2023 Basketball Recruiting

1,466 Posts
78 Users
1554 Reactions
110.8 K Views
Spike
(@spike)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

EvanMaya is trash. Not sure why this board takes them so seriously.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1639065451958263808

6-6 Junior from Chicago.  Averaged 11.2 PPG, 3.9 RPG, 1.6 APG 

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
terrier1
(@terrier1)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

@salukiworld but would Mullins play him?

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
DR222
(@dr222)

Posted by: @dr222

@siu_2011

I only see one for sure open scholarship for next year.  That scholarship is due to Jawaun Newton completing his NCAA eligibility. 

J.D. Muila - Still has a COVID year of eligibility left after this year.

Trent Brown - Still has a COVID year remaining and I'm sure he would want to take advantage of it to complete a graduate degree in Finance.  Of course he could be offered a Graduate Assistant position and receive financial aid for that.  We will see.

JR Jacobs - I believe this young man is red shirting this year as a Walk-On.  He may be working for a future scholarship when one is available.

So as of right now, I believe there is only one scholarship available for the 2023-2024 season.  Things do have a way of opening up in this age of the Transfer Portal though.

Just my thoughts and observations.

From this post by Dawgs Basketball on Twitter, its pretty clear that JD Muila will not return next season.  This should open a second scholarship for 2023.

https://twitter.com/Dawgs_MBB/status/1638936938521436160/photo/1

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

I’m pretty sure he was out of years 

ReplyQuote
beadmedaddio
(@beadmedaddio)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@dr222 And Christmas comes early for Spike.

I'm not sayin' -- I'm just sayin'!

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @barkeep-1967

I’m pretty sure he was out of years 

You are correct Barkeep. Muila was not eligible for a covid year because he did not play during the 2020/21 season. If he had played that season he would have been eligible for the extra year. Any player who played in 20/21 is eligible for the extra year. Dalton Banks class will be the last class eligible for the extra covid year. Dalton would normally be a senior next year, but he has the option of an extra covid year in 24/25 since he played as a true freshman in 20/21. The only players on SIU's current roster eligible for an extra covid year are X, Marcus, Trent and Lance for an extra year next year and Dalton for an extra year the following year. As noted, it will be their choice as to whether they choose to exercise the extra year.  

INSaluki, Kyle_Saluki_17, SalukiWorld and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Maroonloon
(@maroonloon)

Posted by: @beadmedaddio

🤣 

March on triumphantly!

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

JD was a better player than Spike gave him credit for - good rebounder and defensive player, played very hard. Injuries really messed with his career.

His Daliesque free throw form was a thing of wonder, and I'll never forget it! 🙂

Good luck to JD in future endeavors.

Salukifan32, Kyle_Saluki_17, ReSaluki 88 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)

Posted by: @mr_woogers

JD was a better player than Spike gave him credit for - good rebounder and defensive player, played very hard. Injuries really messed with his career.

His Daliesque free throw form was a thing of wonder, and I'll never forget it! 🙂

He was mediocre defensively and as a rebounder. Opposing posts tended to score at will against him because he was slow and had poor positioning. He wasnt very athletic. He didn't alter shots and could have been called for a moving screen every time he attempted one. Probably one of the worst offensive players to ever set foot on an NCAA court. 

I didn't hate Muila. By all accounts he seemed like a nice, down to earth kid. 

But when he is a big part of your team, your team isn't going to be good. 

If he was the 13th scholarship on the end of the bench who only played when the game was in hand or if necessary because of fouls or injury he would have been fine.

But when a player like that gets major minutes it is a big issue for your team and the players who he is stealing minutes from because he added less than nothing offensively and very little defensively.

I wish him luck in life.

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Why did you have to wake up Spike

INSaluki and ReSaluki 88 reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @spike

Posted by: @mr_woogers

He was mediocre defensively and as a rebounder. Opposing posts tended to score at will against him because he was slow and had poor positioning. He wasnt very athletic. He didn't alter shots and could have been called for a moving screen every time he attempted one. Probably one of the worst offensive players to ever set foot on an NCAA court. 

I didn't hate Muila. By all accounts he seemed like a nice, down to earth kid. 

But when he is a big part of your team, your team isn't going to be good. 

If he was the 13th scholarship on the end of the bench who only played when the game was in hand or if necessary because of fouls or injury he would have been fine.

But when a player like that gets major minutes it is a big issue for your team and the players who he is stealing minutes from because he added less than nothing offensively and very little defensively.

I wish him luck in life.

I love when people expose themselves as clueless basketball minds. Mulia was not mediocre on defense. You pointing to obvious things like altering and blocking shots is what pretty novice basketball minds do. His ability to hedge and recover on ball screens was about 10x superior to any big on the team. There’s a reason the teams metrics with Mulia on the floor defensively were significantly better than when he was off. Saying his defense was mediocre is frankly hilarious… we had 1 big who could switch onto a guard and stay in front of them, a unique trait for a big guy and that was Mulia. 

offense obviously was terrible and I think he should have played less because of it, but he was a very good defensive player.

Saluki44, rafflaw, Quatros Saluki and 8 people reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

@saluki-4-life 

Hate, as well as ignorance blinds vision indeed !!!!

ReplyQuote
Psychodawg
(@psychodawg)
Saluki Stadium Poster

I am going to email Coach Mullins and volunteer to help during next season.  I could sit on Cade's shoulders and dunk in close games.  My age should not be a problem as 78 is not that old.  Go SIU.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Psychodawg

WOOF!

ReplyQuote
Page 42 / 98

Share: