Coaching Search

2,457 Posts
112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.5 K Views
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I am so tired of the bs how about no speculation and some facts ma'am just the facts 

ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

The people who live in Carbondale have, in my opinion, a jaded, somewhat negative view of their city. It’s not much different than any other small to medium size town. Malls dying, crime in certain areas, restaurants closing. It’s just as true in Terre Haute, Peoria, Champaign, Springfield, Normal as it is in Carbondale. 

SlyDawg, INSaluki, Rockin' Dawg and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Carbondale, for all its faults, has quite unique scenery compared to other college towns in the state. And it has one big thing going for it with athletics. There is no true competition for basketball when it's good. It's the only show in town.

SlyDawg, INSaluki, Saluki44 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@foxman24)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@dogdays Totally agree. My in-laws for some reason have this view of C'dale as an apocalyptic, crime and drug-ridden wasteland.

I'll be like "Yeah I didn't get out to Walmart until about 9 to pick that up -" 

WHATTTTTTTTTT WHY WOULD YOU GO THERE THAT LATE 🤣 

ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Yeah, pretty jaded and  not  accurate in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @dogdays

The people who live in Carbondale have, in my opinion, a jaded, somewhat negative view of their city. It’s not much different than any other small to medium size town. Malls dying, crime in certain areas, restaurants closing. It’s just as true in Terre Haute, Peoria, Champaign, Springfield, Normal as it is in Carbondale. 

Trust me when I say this in relation to crime…..Carbondale is nowhere near Peoria in those regards.  But c-dale is being hurt in other parts in large part due to enrollment decline.  For those of those of us that live around here and have to deal with it more than just visiting a couple times a year…..yes it has slowly started to diminish for the worse. It’s not just a jaded experience, though not a shit hole but it’s nowhere near what it once was.

ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)

Posted by: @grimper57

Posted by: @siudawgs

I wouldn't get hung up on some "coach in waiting" framing.

If Nagy comes in and wins at a high level, and there's a younger guy on staff who is well thought of, when Nagy steps down, he'll get a good look. If not, they'll reboot.

Ya'll act like 57 is one-foot-in-the-grave age.  He's got at least a good 15 years left in his coaching career.

The longest any basketball coach has stayed at SIU since becoming division one is Rich Herrin 13 years and I believe Rich was 52 when hired. Anyone we hire is not likely to still be here longer than 5-7 years. I don't see his age as an issue at all.

SlyDawg, Saloukeyfan, Rockin' Dawg and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
oberkfell
(@oberkfell)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @insaluki

Posted by: @dirtydale

Posted by: @saluki-4-life

Have a feeling people jumped the gun on this and its not as final as we have been made to believe.

just to put on record: what potential hires do you like the most? And which ones do you dislike the most? 

He likes:

Bryan Mullins

B. Mullins

Mullins, Byran

Mullins, B.

And to a lesser extent, Brian Mullins 

that’s good. 👍🏼 

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @saluki82

If Nagy comes in and wins at a high level, and there's a younger guy on staff who is well thought of, when Nagy steps down, he'll get a good look. If not, they'll reboot.

Ya'll act like 57 is one-foot-in-the-grave age.  He's got at least a good 15 years left in his coaching career.

The longest any basketball coach has stayed at SIU since becoming division one is Rich Herrin 13 years and I believe Rich was 52 when hired. Anyone we hire is not likely to still be here longer than 5-7 years. I don't see his age as an issue at all.

If anything his age could be an advantage in that it’d be less likely for him to be hired away after a good season or two. Still could happen, but less likely at 60 or whatever he’d be then.

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@garywilsonfan)

@grimper57 

6 years and $600,00 is what I heard from an SIU friend near Carbondale.

ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)

I used to think Carbondale was uniquely struggling, then I started visiting small towns all over and realized it’s just a casualty of the big cities getting richer and the rural areas losing business. Certainly there’s still ways to improve, but the days of bustling small town malls and outlet stores at every turn have ended. Online shopping and social media have taken the place of that, perhaps to be reversed one day when inevitably people yearn for in-person experiences. Get this hire right and there’s 8,000 people ready to come see the show. 

siudawgs and Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
 MPH
(@mph)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Posted by: @goroshnik

Bird's back in the air, (took off at 4:17 on the way back to Dayton) 

With the way people have been rabidly reporting on flights, the phrase made me laugh. "Roger"

ReplyQuote
(@grimper57)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Posted by: @saluki82

If anything his age could be an advantage in that it’d be less likely for him to be hired away after a good season or two. Still could happen, but less likely at 60 or whatever he’d be then.

Yep.  Oldest active coaches:

6. Rick Pitino, St. John's Red Storm

5. Jim Larrañaga, Miami Hurricanes

4. Fran Dunphy, La Salle Explorers

3. Leonard Hamilton, Florida State Seminoles

2. Dan D'Antoni, Marshall Thundering Herd

1. Cliff Ellis, Coastal Carolina Chanticleers

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

Predictions of what the contract would look like. Some people have said 600k

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @dogdays

Add Moline and Rock Island to that list. Lived and worked there in the early '80s after graduation from SIU and the area was depressed then because of the struggles of the farm implements industry. Visited a friend in the Quad-Cities a few years ago. Aside from the riverfront in Moline being revived with a museum and a sports arena, things hadn't gotten much better.

ReplyQuote
Page 138 / 164

Share: