MVC Expansion

294 Posts
41 Users
186 Likes
18.8 K Views
Mdogs1
(@mdogs1)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I don’t see either UIC or UT-Arlington EVERY having a large fan base and bringing a large contingent of fans to ST Louis. They are both in Major Metro areas and are way down the pecking order in those respective Cities. Look at Loyola for example they have had Major success and they can’t even average over 3,000 for there home game’s. I can see adding UIC, the Chicago market is VERY important to a lot of the Valley schools.  UT-Arlington does have potential, they have a great on campus arena and it is a good academic school. I am hoping for the best. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mdogs1

I don’t see either UIC or UT-Arlington EVERY having a large fan base and bringing a large contingent of fans to ST Louis. They are both in Major Metro areas and are way down the pecking order in those respective Cities. Look at Loyola for example they have had Major success and they can’t even average over 3,000 for there home game’s. I can see adding UIC, the Chicago market is VERY important to a lot of the Valley schools.  UT-Arlington does have potential, they have a great on campus arena and it is a good academic school. I am hoping for the best. 

You don't think a huge fanbase like UT Arlington is gonna travel 13 hours to see their team in St. Louis?  🤣

Arch Madness is gonna be a ghost town if they don't get SIU, Illinois State, or Bradley in the semifinals.  Better off moving it to where the women's tournament is played now if they don't add Murray State.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Mdogs1
(@mdogs1)

@salukiworld I agree  let’s face it Wichita and Creighton are gone. For the Valley to thrive SIU, Bradley, (sorry Barkeep)Missouri State and Illinois State have to get better.  They all have the potential to bring large fan bases. 

usmcsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

@salukiworld I agree  let’s face it Wichita and Creighton are gone. For the Valley to thrive SIU, Bradley, (sorry Barkeep)Missouri State and Illinois State have to get better.  They all have the potential to bring large fan bases. 

Or the MVC could forget market size and bring in a big passionate fanbase that brings a sea of yellow to Evansville every year in Murray State.  UIC & Murray State should be the adds.  You replace Loyola with a school in the same city with a bunch of potential like Loyola had and you get the team that can win now that brings fans to Arch Madness and brings more credence nationally to the Missouri Valley because Murray State is one of the most well-known mid-majors out there right now because of what they've done the last decade and who they've had drafted to the NBA.  

Seems easy to me but sounds like it's gonna be UIC and UT Arlington.  Guessing we'll see more movement from Valley schools if this doesn't work out.

1DAWG, Misty and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)

I assume it’s not just SIU that doesn’t want Murray.  I can’t see why the private schools would want them. No market for potential students and no additional TV revenue.  I also assume TV revenue (dictated by market size) brings in more money than butts in seats at Arch Madness.  If Murray won’t join the MVC without also joining the MVFC, then I don’t see them ever getting in unless they make major improvements to their football program.  

ReplyQuote
Front Row
(@front-row)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Loyola would average more fans if they had a bigger facility… Their gym only holds around 3,200…

I think part of the UIC and UTA adds is that they’ll need to infuse more marketing to promote their athletics programs and get people in the door.

UIC will benefit immediately because of us, ISU, Bradley, and Valpo fans that live in the area. Loyola definitely benefitted from this incentive when they joined. The FF run was just the cherry on top to bring their fans through the gates. 

UIC will also give their fans something the be excited about. They have a ton of commuter students and playing the MVC might be enticing enough for students to move on campus or stay out later for a game.

Since 2015, the Flames saw higher attendance numbers against MVC teams compared to conference games. Of the 5 games, they only had 2 matches with below average attendance both those games were against a bad Loyola team during winter break, and a mediocre Bradley team also during winter break. 

Its a toss up with UT-A on if the Valley will help with attendance. They hosted Bradley in 2015, attendance was half of AA. But in 2018, the Mavericks hosted UNI on homecoming at it blew out their AA by a large sum. So maybe the Dallas alumni associations will bring fans to games?  

Either way this came down to money and broadcast money. Hopefully the Mavericks will get some games on FS-Dallas or whatever it’s called now. 

Twitter: CPTNDONUTS
Former WIDB Sports Director and Dawg Pound President. Since my freshmen year, SIU Basketball has not appeared in a NCAA or NIT postseason game.

Salukifan32 and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
(@misty)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Not adding Murray St would be a monumental mistake, particularly after losing Loyola’s program. There is a real risk of the conference falling into irrelevance and not having the Final on CBS or Arch Madness itself within 10 years.

Additionally, I find SIU to be more relevant when there’s a rivalry of hatred, like there would be with Murray. We don’t have that right now. 

1DAWG and usmcsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
Bleacher Bum
(@bleacher-bum)

poor, poor maury state. 😫 

if true it seems the MVC doesn't want to add a one dimensional school.

PackerDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @bleacher-bum

You do realize that one dimension is what the MVC traditionally has hung its hat on, not to mention why the majority of posters post and care about Saluki athletics?

1DAWG reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @siudawgs
Posted by: @bleacher-bum

You do realize that one dimension is what the MVC traditionally has hung its hat on, not to mention why the majority of posters post and care about Saluki athletics?

The Missouri Valley as a conference is one-dimensional and that's not a bad thing.  It's a basketball conference and that's where the money comes in.  Shit, they added Dallas Baptist just for baseball because they're a one-dimensional baseball school

1DAWG and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

“As we get to the end of December, it appears UIC is "done deal"; with UMKC on the outside looking in and still TBD on UTA & Murray State”

per Matt Brown 

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @saluki-69
Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17
Posted by: @barkeep-1967

I was just told the MVC is only going to 12.  Now I can not verify this but this guy has been right before. I’m not gonna tell you the 2 teams he mentioned but neither is from Kentucky 

I’m gonna guess they’re from Illinois and Texas?

Find the easter egg.  😉 

I found a pretty good hint on one of the schools here.  But nothing on the other school and nothing on any other forum.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places lol

ReplyQuote
(@usmcsaluki)

It would be completely foolish to pass on Murray.

1DAWG and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Posted by: @saluki-69
Posted by: @barkeep-1967

I was just told the MVC is only going to 12.  Now I can not verify this but this guy has been right before. I’m not gonna tell you the 2 teams he mentioned but neither is from Kentucky 

I’m gonna guess they’re from Illinois and Texas?

Find the easter egg.  😉 

I found a pretty good hint on one of the schools here.  But nothing on the other school and nothing on any other forum.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places lol

There is only one for now. We are just not sure on the other one 

ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)

I care about quality basketball. I care about rivalries and competition. I care about the optics of rabid fans supporting their teams at home games and at Arch Madness. If those aren't the top priorities driving the minds of the decision makers besides money and market only, then what does the MVC hope to become?

Fear never leads to success, it instead induces paralysis that can only serve as a ward to keep one from it.

If you care about the MVC as a basketball conference, then Murray is a must-add.

--Insert something witty here--

1DAWG, rafflaw, usmcsaluki and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 20

Share: