Clear all

Illinois State @ SIU 1/14/23 7:00 PM ESPN3

205 Posts
34 Users
134 Likes
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

The crazy exciting thing about Ebube is he made such a huge impact in such few minutes at a really important juncture of the game, but also when you watch him closely you can tell that the game is still moving really fast for him. Just wait until he gets more game experience under his belt and as others have noted; gets back into game shape.

We have a monster on our hands.

--Insert something witty here--

Rockin' Dawg, INSaluki, Saluki44 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Class of 69
(@class-of-69)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Post game interview with Reis, Mullins was asked about not starting Brown. Mullins didn't go into any great detail about not starting him.He said he and Brown are really close and had a lot of praise for Brown's leadership skills, how positive Brown's attitude is and basically saying there is a lot to Brown's asset to the team that the casual fan doesn't know about. He said he talked to Brown before the game about not starting, but did not talk to him about whether he would or would not play in the game. Give Mullins credit for changing the starting line-up. Whether this hiatus helps Brown's game remains to be seen.

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Sometimes guys are just geared to be starters others to coming off the bench Newton seemed to be more comfortable and more in the flow as a starter than coming off the bench

Cowboydawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @bleedfknmaroon25

The crazy exciting thing about Ebube is he made such a huge impact in such few minutes at a really important juncture of the game, but also when you watch him closely you can tell that the game is still moving really fast for him. Just wait until he gets more game experience under his belt and as others have noted; gets back into game shape.

We have a monster on our hands.

I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm given we've just seen him in action in a few games and limited minutes in those games, but I can't help but be excited.

Without jinxing ourselves, I think he has the potential to dominate the Valley. Given the outside shooting ability of this team, having a post player like that will be huge. 

Really excited to see him the rest of the season. 

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Had to watch the game on my phone last night and then rewatched this morning after Mass.  Not much to add that wasn't added before.  Jones was MVP BOTH offensively and defensively.  Even though Jones is all Valley defense, I still don't think his impact on the D side of the ball gets talked about enough.  Domask did NOT look injured to me, he still has a super quick first step, he's just in a major shooting slump.  That should scare other teams, because he will come out of it.  Newton didn't provide too much scoring but got the well deserved start.  Rupert was solid, as was XJ who had 3 really nice drives/layups.   I'm not a fan of super long posts so bench info coming up shortly. 

Saluki44 and siudawgs reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

As far as Bench, Ebube made a significant impact late in the first half.  I agree with many of the things said about him both positive and other.  Despite him being out of shape (IMO), he is still both relatively fast and quick.  He is strong as well and could really be a major factor in the Valley the next few years.  He also did look like the game was playing faster for him that the rest of the team.  I saw the same thing with Wonders earlier in the year (although there has definitely been improvement in that respect).  Scottie also gave up a couple of rebounds that, perhaps, were due to lack of aggressiveness and/or effort.  That being said, I don't worry about that going forward.  As I noted last game, Banks has really improved this year, especially his shooting.  It's at the point know where I expect it to go in.  JD was JD, didn't have many positive stats, but made his presence felt defensively.  I've been singling out Troy on the defensive side and admit that he is more capable than perhaps I was giving him credit for.  I still think he needs to improve the quickness of his first move with the dribble.  Twice Domask (only one counted) was able to blow by his defender and dunk but Troy does not seeem to have that in his game just yet.   Lastly, Wonders continues to struggle from 3.  He did, however, drive a couple times and I saw improved defense which is critical for him to get more PT.   I think you'll see that against Evansville and I am already putting him down for a min of 9pts.

Good win !!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

I’ve been critical of Southern’s guardplay much of the season. I think by now most of us realize Jones is going to have his highs and lows offensively, but it’s probably not a coincidence that Johnson and Banks playing some of their best ball is coming at the same time as a nice stretch for the Salukis.

Now if they could just get Wonders or Brown or someone to start splashing some 3s semi-consistently, that would make these next couple months pretty exciting. Domask is due to get his outside shot going again, too.

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by siudawgs

ReplyQuote
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

@obd 

ISU got a good coach in Pedon.  Also, good for the Valley. 

ReplyQuote
Class of 69
(@class-of-69)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Most impressive interview. ISU Redbirds seem to have a good one in Pedon.

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 14

Share: