Coaching Search

2,457 Posts
112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.7 K Views
saluki82
(@saluki82)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

No matter who they hire we won't know if it's the right person until they have time to succeed or fail. We can jump for joy or constantly complain but all that matters is what happens after they are hired.

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @saluki-4-life

So if we hire this guy who can we get to ask Tim Leonard what happened to his checklist… because we need that answer.

If they had an introductory news conference and I was there, it's the first thing I'd ask (not with a malicious attitude, of course; because he said it at the start, it's a legitimate question). But I live more than 800 miles from Carbondale in retirement, and haven't attended a press conference in many years, anyway. I would hope someone from the Southern Illinoisan or DE would be aggressive enough to ask, but who knows if they'll even cover the news conference.

Any of us can email Leonard, of course -- his email address undoubtedly is in the athletic staff directory -- but it's probably best not to hold our breaths waiting for a response.

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by AJCSaluki

ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

So if we hire this guy who can we get to ask Tim Leonard what happened to his checklist… because we need that answer.

If they had an introductory news conference and I was there, it's the first thing I'd ask. But I live more than 800 miles from Carbondale in retirement, and haven't attended a press conference in many years, anyway. I would hope someone from the Southern Illinoisan or DE would be aggressive enough to ask, but who knows if they'll even cover the news conference.

Any of us can email Leonard, of course -- his email address undoubtedly is in the athletic staff directory -- but it's probably best not to hold our breaths waiting for a response.

if we were to publicly demand a response on behalf of the fans and posters on this fan board I think we might get one… but that would be up to those in charge here. Just a thought.

ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

People in general don’t respond to demands very well, especially in a situation where confidentiality is an important part of the equation. We will know when they tell us.

ReplyQuote
sportsfreak75
(@sportsfreak75)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Matt Varney from 103.5 ESPN asked Leonard some great questions immediately after the Mullins firing. Maybe he'll have the stones to ask the necessary questions after the new hire, too.

SIU Alum 05 reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

If they deem an assistant coach is better than a current or former head coach, then they should not abide by what they've said previously and hire the assistant coach.  I don't want to see them go out and hire IUPUI's head coach just to appease the fanbase because they previously said they want to hire a coach with head coaching experience.  

Rockin' Dawg, Thunnellvision, oberkfell and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

If they had an introductory news conference and I was there, it's the first thing I'd ask. But I live more than 800 miles from Carbondale in retirement, and haven't attended a press conference in many years, anyway. I would hope someone from the Southern Illinoisan or DE would be aggressive enough to ask, but who knows if they'll even cover the news conference.

if we were to publicly demand a response on behalf of the fans and posters on this fan board I think we might get one… but that would be up to those in charge here. Just a thought.

🤣🤣🤣  you do not seem to know the university’s opinion of us 

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

Hopefully we have someone to announce tomorrow. And hopefully it works out. I’ll be rooting for them. But I’ll say this…

This was the problem with entering this game in the first place. Our administration thought we had a top notch job available and they were going to get a “proven” head coach. But those guys rejected. Why? 
1. Our coaching salary isn’t that great

2. Our overall basketball funding isn’t great

3. we don’t have a practice facility. Many of our peers do

4. Our NIL funding isn’t great

5. even though we don’t provide what we should to win this conference, we clearly expect the coach to win it anyway. And there is no patience, as proven by the last group. 

This all may work out, but our administration has definitely struck out compared to what they thought they were going to get. 

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

Hopefully we have someone to announce tomorrow. And hopefully it works out. I’ll be rooting for them. But I’ll say this…

This was the problem with entering this game in the first place. Our administration thought we had a top notch job available and they were going to get a “proven” head coach. But those guys rejected. Why? 
1. Our coaching salary isn’t that great

2. Our overall basketball funding isn’t great

3. we don’t have a practice facility. Many of our peers do

4. Our NIL funding isn’t great

5. even though we don’t provide what we should to win this conference, we clearly expect the coach to win it anyway. And there is no patience, as proven by the last group. 

This all may work out, but our administration has definitely struck out compared to what they thought they were going to get. 

You can probably add administrative instability to the list. Coaches probably don’t love the idea of taking a job somewhere as the chancellor is interviewing for other jobs.

But salary and NIL are likely the big ones.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @salukiworld

If they deem an assistant coach is better than a current or former head coach, then they should not abide by what they've said previously and hire the assistant coach.  I don't want to see them go out and hire IUPUI's head coach just to appease the fanbase because they previously said they want to hire a coach with head coaching experience.  

Completely agree - Leonard's "specs" are flexible. People on here act like his speech was a legal contract!  He's going to (and should) hire who he thinks is the best candidate, regardless of the framework for candidates he mentioned.

If I was the AD, I'd go after Schertz with a million dollar offer. Probably wouldn't work, but it's worth a shot.

Some people have a knack for a rebuild and some don't - could even be a HS coach or even Smithpeters (but I have my doubts). Spradling could be a complete disaster, Kent Williams could be great, etcetera, etcetera. Time will tell.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Mr_Woogers

ReplyQuote
Thunnellvision
(@thunnellvision)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

The guys were here to win. They were here. It didn’t happen. You see what they’re doing at Illinois and Purdue.
We didn’t win. We never even sniffed an NIT. We never sniffed the top 100, for god sakes.

A change was needed, a change will happen, and we won’t know how to judge it until the hiring is made and the results are shown on the court.

This self-defeatism that runs in the fanbase, ‘oh, woah is us! We can’t compete!’ is absolute garbage.

The only thing mentioned above that I’ll definitely cater to is the need for NIL investment. We’re behind, and we need to at least compete with the likes of Indiana State in that area (we’re not).

I have faith (which many people here seemingly do not), that when that machine gets going, that we can build a solid program and compete at a higher level. Not talking about getting the tournament, or even winning games in the tournament…we’re just talking about SNIFFING an NIT for crying out loud. That didn’t happen, and based on the recruiting/portal usage/coaching of the last 5 years, it didn’t look like it was going to happen with the previous regime. That said, I think we all love and believe that Bryan Mullins will be successful down the road. He’s a good dude.

A guy with true major associate P5 coaching experience OR a midmajor HC from a conference just below us could be the recipe. I think both parties are more qualified than our previous candidate was; just my two cents.

God, please give us a coach; I don’t want to re-hash the firing again.

Bow Em

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

This was the problem with entering this game in the first place. Our administration thought we had a top notch job available and they were going to get a “proven” head coach. But those guys rejected.

You know that for sure??? Doubt it. This whole thread is fantasy land.

ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I'm not sure what's so bad about hiring an Associate Head Coach from a successful Big 10 program?  If he's the best candidate, so be it. 

Thunnellvision, Saloukeyfan, Salukifan32 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

Posted by: @mr_woogers

This was the problem with entering this game in the first place. Our administration thought we had a top notch job available and they were going to get a “proven” head coach. But those guys rejected.

You know that for sure??? Doubt it. This whole thread is fantasy land.

The information I know for sure didn’t come from this thread. 

ReplyQuote
(@danny58745)
Dawg Pound Poster

@kyle_saluki_17 honestly I'm gonna cry myself to sleep bc we don't have a coach and 3 players. I've been a fan of siu since I was a kid because my grandfather was on the basketball team and was the captain of the team his junior and senior year, I will never stop being an siu fan matter how bad it gets, but it still makes me want to cry knowing our team has 3 players and no coach

ReplyQuote
Page 104 / 164

Share: