Golf Coach Kaufmann Resigns

16 Posts
6 Users
6 Likes
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Men's and Women's coach and former Saluki suddenly resigns - no reason given. Two-time MVC Coach of the Year in a short 4-year stint!

"This was an exceedingly difficult decision for me to make as I had envisioned spending the rest of my professional career coaching the Salukis," Kaufman said. "I am extremely proud of my two conference championships and the determination my teams have shown in the face of adversity the last two years."

"As sad and disappointing as my decision may be, I still wish nothing but the best for my alma mater," Kaufman said.

Weird and very surprising. Wonder if it was over salary! 

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Another resignation?

The last couple years has seen quite the string of seemingly good coaches stepping down.

Fetcho in men's golf in 2020, Stein in women's b-ball this year, Blaylock in softball this year, and now Kaufmann (and at one point it looked like Hanson, the swim coach, would be out).

ReplyQuote
(@georgia)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

If what Diane D says is true(and no reason not to believe her) and Kaufman was getting paid less than Fetcho/MihelichOBrien combined then she should have resigned.   We just make baffling decisions sometimes.  

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @georgia

If what Diane D says is true(and no reason not to believe her) and Kaufman was getting paid less than Fetcho/MihelichOBrien combined then she should have resigned.   We just make baffling decisions sometimes.  

Times are tough post-pandemic and even before the pandemic for SIU as a school.  It's unfortunate but I'd much rather allocate our dollars to our revenue sports like Men's/Women's Basketball, Football, Baseball, and Softball even at the risk of unfortunately losing good coaches in golf.  

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Times are tough post-pandemic and even before the pandemic for SIU as a school.  It's unfortunate but I'd much rather allocate our dollars to our revenue sports like Men's/Women's Basketball, Football, Baseball, and Softball even at the risk of unfortunately losing good coaches in golf.  

There are significant donors that follow the golf program. Paying a little more and continuing to be successful would probably be a push at worst when giving is taken in consideration. Very short sighted stance.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @resaluki-88

There are significant donors that follow the golf program. Paying a little more and continuing to be successful would probably be a push at worst when giving is taken in consideration. Very short sighted stance.

If there are donors out there that wanted to pony up and keep the golf coach, I'm sure SIU would be thrilled to make that happen.  But we're paying Mullins and Rhodes pretty well compared to the rest of the MVC and at least Rhodes is likely going to need an extension in the near future.  Not sure what the last contract looks like compared to the rest of the MVFC but Nick Hill was vastly underpaid in his last contract.  If you want to keep the football program rolling, you might have to pony up for him soon. 

If the budget is there though, then I agree you shouldn't be grossly underpaying your coaches.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

@georgia 

DD said something about the pay?

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

You're either D1 or you aren't. I was upset when we dropped gymnastics - stupid decision when we were a national power. Then we dropped an inexpensive sport in tennis with a very good and very underpaid coach doing double duty.   We don't need to be dropping any more sports, and letting a successful coach (and alum) go over (evidently) a few bucks is just stupid.  We can find the money. Cut a few administrator's salaries.

NIU has men's soccer, tennis, and wrestling, women's gymnastics, and tennis (and they spend a LOT more money than we do on football.)

ReplyQuote
(@georgia)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Diane Daugherty

she was actually making less for coaching both programs than what they paid the previous mens coach that quit in the middle of the season

Woogers-that is what she said on the SIU athletics FB post 
This post was modified 2 years ago by Georgia

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

This seems significant for the Men’s golf program. 

https://twitter.com/siusalukis/status/1532392706667945988?s=21&t=WIdkwlkKsskgyxg_SnQDQg

ReplyQuote
carrcar
(@carrcar)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @saluki44

This seems significant for the Men’s golf program. 

https://twitter.com/siusalukis/status/1532392706667945988?s=21&t=WIdkwlkKsskgyxg_SnQDQg

Great news. Justin is the man and an Eldorado native! However, I'm guessing this is not going to sit well with D.D. and possibly some other folks. Especially if Justin is going to get more $ than Kaufmann. I also noticed the release stated athletic director Kupec and didn't add the word interim. Subtle, but possibly very telling!

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@resaluki-88 Good catch. I hope they make an announcement soon if in fact Kupec is staying on.

Early results are pretty encouraging for Kupec, in my opinion. Getting Bond-White for WBB and Fetcho back for Men's golf appear on the surface to be pretty good gets. 

Next thing I'll be looking for is if he can manage to get Rhodes a pay bump.

rafflaw and ReSaluki 88 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Fetcho left before for financial considerations, then turned up as an assistant at FSU last year. He only coached the men before and did a great job. I have to assume he's getting considerably more money than he did before.

Still don't get their unwillingness to pay Kaufmann more. Just have a feeling there was more to it than meets the eye. The women's team was pretty bad last year - maybe they felt she wasn't up to handling both teams. That's certainly not an ideal situation for any coach.

Fetcho will do a great job. Sounds like they're still looking for a women's coach ??? 

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Well, here’s an explanation:

https://twitter.com/SIUSalukis/status/1532392706667945988

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Share: