[Closed] MVC expansion thread

183 Posts
30 Users
160 Reactions
13.4 K Views
beadmedaddio
(@beadmedaddio)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Firstly, we don't qualify for FBS at this time.  If I'm not mistaken, you must have average attendance of at least 15,000 per game (it might be 20,000 but I'm too lazy to look it up).  Secondly, I don't think we could afford the extra 22 scholies FBS offers (63 FCS/85 FBS).  And you must have more major sports than we offer.  It's like 16-18 full sports offered.  There are still more requirements.  

In the late 70'sand early 80's I was on the student advisory board for Title 9.  Thinking back I'm sure it was only for window dressing.  We would rarely meet with Gale Sayers (the AD), but we saw him occasionally.  We would make recommendations as to how many more male sports to get rid of and replace with women's.  As to football, we had to move down to FCS (1AA back then).  The requirements were different.  Now don't hold me to these numbers, but average attendance had to be 30,000 to 40,000 per game and the stadium had to have seating of 40,000 to 50,000 between the goal lines.  Of course, The Mac wasn't even close.  

I'm not sayin' -- I'm just sayin'!

Spike
(@spike)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Most schools don't hit the average attendance mark. NIU for example hasn't hit it in years. 

I think its funny people will whine about the university struggling financially and sinking and then get so angry when someone mentions cutting a sport that is ridiculously expensive and no one cares about and does nothing for the university outside of being a money anchor.

Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  

Ok we are done here 

INSaluki and Sandman95 reacted
Page 13 / 13

Share: