89 Users
1504 Likes
48.1 K Views
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin
Topic starter  

I don't think that we could ignore the fact that Kennard Davis will probably get a decent amount of NIL money from DePaul. More than likely more than he could expect at SIU.

ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I would really like to see Scottie, Cade, Clarence and AJ come back. I also think Hensley has a lot of potential. I would add Kennard to that list but I think he is gone.

This post was modified 1 month ago by saluki82

ReplyQuote
(@14_alumdawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Interesting that NJ Benson from Mount Vernon, IL transferred from Mo State to DePaul. Makes you wonder what happened because if he was in Mount Vernon and now at DePaul, I would think Mullins would have been recruiting him for SIU before he went to Mo State. Maybe not, but makes you think. 

I hope this wasn't already said here. I looked for a post but could've missed it.

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Ebube is the ONE player (besides Davis who is reportedly gone) that I covet the most.  I like most of the other players but after seeing what I've seen, I think we can get upgrades via the portal at most other positions *IF* Howard can recruit as previously reported/assumed.  AJ is so athletic so I'd be more than happy to have him back, but he's still raw and needs to shore up his dribbling.  

The one thing I need to remember is that what I've seen from some of the other players might not be a full representation of their overall skill sets.  With Nagy to run a different offense, one that involves actual motion and a mindset on attacking and scoring, some of these players might actually be better suited to stay, while others simply might not fit in.  So, with that, I'll trust Nagy and the staff to determine which of the players they think would be the best fit for the upcoming season and won't complain until at least the first televised scrimmage.  🤣 

Lolton and Austinsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @14_alumdawg

Interesting that NJ Benson from Mount Vernon, IL transferred from Mo State to DePaul. Makes you wonder what happened because if he was in Mount Vernon and now at DePaul, I would think Mullins would have been recruiting him for SIU before he went to Mo State. Maybe not, but makes you think. 

I hope this wasn't already said here. I looked for a post but could've missed it.

SIU offered Benson coming out of high school. I'm sure Mullins knew him well. 

ReplyQuote
(@14_alumdawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: @resaluki-88

But I wonder why he chose MO State over SIU when Mullins was here and now he's following Mullins to DePaul. So he obviously didn't like SIU. Or it could've just been too close to home. Like I said, just makes you wonder why he didn't choose SIU when Bryan was here. 

ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)

Can we all agree that the NIL just isn't being used as it was supposed to?

It was supposed to be a way for players to be compensated while in the NCAA. It was not supposed to be some free agent free for all.

Players aren't even having to do anything to receive money. Just "hey come play here here's some money".

Lolton, SlyDawg, 14_alumdawg and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@14_alumdawg most likely because for the past 5 years this was a terrible school for bigs. We have no idea how to play them and saying we’re gonna score 50 points a game is really bad strategy to get players. Look at all our bigs look how few minutes ebube played. I would have avoided us like the plauge

SIU Alum 05 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: @spike

It was supposed to be a way for players to be compensated while in the NCAA. It was not supposed to be some free agent free for all.

Players aren't even having to do anything to receive money. Just "hey come play here here's some money".

I was in favor of the NIL as it was originally proposed. The NCAA was making a fortune off using images and likenesses in video games, on clothing and other merchandise etc., while those student-athletes on these were getting nothing. The hypocrisy of penalizing student-athletes for ridiculous “improper benefits” while reaping millions off their image was equally ridiculous. We all know that certain schools never seemed to be penalized.

The lack of an organized plan, procedure, of whatever you want to call it for NIL’s has caused it to be nothing more than pay to play. Colleges are now the minor leagues for the pro sports with mid-majors the minor league for the power conferences. This was not the way it was supposed to work, but good luck getting it fixed now.  

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

But I wonder why he chose MO State over SIU when Mullins was here and now he's following Mullins to DePaul. So he obviously didn't like SIU. Or it could've just been too close to home. Like I said, just makes you wonder why he didn't choose SIU when Bryan was here. 

Likely Missouri State paid him more than SIU would have.  Also we had a good group of big men already.

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I think we pulled the offer once Hornecker committed. Hornecker was the more highly rated recruit. He had multiple big conference offers including Kansas State.

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Likely Missouri State paid him more than SIU would have.  Also we had a good group of big men already.

NIL was a baby back then, so I doubt NIL money came into the equation. Also, I know this is being widely violated but schools are not supposed to be able to offer specific amounts of NIL money as a way to entice athletes to sign or transfer. Also, NIL is 3rd party it is not supposed to be run by or administered by the university. The university can monitor the NIL to make sure they are staying in compliance, but cannot run the NIL.

ReplyQuote
Saluki 69
(@saluki-69)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

I think Avila is a perfect illustration of how it should work.  He became somewhat famous due to the goggles and the success, so now he has eyewear companies wanting to sponsor him.  He wasn't straight up paid to play for ISU and there is a legitimate tie in with a "sponsor".  

That's completely unlike a Utah booster buying pickup trucks for every player on the roster and calling it NIL.

Kyle_Saluki_17, Sandman95, Salukifan32 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @saluki-69

I think Avila is a perfect illustration of how it should work.  He became somewhat famous due to the goggles and the success, so now he has eyewear companies wanting to sponsor him.  He wasn't straight up paid to play for ISU and there is a legitimate tie in with a "sponsor".  

That's completely unlike a Utah booster buying pickup trucks for every player on the roster and calling it NIL.

I agree it has completely gotten away from the original intent. Unfortunately, I think much like the transfer portal any restrictions would be struck down by federal judges unless there is federal legislation specifically governing the NIL. The NCAA has absolutely lost all it's power and oversight ability when it comes to both the NIL and the transfer portal.

ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)

Posted by: @saluki-69

I agree it has completely gotten away from the original intent. Unfortunately, I think much like the transfer portal any restrictions would be struck down by federal judges unless there is federal legislation specifically governing the NIL. The NCAA has absolutely lost all it's power and oversight ability when it comes to both the NIL and the transfer portal.

I have said it on here before but all of the non P5 schools as a group(and likely some lower tier P5s as well) have a strong case that the portal and NIL as they operate are a massive anti trust issue and make competition almost impossible.

I agree that players for a time were harshly restricted in when and how they could leave one program for another. But now it has flown too far in the other direction where the portal is just acting as free agency.

It was absurd how much the NCAA made on the backs of these young players but now a school can see a player with potential and throw money at them and call it NIL.

This isn't how either of these were supposed to operate.

ReplyQuote
Page 29 / 91

Share: