversy by simply winning the tournament.  And what he did in the years after led to his dismissal.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5

Share: