Bryan Mullins postgame with Mike Reis:

https://siusalukis.com/watch/?Archive=5481&type=Archive

Bryan Mullins postgame:

Dalton Banks postgame:

https://vimeo.com/512313922

ReplyQuote
(@freshman63)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

To me, the difference in the 2 games was all about Jones. Jones didn't show up the 1st game, 2 points and 3 turnovers and was benched much of the second half. With such a young team and Domask out, Jones is our only leader. When he doesn't show up ( very rare for him) we look totally lost out there. Tonight he showed up and the whole team played better. I didn't know the team got stuck at Mo State overnight and we're pretty tired for the 1st game against ISU. Might be why we were so sluggish 1st game or maybe not.

ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @class-of-69

Great win for obvious reason after yesterday's debacle.  I really liked the line up  of Dvanzzo, Filewhich,

Banks, Verplanken and Jones. That should be our starting 5 IMHO.

Absolutely agree with this.  I'm OK with starting a 3-guard offense, but not 4!  Banks brings the elements of quickness, athleticism, defense, & ball handling that we just don't have with Brown or Harvey.  And you just can't have a 6'1" guard playing the 4-spot (unless he's Jeff Early, I guess).  😆  

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @insaluki

Looks like SIU is going to continue shooting the 3 trying to win.  Considering they are not a good 3pt shooting team, this game could get out of hand quickly, IF they don't make them at a high clip.  Oh and look, Filewich gets one down low and scores.  

I get so tired of seeing this from people...they have been a bad shooting 3 point shooting team of late. For the season, they are 32nd in the nation at 38% (were top 20 not too long ago)

Source: https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/152

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @siu_2011

Looks like SIU is going to continue shooting the 3 trying to win.  Considering they are not a good 3pt shooting team, this game could get out of hand quickly, IF they don't make them at a high clip.  Oh and look, Filewich gets one down low and scores.  

I get so tired of seeing this from people...they have been a bad shooting 3 point shooting team of late. For the season, they are 32nd in the nation at 38% (were top 20 not too long ago)

I admit that I was using the recency effect.  Prior to today, SIU was shooting 29% in their last 3 games.  I thought they were under 33% in conference but was surprised to see that they are actually shooting 35%, although that was aided by a 15-30 performance which taken out would drop them to 33% in conference.  

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @siu_2011

I admit that I was using the recency effect.  Prior to today, SIU was shooting 29% in their last 3 games.  I thought they were under 33% in conference but was surprised to see that they are actually shooting 35%, although that was aided by a 15-30 performance which taken out would drop them to 33% in conference.  

I mean sure pick one of their worst shooting nights, remove it from the totals and see how their percentages go up. I agree they've struggled their last few games from deep (and not b/c they are taking bad shots...a lot of them have been pretty good looks), but overall I feel like they have quite a few solid shooters (Jones, Brown, Verplancken, Harvey, and Domask). D'Avanzo shot at a 40% clip last year but, he's struggled quite a bit this year from deep. In the end, their offense requires guys to knock down shots from the outside, so I think you are going to continue to see them shoot a decent amount from outside, but I also feel like they've got the shooters to make that offense work. That doesn't mean you have to live and die by the three every game, but you need to knock down the open ones to keep people honest.

ReplyQuote
AtlantaSaluki
(@atlantasaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

What a difference a day makes.  This season is kind of like the virus...something from the twilight zone.  From game to game and week to week things are going to be strange.  For us having Mulia go down, missing three weeks of practice, having Marcus go down, the way the conference schedule has been set up, and on and on...the future is still bright and as long as we make progress, move forward, and take things in stride, we will get through it.

We have overall good three point shooting.  Are there going to be games we miss?  Sure, every team will.  But the statistics and overall performance for the team this year have been good.  And in the game the way it is played today the three point shot is a big part of it.

Also I think we were all hopeful when we started the season off the way we did.  But in hindsight, which of course is always 20/20, if you look at Butler and Murray State wins for example, those teams are not having the type of year they would normally have and that puts the start in a little different light.

But then I don't think Kentucky and Duke and some others thought they would have the season they are having either. 😉 

ReplyQuote
 Enuf
(@enuf)
Saluki Stadium Poster

My impression was that we "lived by the three" against the zone (first half)  and went inside more against the man (second half). Have no idea if the stats validate that impression.  

ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @rockin-dawg
Posted by: @class-of-69

Great win for obvious reason after yesterday's debacle.  I really liked the line up  of Dvanzzo, Filewhich,

Banks, Verplanken and Jones. That should be our starting 5 IMHO.

Absolutely agree with this.  I'm OK with starting a 3-guard offense, but not 4!  Banks brings the elements of quickness, athleticism, defense, & ball handling that we just don't have with Brown or Harvey.  And you just can't have a 6'1" guard playing the 4-spot (unless he's Jeff Early, I guess).  😆  

Mark me down for this too. I really like what Brown brings to the table, but on a good team with good depth, I think his role would best serve as a 20-25 minutes a game 6th man off the bench.

--Insert something witty here--

Mr_Woogers reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4

Share: