(@saluki-69)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

beadmedaddio reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @saluki-69

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/siu/a-new-front-porch-for-southern-illinois-university/article_65bf69de-e5bd-11ed-a378-e347d8b7ed82.html

Several years back they had a new Alumni Center planned there - off the main entrance to campus from  Illinois Avenue/Rt. 51 - I saw artist renderings of the building. Without adequate funding (and enrollment bombing thanks to the Axis of Evil of Walter Wendler, Brad Coville, Randy Dunn), they took the budget route of revamping Woody Hall as a new Alumni Center. Woody looks great nowadays and there's even a large, tentable (is that a word?) meeting place in the courtyard in the back

I actually think it would be a great idea to have another impressive, beautiful building right at the entrance to SIU, like the impressive student services building. I'd also love to see a beautiful iron arch  over Lincoln Drive that you drive through to come into SIU's campus.

I do question whether that building should be just for the foundation - I think it should be multi-purpose maybe some classroom space or laboratories. I also believe Plant Biology/Agriculture have been wanting some new greenhouses for years now - the old ones look pretty run down.

ReplyQuote
Maroonloon
(@maroonloon)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

It will be a multi-purpose facility and is already privately financed from my understanding. Several other buildings, including a multi-purpose football, band, baseball practice facility are also on the drawing board. And yes, that includes green houses for AG. When it will happen is always about the cash.

March on triumphantly!

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)

Thank you all for sharing this information. There is most definitely a need for an impact structure in the location described. A grand entrance to our beautiful campus and university is well overdue. Private funds would move the project along much faster than all of the red tape the state would require. Sure hope it happens!

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

For those that don’t have access, where would this building be placed in relation to the current Student Services building located next to the student center? That building is already fairly new and looks great as the entrance to the university. 

ReplyQuote
Maroonloon
(@maroonloon)

It would be located directly across from the Student Center and on the site of the old stadium which is now a parking lot.

March on triumphantly!

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki 69
(@saluki-69)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  

I would love to see a new facade on the student center too. It detracts from the main entrance and the student services building with its dated 60s look. 

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @maroonloon

It will be a multi-purpose facility and is already privately financed from my understanding. Several other buildings, including a multi-purpose football, band, baseball practice facility are also on the drawing board. And yes, that includes green houses for AG. When it will happen is always about the cash.

Need a basketball practice facility before football

ReplyQuote
Saluki 69
(@saluki-69)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  

@salukiworld That's for sure. There is absolutely no chance of a financial return on a football investment like that.  I hate to say it, but we all know it's true.

ReplyQuote
Maroonloon
(@maroonloon)

Should have mentioned it above, sorry. It would include a basketball facility. One building to cover all the sports needs and including the band. Again, as I understand it.

March on triumphantly!

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

A practice facility would be big. I think a few Valley schools have them - and possibly dedicated to specific sports.

Seems like I remember reading that Drake has one dedicated to basketball. I could be wrong about that. 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

I would love to see a new facade on the student center too. It detracts from the main entrance and the student services building with its dated 60s look. 

So true! I go by that building weekly and cringe - would love to see an update like they did to Morris Library, along with some architectural changes. Maybe an arched entrance or something - good project for an architecture class.

Think that could be done relatively cheaply.

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @mr_woogers

So true! I go by that building weekly and cringe - would love to see an update like they did to Morris Library, along with some architectural changes. Maybe an arched entrance or something - good project for an architecture class.

Think that could be done relatively cheaply.

I visited Morris when I was in town last time. The upgrades were really nice.

I took advantage of it when I was an undergrad, but now realize just how impressive it is. One of the best university libraries that I've been in. 

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)

Any updates on the Comm Building? What happened to the major renovation project that was supposed to happen? 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @packerdawg

Any updates on the Comm Building? What happened to the major renovation project that was supposed to happen? 

$8mill was released to an architecture firm for design in 2021. Haven't heard a peep since. Same for new greenhouse. The facilities web page hasn't been updated in years. 

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/siu/83-million-communications-building-upgrade-has-been-long-awaited-at-siu-carbondale/article_c83f3c25-3d26-5a17-803c-e1adb87654dc.html

Kinda odd they're talking about a new building when some badly needed upgrades have been put on hold for literally DECADES!

Also, there is major work going on at the Thompson Point dorms currently.

This post was modified 11 months ago 2 times by Mr_Woogers

rafflaw and PackerDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Share: