Clear all

Mega Bowl Sunday March 3rd for 4th place

152 Posts
23 Users
87 Reactions
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I'm pleasantly surprised to come on here and not see any posters blaming this loss on the refs.  I sit in a section that constantly bitches about every....single....call....that goes against us.

Fact is, UNI outplayed us today in every facet of the game (including coaching).  They played better defense than us, tried to deny every pass and every shot, and they made their shots.  Big win for them and another disappointing home loss for us in a game we couldn't afford to lose.

I don't fault our effort.  But when you're a one-horse team and your horse is worn down and injured...well, you're going to struggle.  I had hope that the role players would step up today, but they never really did.  I thought D'Amico played well, but the rest were mediocre or saddled with foul trouble.  And Brown and Rupert were downright brutal.

See you all on Thursday.

BleedFknMaroon25, Salukifan32, Fraydog and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
goroshnik
(@goroshnik)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

If the ESPN box score is correct, X played all 40 minutes today.  Nothing like running your star player into the ground right before you need him in the MVC tourney.

Coming into today, X racked up 36.3 minutes per game, 20th highest in the nation.  

ReplyQuote
(@fraydog)

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

I'm pleasantly surprised to come on here and not see any posters blaming this loss on the refs.  I sit in a section that constantly bitches about every....single....call....that goes against us.

Fact is, UNI outplayed us today in every facet of the game (including coaching).  They played better defense than us, tried to deny every pass and every shot, and they made their shots.  Big win for them and another disappointing home loss for us in a game we couldn't afford to lose.

I don't fault our effort.  But when you're a one-horse team and your horse is worn down and injured...well, you're going to struggle.  I had hope that the role players would step up today, but they never really did.  I thought D'Amico played well, but the rest were mediocre or saddled with foul trouble.  And Brown and Rupert were downright brutal.

See you all on Thursday.

I’m not even mad that they were mad at the refs. The first half officiating was actually choppy. The second half it got cleaned up and well we know how the rest of the story goes already. 

I’m more upset that they were sitting on their hands otherwise. That sticks out to me more than complaining about the officiating. 

ReplyQuote
(@85dawg)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Did anyone else notice Jacobson  called a timeout at the end of the game so SIU could get their seniors in the game? When SIU still had a timeout.
Does that tell us anything?

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @85dawg

Did anyone else notice Jacobson  called a timeout at the end of the game so SIU could get their seniors in the game? When SIU still had a timeout.

That was a classy move. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @85dawg

He wanted to give the SIU Seniors an ovation 

ReplyQuote
Class of 69
(@class-of-69)

Posted by: @oberkfell

Thursday isn’t such a bad, I was born on a Thursday.   

🤣 

ReplyQuote
siufan6
(@siufan6)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: @goroshnik

If the ESPN box score is correct, X played all 40 minutes today.  Nothing like running your star player into the ground right before you need him in the MVC tourney.

Coming into today, X racked up 36.3 minutes per game, 20th highest in the nation.  

This has been a continuous theme with Mullins. He did the same with Domask. 

He should have pulled him out during garbage time at Bradley too the other night. 

This is why I think it will be hard for us ever to win in St Louis. By the time we get there, our best players are ran into the ground playing 38 plus minutes every game.

ReplyQuote
goroshnik
(@goroshnik)

Posted by: @siufan6

He should have pulled him out during garbage time at Bradley too the other night. 

This is why I think it will be hard for us ever to win in St Louis. By the time we get there, our best players are ran into the ground playing 38 plus minutes every game.

Both Xavier and Brown are among the top five in the Valley in minutes per game.  D'Amico's a bit further down in 17th.  But yep, running these guys all year long usually means either a lack of bench strength... or a coach unwilling to use the bench to give his starters rest.

siufan6 reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @siufan6

Wish I could argue this point more. I think the antidote to that, in theory, would be to have more quality players so you’re not so reliant on 1-2 guys to carry you.

Paging Jerrance Howard.

Fraydog and siufan6 reacted
ReplyQuote
goroshnik
(@goroshnik)

Posted by: @johnny-utah

Probably unnoticed by many but McGee walked off the bench and went to the locker room with around 3 mins to go. A person from the coaching staff appeared to go to the locker room and talk him into returning.  Judging by the reaction of other players on the end of the bench, I’d say it was being upset over not playing.

Cross never got a single second on the floor either... looks like Mullins forgot the unwritten rule that you either give your seniors the start to honor them, and then pull Cross and McGee after the first foul or timeout, or you put them in at the end of the game when the outcome's already been decided, again, to at least honor them for sticking around.

Mullins did neither, because he simply forgets he HAS a bench.

beadmedaddio, Fraydog, ReSaluki 88 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Probably unnoticed by many but McGee walked off the bench and went to the locker room with around 3 mins to go. A person from the coaching staff appeared to go to the locker room and talk him into returning.  Judging by the reaction of other players on the end of the bench, I’d say it was being upset over not playing.

Cross never got a single second on the floor either... looks like Mullins forgot the unwritten rule that you either give your seniors the start to honor them, and then pull Cross and McGee after the first foul or timeout, or you put them in at the end of the game when the outcome's already been decided, again, to at least honor them for sticking around.

Rewarding deep bench guys/walk-ons with token minutes late does not seem to be a priority for Mullins in general. Realize it was a crucial game, but I wish Cross and McGee (especially Cross) had gotten in there.

This post was modified 3 months ago by siudawgs

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @siudawgs

Rewarding deep bench guys/walk-ons with token minutes late does not seem to be a priority for Mullins in general. Realize it was a crucial game, but I wish Cross and McGee (especially Cross) had gotten in there.

That was shitty. That game was over with a couple of minutes left, and he couldn't put them in for some token time? 

(Inflammatory political snark)

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)

Welp, two months ago I said that we'd finish 6th, win a Thursday game in the Lou and then get bounced on Friday... sadly, the first part's coming true.

And as far back as the pasting of St. Louis, other posters and I predicted that X would be gassed by season's end. 

And here we are. 

But wait! He scored 24 points today! 

Just cut it out. Today's X was nothing like December/January X. 

(Inflammatory political snark)

BleedFknMaroon25, Rockin' Dawg, INSaluki and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

Could have swore the reason we didn't play well against Bradley was because we were just so focused on today...

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 11

Share: