30 Users
160 Reactions
13.4 K Views
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

I've got a completely unreliable source saying that Murray State is coming as well.  I'm 1% confident in this source, but I sure hope it is right. Lol

Rumors rumors and rumors. Belmont telling the Valley no last time is a huge sticking point 

Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @barkeep-1967

I've got a completely unreliable source saying that Murray State is coming as well.  I'm 1% confident in this source, but I sure hope it is right. Lol

Rumors rumors and rumors. Belmont telling the Valley no last time is a huge sticking point 

Belmont had a (somewhat) better conference last time.  The OVC seems to be crumbling fast.  They probably have better motivation this time to make a move.  That is why I believe that it could very well be different this time.

Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  

Belmont had a (somewhat) better conference last time.  The OVC seems to be crumbling fast.  They probably have better motivation this time to make a move.  That is why I believe that it could very well be different this time.

And you think the Valley forgot they were told no ?  Belmont may get an invite but they do not have one right now and it is not 100% they will. 

Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

And you think the Valley forgot they were told no ?  Belmont may get an invite but they do not have one right now and it is not 100% they will. 

I guess we will find out… I’d say maybe we will know by mid next week. 

Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  

I guess we will find out… I’d say maybe we will know by mid next week. 

Belmont does not have an invitation to join at this time. While just a formality, the league will still have to vote. They may announce their intentions next week we won’t get an answer 

SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

https://www.williamsonhomepage.com/brentwood/report-belmont-to-join-missouri-valley-conference/article_3ef86903-4c34-5249-974f-9240568988e7.html

According to a writer in Tennessee, conferences were pursuing Murray State and Belmont as a package deal

rafflaw and Salukifan32 reacted
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @salukiworld

https://www.williamsonhomepage.com/brentwood/report-belmont-to-join-missouri-valley-conference/article_3ef86903-4c34-5249-974f-9240568988e7.html

According to a writer in Tennessee, conferences were pursuing Murray State and Belmont as a package deal

Once again quoting the same guy. I am not saying this is not true. I am saying he seems to be the only one who knows about it. 

Mdogs1
(@mdogs1)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I like you are surprised that he is  the only media source reporting it but I heard about this earlier this week from several people associated with SIU athletics. So as you say we will wait for a formal announcement from the Valley and Belmont to be certain. 

PackerDawg reacted
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

Posted by: @mdogs1

I like you are surprised that he is  the only media source reporting it but I heard about this earlier this week from several people associated with SIU athletics. So as you say we will wait for a formal announcement from the Valley and Belmont to be certain. 

Mike Reis also shared it. I doubt he shares something on social media without some confidence that it is happening. 

I know you were the first to say something was about to be announced. Have you heard anything about a 12+ team yet?

Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Hope it's not just them. Murray State also would be a good addition.

Wichita no way, Milwaukee no, N. Kentucky no.

BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)

If any conference were to take Belmont, it would only make sense for them to make room for Murray St as well. Both programs would make stand-alone solid additions, but if a conference such as the MVC takes both at the same time, you welcome in the already established premier OVC rivalry, and that rivalry is fierce.

A package deal would make sense and would be very exciting. Hopefully we hear something more formal and official very soon.

--Insert something witty here--

Rockin' Dawg reacted
Mdogs1
(@mdogs1)

Mike Reis also shared it. I doubt he shares something on social media without some confidence that it is happening. 

I know you were the first to say something was about to be announced. Have you heard anything about a 12+ team yet?

Hearing that the MVC is currently looking to add new markets for Television and Murray doesn’t fit that bill, of course things can always change in the world of college athletics Still think UT-Arlington is a good possibility IF the Valley goes to 12.  Remember that the  Valley reached out to UT -Arlington late last year to inquire about their interest in going to the Valley and just recently supposedly hired a search firm to see what options they had. Stay tuned. 

Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Hearing that the MVC is currently looking to add new markets for Television and Murray doesn’t fit that bill, of course things can always change in the world of college athletics Still think UT-Arlington is a good possibility IF the Valley goes to 12.  Remember that the  Valley reached out to UT -Arlington late last year to inquire about their interest in going to the Valley and just recently supposedly hired a search firm to see what options they had. Stay tuned. 

Murray State has a good basketball rep and support but located in the boonies. Chance for some great rivalry games too. Easy travel from most MVC schools.

UT-Arlington in the Dallas FW area doesn't have that rep. Not sure how much interest they get in that metro area when you have TCU, SMU, and N. Texas right there.

Or we could add Murray, N. Kentucky, Milwaukee, and UTA - get some metro coverage.

rafflaw reacted
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)

I just hope the MVC doesn't fall in love too much with the whole media market 1st mentality. Yes, it worked out well with Loyola, but that was pretty exceptional. I think the risk is higher for watered down basketball quality if that's the driving force for every addition.

If Belmont is added, I sure hope Murray St comes along too.

--Insert something witty here--

Spike
(@spike)

Loyola itself was a massive risk. They were perennial bottom feeders in the Horizon and hadn't made an NCAA tournament in 28 years(and had only made one appearance in 45 years) when they joined the Valley, and were arguably at best the 8th most popular team in Chicago.

Page 3 / 13

Share: