Clear all

New Building Proposed at SIU

27 Posts
12 Users
27 Likes
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

https://www.wsiltv.com/news/illinois/new-state-of-the-art-siu-carbondale-welcome-center-planned-after-6-million-donation-from/article_e1105458-6ec6-11ee-820d-ff8abaf8f312.html
I love the idea of adding a big new beautiful building to campus, but it just doesn’t make sense to do this when upgrades are needed to classrooms, labs, and lecture halls.  We need a new Communications Building, and we need to upgrade the Engineering building, Neckers, Lawson, Business, etc. etc.  Why do we need a whole new building for the SIU Foundation when most of the classrooms and labs are severely outdated??  That money could go a long way toward attracting top tier professors as well….

I am grateful to the Tedricks for their generous donations but I’d like to see the university put focus into the education infrastructure since a university’s first priority should be…education. 

This post was modified 7 months ago 2 times by PackerDawg

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

I'd feel a lot better about it if it was for academics. Do we need a great big Welcome Center / SIU Foundation?

Really seems like a vanity project with the name in letters bigger than the SIU name on the brick entrance. I'm just glad Boaty McBoatface didn't donate the $6 mill.

AirDawg86 and PackerDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@morris-saluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@packerdawg What's wrong with Faner?  That building will outlast this country.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.”
― Ayn Rand

AirDawg86 and PackerDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)

Faner is awesome. For anyone who hasn't been to campus in a while, it's still quite infamous and loved. Even though it's difficult to navigate, there's a certain charm and reverence when students speak about it. 

AirDawg86, Austinsaluki, Saluki44 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@oledawg)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Posted by: @mr_woogers

I'd feel a lot better about it if it was for academics. Do we need a great big Welcome Center / SIU Foundation?

Really seems like a vanity project with the name in letters bigger than the SIU name on the brick entrance. I'm just glad Boaty McBoatface didn't donate the $6 mill.

I am glad someone is willing to support the University to this degree.  They deserve to have their name on a building.  They were very generous to SIU before this most recent gift…. And just because the artists rendering shows the name that large it in no way means that the finished product will look like that. But I have no issue with it if it does.  

ir

Freedawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Nice looking building at the entrance for sure. The design has changed. 

This post was modified 1 month ago by Mr_Woogers

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Took a run through campus today. It’s as beautiful as ever.

I’m biased, but I contend it’s one of the prettiest campuses in the Midwest.

So much for potential for SIU and Carbondale. 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

I've seen a lot of college campuses and I completely agree. Hard to find a heavily wooded college campus filled with wild dogwoods and redbuds blooming abundantly all over campus, etc. Love the layout too (with the exception of that power plant being so prominent).

When and if the Comm building ever gets redone, should improve that area of campus too. Money was released for design a couple of years ago. State must be holding up the funds for the rebuild.

Maybe someday we will have the money to finish the teardown of abandoned buildings over by the Law school.

ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

I think the campus looks better than ever. We love walking around the campus. We need more students and a basketball practice facility to make it even better.

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @saluki44

Took a run through campus today. It’s as beautiful as ever.

I’m biased, but I contend it’s one of the prettiest campuses in the Midwest.

So much for potential for SIU and Carbondale. 

April, May and autumn always were my favorite times on campus with the change of seasons. Didn't have a car when I was a student, but I never minded walking or riding my bike when the weather was nice during the spring and fall. I've visited quite a few campuses and SIU is right up there with any of them.

This post was modified 1 month ago by AJCSaluki

PackerDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)

Posted by: @mr_woogers

I've seen a lot of college campuses and I completely agree. Hard to find a heavily wooded college campus filled with wild dogwoods and redbuds blooming abundantly all over campus, etc. Love the layout too (with the exception of that power plant being so prominent).

When and if the Comm building ever gets redone, should improve that area of campus too. Money was released for design a couple of years ago. State must be holding up the funds for the rebuild.

Maybe someday we will have the money to finish the teardown of abandoned buildings over by the Law school.

the tear down of those abandoned buildings is one of the officially listed plans in the near future. If anyone is interested all of the future plans are listed on the facilities page. https://facilities.siu.edu/facility-improvements/index.php

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Comm building on hold - been on hold for years now.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2

Share: