30 Users
160 Likes
13.1 K Views
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  

Ok this is two 

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/belmont-is-moving-to-the-missouri-valley-conference/

rafflaw reacted
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

More than two. Was at the football gm yesterday. Reliable source says Belmont is coming . SIU does not want Murray as they see it as raising them up and we recruit students and athletes from similar places. To close geographically. Hearing same as others, Murray at disadvantage because of location and TV Mkt. Was also told UTA not likely. Fwiw. 

rafflaw reacted
saluki82
(@saluki82)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I think Milwaukee would be a better addition than Murray.

rafflaw and Salukifan32 reacted
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @dogdays

More than two. Was at the football gm yesterday. Reliable source says Belmont is coming . SIU does not want Murray as they see it as raising them up and we recruit students and athletes from similar places. To close geographically. Hearing same as others, Murray at disadvantage because of location and TV Mkt. Was also told UTA not likely. Fwiw. 

A lot of what you are hearing is become some guy on Twitter said so. There is nothing done yet. When it is announced by the MVC it will be official.  I guess we will find out soon 

rafflaw reacted
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @barkeep-1967

A lot of what you are hearing is become some guy on Twitter said so. There is nothing done yet. When it is announced by the MVC it will be official.  I guess we will find out soon 

Nope. From two different sources both with direct connections. One in the Big Ten. Of course nothings done till it’s done but this isn’t just one or two guys with info . Parrish maybe saying there is no offer but it appears it’s indeed just a formality. That said, I don’t have first hand information so I suppose it could all be bs.

(@misty)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Excited about Belmont but feeling nervous about the 12th team. No Murray St would be really disappointing. I hope that’s false. 

BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

SIU not wanting/blocking Murray for those reasons is pretty weak. If you're truly better than them, or can offer something different and unique, allow them equal footing and then prove it.

Stepping on them to keep them in their place says to me that you're afraid of them. Same type of mentality for why we dislike P5 "elites".

--Insert something witty here--

siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @bleedfknmaroon25

SIU not wanting/blocking Murray for those reasons is pretty weak. If you're truly better than them, or can offer something different and unique, allow them equal footing and then prove it.

Stepping on them to keep them in their place says to me that you're afraid of them. Same type of mentality for why we dislike P5 "elites".

I generally agree with this, though it is painfully obvious how fragile SIU's enrollment and financial health has been in recent years, and there's no doubt Murray is a primary competitor for students and athletes (see NJ Benson) in the region. On the flip side, it would be good for Southern travel and budget-wise to have Murray in the league, though they play Murray in many sports anyway in non-con play.

You could make the case that what's best for the MVC in this case may not be best for Southern. I don't know how the politics play out, but IF Southern is the only "no" on Murray, I'm guessing they don't get a veto?

(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Not sure how many other schools in the MVC actually want Murray in either. Honestly don't know but I don't think they are a slam dunk among other Valley schools.

siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

https://twitter.com/TribStarTodd/status/1442572345911037956

Todd Golden (Terre Haute paper) says Belmont is expected to be the lone addition for now.

This post was modified 3 years ago by siudawgs

rafflaw reacted
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

rafflaw reacted
(@sycamorefan96)

Murray State would 100% be a better add than Belmont. Murray State would actually bring more than 200 fans to St Louis for the MVC tournament being the biggest reason. If SIU is blocking Murray State that is pretty busch league. Maybe SIU should've blocked SIUe from going D1 if that's how they feel. That's pretty sad if the above is true.

As for the media markets, I'm sure all 500 of Belmont's fans are excited to watch Belmont basketball on ESPN+ or whatever channel might carry their games once in a while in Nashville. Carbondale / Marion is hardly some great market, but hey what do I know? I'd rather see the MVC add schools that actually have fan bases than little private schools that no one cares about. Schools with actual fan bases bring more eyeballs to the TV than ones that don't.

I'd also add that UTA is maybe the dumbest idea I've ever heard. There's schools like that locally known as UIC, UWM, and IUPUI. No need to travel halfway across the country for some stupid add like that.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Sycamorefan96

Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sycamorefan96

Murray State would 100% be a better add than Belmont. Murray State would actually bring more than 200 fans to St Louis for the MVC tournament being the biggest reason. If SIU is blocking Murray State that is pretty busch league. Maybe SIU should've blocked SIUe from going D1 if that's how they feel. That's pretty sad if the above is true.

As for the media markets, I'm sure all 500 of Belmont's fans are excited to watch Belmont basketball on ESPN+ or whatever channel might carry their games once in a while in Nashville. Carbondale / Marion is hardly some great market, but hey what do I know? I'd rather see the MVC add schools that actually have fan bases than little private schools that no one cares about. Schools with actual fan bases bring more eyeballs to the TV than ones that don't.

I'd also add that UTA is maybe the dumbest idea I've ever heard. There's schools like that locally known as UIC, UWM, and IUPUI. No need to travel halfway across the country for some stupid add like that.

No Murray is not a better add than Belmont and it’s not really even close . 

(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@barkeep-1967 

Without a doubt Belmont is a better add then Murray and as Barkeep says “ it’s not even really close”! Plus something else I don’t think anyone has mentioned…. Nashville would be a great alternate site for the MVC tourney. The Bridgestone Center is top drawer.

This post was modified 3 years ago by dogdays

(@sycamorefan96)

What exactly about Belmont is so much better than Murray State? They literally have no fans and they've been winning for quite a while. Imagine how many fans they'll have if / when they start losing. Heck when the OVC Tourney was in Nashville, Racer fans still way outnumbered BU fans. Who cares what city they are in if no one cares about them?

This post was modified 3 years ago by Sycamorefan96

Page 4 / 13

Share: