Clear all

Illinois State @ SIU 1/14/23 7:00 PM ESPN3

205 Posts
34 Users
134 Reactions
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@usmcsaluki last big win we went back on the road to a place that was jacked for their 1st home game at the D1 level and this time we are coming home so I am expecting a different result especially since this team is maturing

usmcsaluki and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
(@invisiblesaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I'm thinking that we win but by single digits...

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Bryan Mullins pregame:

https://siusalukis.com/watch/?Archive=6684&type=Archive

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Coach Mullins: " I think we're a good 3pt shooting team..........."

Me: Spitting my drink out wondering what he is smoking and if he has any to share.

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

As others have said, I'm really hoping we can build a lead, get Domask and Jones some rest, and see more of Wonders, Cade, and especially Ebube.

ReplyQuote
(@salukisideline)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

A 40 minute wire-to-wire win would go a long way. If we can demonstrate that, I’ll get my hopes up again for a conference championship. If we continue to let inferior teams stick around or spot team 10 points - playing with fire will get you burned. 

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @insaluki

Coach Mullins: " I think we're a good 3pt shooting team..........."

Me: Spitting my drink out wondering what he is smoking and if he has any to share.

He isn't lying tho, look at the stats, they are a really good 3pt shooting team. They just aren't a good 3pt shot making team. lol

Sandman95, Barkeep 1967, Class of 69 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)

This is a huge free throw battle today. Illinois state is 5th in the nation in free throw shooting percentage, and SIU is 4th in the nation in free throw shooting percentage defense. Will be a huge battle on the lane trying to psych out the redturds. lol

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I'm curious what the crowd will be like tonight. Probably won't get to 7K like we did for Belmont, but over 5K seems reasonable.

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ciscokid)
Davies Gym Poster

1st time poster long time stalker.  I've been following the Dawgs since 1968 and enjoyed a lot of good and suffered through a lot of lean years.  I won't pretend to know a lot of intricacies of offense and defense but I grasp the game and can read numbers.

BM must be looking at another team's stat sheet.  While some players can shoot a 3, we are not a good 3 pt shooting team as evidenced by a 31.2% average (306th in D1 and 9th in the Valley).  The good 3pt teams are Belmont (10th-39.8, Bradley 66th-36.7 and Drake 140th-34.8).

Three pt shots are an integral part of an offensive scheme, however we have the wrong people shooting them.  IMO Jones shouldn't shoot a 3 unless all other play options are exhausted.  He's the 6th best shooter of the 8 prominent players at 28.5% (D'Amico & Newton are lower).  On the other hand we have Banks at 42.9, Johnson at 37.8, Wonders at 37.8 (Domask 30.2).  In spite of this he's shot 29% or 130/449 of the team's 3s.

I know some have said he'll find the shot we'll just have to wait for him to end a slump.  We are 18 games into the season.  In 10 games he's 10/64 - 16% and he's 5/29 -17% in the last 4 games.  That's not a 3pt shooter; that's someone who can occasionally make a 3.  His best games were LR, Eville, Lincoln & Chicago St.  Valley teams give him the shot because he hasn't shown he can really hurt them.

Don't get me wrong, he brings a lot to the team; leadership, experience, speed, great D and improved FT shooting.  Just not 3s!  Like I said, it's necessary to have a 3pt shot in a game plan but I don't seem to see 3pt plays run for the people that can shoot them.  Maybe we just shoot less of them and drive for the 12-15ft pull up or fade away jump shot?   Seems to work for Born at UNI and others in the league.

Sorry if you're glassy eyed by all the stats.  This has been on my mind all this season.  Thanks for your patience.  I'll be brief in the future.

ReplyQuote
Class of 69
(@class-of-69)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Seems Trent Brown is the type of player who would do better coming off the bench. Unless he hits an early 3, look for an early exit.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/SIU_Basketball/status/1614421748253970435

ReplyQuote
(@usmcsaluki)

Posted by: @salukiworld

https://twitter.com/SIU_Basketball/status/1614421748253970435

Great to see!

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Posted by: @the-bobber

from this date forward, every time we play the redbirds, the rallying cry must be "win one for the bobber!" 

fair enough but when we play PCC it is win one for the barkeep 😊

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Good crowd at least on TV

G-Man reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 14

Share: