54 Posts
10 Users
21 Likes
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/SIU_Baseball/status/1730332683597955528

Seems like they got scared off by a tougher schedule last year and decided to go the complete opposite direction.  I know scheduling is tough but this is brutal.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
1DAWG
(@1dawg)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

@salukiworld I agree.  Weak schedule.  I loved it when Itchy started many seasons with games against the University of Miami.  Just kind of set the tone by indicating SIU is good enough to compete with them and gave the team a good wake up call to start the season.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Seems like they got scared off by a tougher schedule last year and decided to go the complete opposite direction.  I know scheduling is tough but this is brutal.

Maybe if he would actually recruit prep players to try and build a program instead of JUCOs and transfers every year and having constant turnover they could have something. 

Really thinking Lance isn't the guy.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @spike

Maybe if he would actually recruit prep players to try and build a program instead of JUCOs and transfers every year and having constant turnover they could have something. 

Lance has been a Godsend for the program although the JUCO recruiting does limit the ceiling of the program I think

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Surprised to see someone say that. All he’s done is win in his 4 seasons here and he’s hardly gotten started. 

ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)

In three seasons, he has finished tied for third. Fourth. And 1st. The year the finished first was with a bunch of COVID seniors/graduate students.

In the two other years his teams are 77-44 and 30-25 in conference play while losing to any halfway decent team they play. They have never come close to an at large. Last year they were 2 and out at the MVC tournament without being very competitive and struggling to finish .500 in conference play.

All 3 seasons have seen massive roster turnover and changes because he refuses to recruit any non JUCO or mediocre portral transfer player. There is literally not a single prep player on this team. Not a single Freshman or sophomore.

You can't build a program by perpetually rebuilding and replacing your roster every two years. He is running it like a damn JUCO program and while you'll have random good years it's mostly going to be mediocre as your team is essentially brand new every year.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

No Illinois or other Big 10 teams. Certainly the weakest schedule in a long time. I don't get it.

I agree we need to have a mix of JC and high school recruits. Develop players and have some roster stability.

On the other hand, Lance's record compared to the previous coach is outstanding so far.

LR's record:

2020:  12 - 6 (no conference - covid)

2021: 40 - 20, 15 - 13 (finished 4th in MVC)

2022: 44 - 16, 16 - 5 (Conference Champs for the first time in 32 years)

2023: 30 - 27, 15 - 12 (finished 3rd in MVC)

SalukiWorld and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @mr_woogers

No Illinois or other Big 10 teams. Certainly the weakest schedule in a long time. I don't get it.

Plenty of SEC teams within drivable distance too.  With no Dallas Baptist in your conference, there's no reason to not play 1 or 2 SEC/Big Ten teams. 

With a schedule like this, they're not gonna be in at-large conversation unless they win 50+.  44 wins wasn't enough 2 years ago and they had Dallas Baptist in the MVC.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

In three seasons, he has finished tied for third. Fourth. And 1st. The year the finished first was with a bunch of COVID seniors/graduate students.

In the two other years his teams are 77-44 and 30-25 in conference play while losing to any halfway decent team they play. They have never come close to an at large. Last year they were 2 and out at the MVC tournament without being very competitive and struggling to finish .500 in conference play.

All 3 seasons have seen massive roster turnover and changes because he refuses to recruit any non JUCO or mediocre portral transfer player. There is literally not a single prep player on this team. Not a single Freshman or sophomore.

You can't build a program by perpetually rebuilding and replacing your roster every two years. He is running it like a damn JUCO program and while you'll have random good years it's mostly going to be mediocre as your team is essentially brand new every year.

You can argue all you want about the roster makeup, but not his results. He’s a young coach who turned around the program instantly.

SalukiWorld reacted
ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)

They have finished basically 500 in the Valley with early non-competitive exits from the conference tourney in two of his 3 full sessons.

The one successful year they had was built on grad transfers and covid seniors.  

And that team was basically gone next year with a mostly new lineup and pitching staff because he can't build a team.

If that is what you consider "turned around" that is just sad. 

ReplyQuote
1DAWG
(@1dawg)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

The schedule is lame.  Someone needs to ask Coach Rhodes why.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

They have finished basically 500 in the Valley with early non-competitive exits from the conference tourney in two of his 3 full sessons.

The one successful year they had was built on grad transfers and covid seniors.  

And that team was basically gone next year with a mostly new lineup and pitching staff because he can't build a team.

If that is what you consider "turned around" that is just sad. 

I'd give him some time - way way better than the previous coach.

46 - 30 in the MVC - a good ways above 500.

I agree this is a suckass wimpy schedule. Maybe he thinks we're going to suck next year.

This post was modified 5 months ago by Mr_Woogers

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

https://mvc-sports.com/news/2024/2/5/indiana-state-favored-in-2024-baseball-preseason-poll.aspx

Baseball picked 5th this year. Indiana St picked 1st again.

Season starts Fri 6:30 at Northwestern State (La.). Also Sat. and Sun.

All games on ESPN+.

https://siusalukis.com/news/2024/2/15/preview-saluki-baseball-opens-2024-with-weekend-series-at-northwestern-state

rafflaw and Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Preview with Lance Rhodes:

https://siusalukis.com/watch/search?Archive=7386&type=Archive

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)