112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.7 K Views
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @airdawg86

Posted by: @kiwiball

Posted by: @dunkledog

@kiwiball idk about all that but the guy has a successful record and he has a 6’10 Illinois wolves kid from normal. Obviously the last connections to the wolves wasn’t that strong if wright state could out recruit them.

Not dissing the hire. Supposedly we had 3 or 4 names that were either handshake signed or mention as our top priority.  Just how did we go from the 3-4 handshake candidates to Scott Nagy. Then his age? Is this hire something the administration things is safe because of him not moving on if successful as the other candidates might do.  Just would like the opportunity to see what their thinking is to fill the position of HC 

We will not know until at least the end of the 2nd year if we had a good hire. 

Just because of his age he might not move on if successful at SIU?  Nah, his ego will be even bigger if he's been successful here (too),; then he can move on to a high-mid major and up the pay scale even more.  And especially true if his wife stays behind ( 😉 ); she might look-around and begin to think Dayton is pretty damn nice afterall.  I'm guessing one of the SIU deciders might like his style of game.

I easily could see him doing a Jim Larranaga (went from George Mason to the U. of Miami at age 63) if he succeeds at SIU. Or he might stay awhile and then move into a well-deserved retirement. Either way, I like the idea of a young coach-in-waiting who is ready to move into the top job. 

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster Admin

Posted by: @saluki44

I just looked over Nagy’s resume. It’s impressive.

If this ends up being true, I look forward to reading the apologies of certain someones among us who for the past 2 weeks crapped all over Leonard for “lying” to us when he said he planned to target a proven head coach. 

Nagy certainly ticks almost all the boxes the AD had prattled on about.

I was starting to really like the Crabmanor hire; especially after watching the video clip of him setting a pick.   But Nagy brings a solid track record and hopefully a few of his Raiders players too.

Go Dawgs!

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @siudawgs

Posted by: @dawgbytes

Posted by: @mr_woogers

Posted by: @salukiworld

What person wants to sign up with SIU as a coach when they see how Mullins was treated. 

You mean treated with a press release that was nationally made fun of because of how nice it was to him?  Or are you talking about him being fired?  Most coaches are taking over for someone who was fired.

Mullins was NOT treated badly. Basketball coaches that don't meet expectations get fired. I think he walked away with a year of salary too.

Bullshit. He had the stool kicked out from under him by our wonderful chancellor. 

Alright, I'm very much a Mullins guy who is still stung and disappointed by what happened, but I have to ask: how many years would you have given Bryan to take SIU to postseason play? It kind of feels like you would have given him an unconditional, lifetime contract.

Literally no one wanted to give him a lifetime contract...so tiring reading this. I'm not going to speak for everyone, but most that I know (including me) wanted 2-3 year extension with a reasonable buyout option. That's it.

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

What person wants to sign up with SIU as a coach when they see how Mullins was treated. 

He finished above 5th once in 5 years, was abysmal against the top half of the conference, and was a perennial early exit from Arch Madness.

Empty 20 win seasons with no actual good wins don't fool anyone.

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

I wouldn't get hung up on some "coach in waiting" framing.

If Nagy comes in and wins at a high level, and there's a younger guy on staff who is well thought of, when Nagy steps down, he'll get a good look. If not, they'll reboot.

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@siu_2011 what was he gonna learn in 2-4 years that he absolutely didn’t learn in the first 5

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @siu_2011

Posted by: @mr_woogers

Posted by: @salukiworld

You mean treated with a press release that was nationally made fun of because of how nice it was to him?  Or are you talking about him being fired?  Most coaches are taking over for someone who was fired.

Mullins was NOT treated badly. Basketball coaches that don't meet expectations get fired. I think he walked away with a year of salary too.

Bullshit. He had the stool kicked out from under him by our wonderful chancellor. 

Alright, I'm very much a Mullins guy who is still stung and disappointed by what happened, but I have to ask: how many years would you have given Bryan to take SIU to postseason play? It kind of feels like you would have given him an unconditional, lifetime contract.

Literally no one wanted to give him a lifetime contract...so tiring reading this. I'm not going to speak for everyone, but most that I know (including me) wanted 2-3 year extension with a reasonable buyout option. That's it.

I think a lot of people (including me) feel that way. Not so sure we wouldn't still be getting "First you build the culture" posts from dawgbytes after 10 more lukewarm/kinda good seasons, though.

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
Thunnellvision
(@thunnellvision)

@quatroschallengesaluki 8 postseasons in 12 years. Massive f’n get.

just gotta see how he works the portal.

BY FAR, the most qualified guy out of all the candidates.

Bow Em

saluki82, Rockin' Dawg, dogdays and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @dunkledog

@siu_2011 what was he gonna learn in 2-4 years that he absolutely didn’t learn in the first 5

I'm not going to rehash all that on this thread again. If you really want to have a conversation about it, we can message directly or you can go back through these 132 pages.

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@uncledawgpound get a frigging life. I bet you hate dogs too. I posted this FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY. You are making it like it’s a God forsaken thing with you.  Christ no wonder people get off this sight sometimes and don’t post It’s posters like you that make it seem like you are the expert at everything. It’s a bloody forum to express yourself. You take it like it’s a bash on your head every time someone says something different.

This post was modified 2 months ago by KIWIBALL

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I wouldn't get hung up on some "coach in waiting" framing.

If Nagy comes in and wins at a high level, and there's a younger guy on staff who is well thought of, when Nagy steps down, he'll get a good look. If not, they'll reboot.

Hopefully he can sell recruits on the fact that he'll be here for a while. He was at SDSU and Wright State for very long tenures and at 57 he probably isn't looking to move up or out soon. He needs to hire a couple good recruiting assistants. A couple on his staff should be able to concentrate on recruiting as he will have the X's and O's covered. 

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bossdawg)
Dawg Pound Poster

@siu_2011 How many people who watched (really watched) felt Mullins could coach a top level Valley team.  No offense, no time out plays and no incoming recruits.  Why extend.

ReplyQuote
 MPH
(@mph)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Some of you are living in 2007 fantasy land. SIU is (at current) not exactly the most attractive job when many other schools have bigger war chests. That's just how it goes.

I was in the keep Bryan camp as well, but make him get a few seasoned assistants. That being said we should all give this guy a chance if it's true.

I remember him from coaching shoeless for a charity that gives shoes to children, which indicates some good character I would think: https://webapp2.wright.edu/web1/newsroom/2018/01/30/perfect-fit-2/

Has anyone heard if Howard is sticking around?

sportsfreak75, Cowboydawg, Salukis2112 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster Admin

Again, these coaches think their stuff smells like roasted barley & cascade hops./  What happened to the previous coach is ancient history and likely not the same AD that hired the previous guy, so... it's all amber waves of grain and fresh sparkling spring waters under a bright sun & blue skies for the new coach and his new boss.

Go Dawgs!

AJCSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 132 / 164

Share: