New Carbonmurph Construction

64 Posts
10 Users
25 Likes
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

The building that housed Carbondale Cycle just north of the current train station has been razed. That whole area is fenced off now and I believe they're preparing to build the new Transportation Center. Carbondale Cycle moved up the street south of Mary Lou's.

The Burger King by Schnucks was razed a few months ago and they're building a brand new one in the same spot. Murphysboro is building a new McDonald's on the corner of Route 13 and 127 by the Holiday Inn Express. Something new is also going up in Murphysboro across the street from Kentucky Fried Chicken... don't know what. An old building on the south side of 13 in Murph that has been for sale forever has been razed .... don't know if they're going to build something new there.

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

@mr_woogers 

Thank you for sharing information on local construction projects. 

I believe I read somewhere that construction on the new transportation center is to commence at the start of June. Going to be a huge undertaking but also will be a beautiful structure that should promote even more improvements along the Strip. 

ReplyQuote
rabidsaluki
(@rabidsaluki)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @mr_woogers

The building that housed Carbondale Cycle just north of the current train station has been razed. That whole area is fenced off now and I believe they're preparing to build the new Transportation Center. Carbondale Cycle moved up the street south of Mary Lou's.

The Burger King by Schnucks was razed a few months ago and they're building a brand new one in the same spot. Murphysboro is building a new McDonald's on the corner of Route 13 and 127 by the Holiday Inn Express. Something new is also going up in Murphysboro across the street from Kentucky Fried Chicken... don't know what. An old building on the south side of 13 in Murph that has been for sale forever has been razed .... don't know if they're going to build something new there.

The Murphy construction is going to be the new home for the Jackson County Mass Transit District Srrvice.

The Burger King in front of Schnucks is going to be drive through only. 

"The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe." ~Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Went by the Murph construction on the way to depositing $1M in First Mid today. Giant, noisy, 60' machine pounding huge steel beam into the ground - obviously a backup to Kennedy Space Center launchpad destroyed by Elon Musk. KFC might have to move.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

The former Best Buy is now an Old Navy - already open, a Bath and Beauty Works - opening very soon, and an Ulta Beauty - in progress.

Someone told me SIH now owns the University Mall and everyone has to leave except the movie theater (memories of watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show Fridays at midnight). No idea if this is true but seems some former mall businesses are moving across the street.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

The former Best Buy is now an Old Navy - already open, a Bath and Beauty Works - opening very soon, and an Ulta Beauty - in progress.

Someone told me SIH now owns the University Mall and everyone has to leave except the movie theater (memories of watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show Fridays at midnight). No idea if this is true but seems some former mall businesses are moving across the street.

Any idea what SIH plans to do with the mall?

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

Any idea what SIH plans to do with the mall?

No idea but I do know they already have a rehabilitation center inside the mall - maybe they're going to expand that but I wouldn't think they would need that whole mall space.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Noticed that Phoenix Cycle on the strip is for sale. They are directly across the street from the new transportation center construction. I'm wondering if they're going out of business or just wanting to move to a different location. 

The Bike Surgeon moved to what I consider an awful location in Carterville on the frontage Rd. next to 13 - they did that years back and they're still in business. Carbondale Cycle moved across the street up toward Mary Lou's out of necessity, since their old building is now completely gone (was where the new transportation center is going.)

Phoenix and Carbondale Cycle are both nice bike shops, but the bikes they sell are expensive and they have to compete with a place like Walmart or Dick's which sell cheaper bikes but definitely lower quality bikes plus they're put together by a gorilla that lives in the back of the store and works for bananas.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Apparently the downtown Dairy Queen is closing?

https://twitter.com/brianmmunoz/status/1662310699870158850

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Seems like Dairy Queen doesn’t want old places like this. I heard they will be reopening under a different name. I’d laugh if it was a “Dairy King”. 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

DQ on the strip still has a good business. The owner lives in Carbondale.

A Dairy Queen franchise is something like $1.4 million. They'd love to get their greedy corporate hands on those big bucks from a new DQ in Carbondale, which I bet will happen.

(FYI, DQ is owned by Berkshire Hathaway.)

DQ in Murph is very popular.

Culver's blows DQ away in my opinion. Lousy location in Cdale though.

Tastee-Freez is available. Just a few left in the whole country but used to be a serious competitor to DQ. Used to be hundreds of independent ice cream joints in this country.

This post was modified 11 months ago by Mr_Woogers

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

Posted by: @salukiworld

Seems like Dairy Queen doesn’t want old places like this. I heard they will be reopening under a different name. I’d laugh if it was a “Dairy King”. 

I've seen just "Carbondale Ice Cream".  Don't get the point of this for Dairy Queen.  This is probably better for Carbondale because DQ has gone downhill for awhile now.

ReplyQuote
(@garywilsonfan)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

@salukiworld 

I loved that place.  That is where my type 2 diabetes began.

Little Twist and I lived in a apartment a couple of blocks west of there.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5

Share: