2023-24 Offseason Discussion

56 Posts
14 Users
37 Likes
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster
Topic starter  

I wanted to get an offseason specific thread going (I know we have one for the transfer portal.

Big offseason for Hill and staff. A lot of talent still there, but a bunch key positions to fill. Offense: QB, WR, RB, upgrade O-Line. Defense: DL, CB, S. They have been able to add some instant impact via the transfer portal as evidenced by the all newcomer team. I think we’ll need a combination of transfers and backups to step up next year to be successful.

That’s assuming no coaches leave…I have a feeling Antonio James will be in demand. Could get interesting really fast if he leaves.

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

If James were to leave hopefully a current member can step up the way he did and keep the philosophy and style in place and get the right guys to replace who we lose

ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

Petrino leaving is the best thing to happen to us this year. I hope James sticks around cause he killed it. I do suspect he'll get some interest

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

We will probably instantly get an upgrade at LT with Noah Fenske being eligible. 

rafflaw and SalukiWorld reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

I really hope they seriously take a look at FBS QB transfers in the portal.  I don't think you can afford to take a step back if Hunter Simmons isn't ready, the MVFC will eat you alive.  Also need 1 or 2 playmakers at WR.  

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

We will probably instantly get an upgrade at LT with Noah Fenske being eligible. 

Agree. I am also wondering if there are any friends of Noah still at Colorado that are considering the transfer portal. That may very well be something to look into. I assume that there are many FBS programs that will lose players to the portal, the key is finding a couple of difference makers. 

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

I really hope they seriously take a look at FBS QB transfers in the portal.  I don't think you can afford to take a step back if Hunter Simmons isn't ready, the MVFC will eat you alive.  Also need 1 or 2 playmakers at WR.  

Certainly would be nice to land a player like Idaho has in Jefferson. Speed like that in the FCS is pretty rare. Is Simmons the next star QB, or does Lindauer have a chance to prove himself? He is a former starter at Cincinnati correct?

ReplyQuote
(@valleyfb)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Tomorrow is team meeting. I’m guessing there will be a much clearer picture of what’s needed in the offseason. 

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

Posted by: @tj-mcflys

Certainly would be nice to land a player like Idaho has in Jefferson. Speed like that in the FCS is pretty rare. Is Simmons the next star QB, or does Lindauer have a chance to prove himself? He is a former starter at Cincinnati correct?

No he backed up Desmond Ridder 

TJ McFlys reacted
ReplyQuote
(@valleyfb)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@tj-mcflys Simmons won QB2. Both have 2 years remaining? Simmons maybe 3.  Not sure. Lindauer missed all of 21 & 22 season from shoulder surgery. 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

We have 14 seniors - I assume they're all gone - and a number of them are starters. Probably lose a few players via the portal.

I have no idea what the RB situation is. Leshaun Lester got some play, Jimmy Athens returned some kickoffs, but not sure anybody else got any playing time. Ro is gone so it is super important to get that shifty back who can break a long one.

D'ante Cox is gone. Hartrup, Gibson and others are back. I wasn't as impressed with Hartrup this year as last. D'ante was easily our best WR and we need a guy with that speed and those great hands.

PJ Jules is gone too. Need a lot of defenders.

Lots of good players to replace.

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster
Topic starter  

Honestly, what the defense is losing has me worried the most. The entire starting DL is gone. I like what I saw from Reeves on the interior, but who are the edge rushers going to be?!? Obviously Jules is a huge loss and we lose 1/2 of our starting CB duo in Johnson. I know we get Miller back from injury but was not super impressed with him. Iverson Brown is gone as well so that’s two safeties we need to replace (one that can play down in the box and one that is more of a cover guy). The only position group that feels good at the moment is LB as we only lose Burrola, who is a big loss, but we are so deep there I think we’ll be fine. I don’t want to think about losing or coordinator right now so we’ll leave that for another day.

If we can maintain a defense that plays that well we don’t have to have a huge jump in offensive production (I would still like to have it) to compete next year. We for sure have holes to fill on offense, but I’m hoping we can maintain that defensive production, especially early in the season to give our offense some time to gel.

Saluki44 and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

QB Kyle McCord, WR Julian Fleming, and RB Evan Taylor of Ohio State just entered the portal.

That nicely plugs three holes on our team!! 😁

Salukifan32 and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

Hartrup is in the portal

https://twitter.com/izaiahhartrup/status/1731752624356000176?s=46&t=7s0hTttieSER8wqRSA0LoA

Nobody should be surprised by this

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4

Share: