30 Users
160 Reactions
13.4 K Views
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sycamorefan96

What exactly about Belmont is so much better than Murray State? They literally have no fans and they've been winning for quite a while. Imagine how many fans they'll have if / when they start losing. Heck when the OVC Tourney was in Nashville, Racer fans still way outnumbered BU fans. Who cares what city they are in if no one cares about them?

Well let’s see 

men’s basketball 

women’s basketball 

baseball 

media market

athletic budget 

name recognition  

that’s all I have for now but there is more

SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @barkeep-1967

What exactly about Belmont is so much better than Murray State? They literally have no fans and they've been winning for quite a while. Imagine how many fans they'll have if / when they start losing. Heck when the OVC Tourney was in Nashville, Racer fans still way outnumbered BU fans. Who cares what city they are in if no one cares about them?

Well let’s see 

men’s basketball 

women’s basketball 

baseball 

media market

athletic budget 

name recognition  

that’s all I have for now but there is more

I know it doesn't matter as much as men's basketball but the MVC is turning into a very good women's basketball mid-major with the addition of Belmont.  Their women's team has been even more impressive than their men's team.

PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Sounds like the argument against Loyola.  Now the Chicago skyline lights up maroon and yellow when they’re in the NCAA Tournament.  Belmont is consistently a higher quality program which is what the MVC needs to remain relevant.  That said, I think Murray State would be a good add but understand the reservations some have here about them. 

Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  

And we will see about their fan base. 69 is considering starting up a Belmont board. So there is that 

INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

If this is indeed announced tomorrow, when would the changes take effect ?  

Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @insaluki

If this is indeed announced tomorrow, when would the changes take effect ?  

All I know is Belmont has a press conference tomorrow. I am almost positive it will take affect next year though 

SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Looks like Southern Indiana is gonna go D1 and I'm guessing the OVC would have interest.  Would be a nice add

https://twitter.com/BlakeSandlin/status/1442574682998276099

rafflaw reacted
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @salukiworld

Looks like Southern Indiana is gonna go D1 and I'm guessing the OVC would have interest.  Would be a nice add

https://twitter.com/BlakeSandlin/status/1442574682998276099

I saw that earlier. I do think that is linked with an OVC invite. That school is basketball crazy too. 

rafflaw reacted
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Murray State would 100% be a better add than Belmont. Murray State would actually bring more than 200 fans to St Louis for the MVC tournament being the biggest reason. If SIU is blocking Murray State that is pretty busch league. Maybe SIU should've blocked SIUe from going D1 if that's how they feel. That's pretty sad if the above is true.

As for the media markets, I'm sure all 500 of Belmont's fans are excited to watch Belmont basketball on ESPN+ or whatever channel might carry their games once in a while in Nashville. Carbondale / Marion is hardly some great market, but hey what do I know? I'd rather see the MVC add schools that actually have fan bases than little private schools that no one cares about. Schools with actual fan bases bring more eyeballs to the TV than ones that don't.

I'd also add that UTA is maybe the dumbest idea I've ever heard. There's schools like that locally known as UIC, UWM, and IUPUI. No need to travel halfway across the country for some stupid add like that.

Just because Mike Reis went out and admitted that SIU didn't want Murray State in the conference, doesn't mean that Indiana State was/is in favor of it either.  Be careful of your words.  We don't know how all was/wasn't in favor of this.  I highly doubt SIU was alone, because then they would be out voted 9-1.  There is still a relatively decent chance that Indiana State didn't want them either.

P.S.  Go back to your own board where your own fan board where a lot of your fans want a garbage "local conference" with the quality schools of SIUE, EIU, WIU, Indiana State, Evansville, Valpo, ect...

(@sycamorefan96)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Pretty sure Indiana State wants Murray State to help reduce travel in the MVFC. We also like the idea of playing schools similar to us and ones that have actual fans. SIUC being a slowly dying university that is scared of Murray State isn't our problem. Luckily for SIUC you guys seem to have some private schools in the MVC that are willing to reject football schools.

The last 3 adds have all been private schools now. MSU Bears fans seem less than impressed, and according to some of their fans the school has been reaching out to the SBC and CUSA. 

ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@sycamorefan96 You have no clue what is considered when adding a team to the MVC. Market is hugely important. Not only from a recruiting standpoint, but also from a revenue standpoint. TV revenue, advertising, ncaa money share, etc. Loyola had not been good in some time and had a very poor fan base when they joined the valley, but the valley leadership saw the potential and wanted in the all important Chicago market. Nashville holds a similar allure and potential. Support for Belmont from fans will increase after joining a much better conference, with better and more competitive teams. You and your lower the bar fan base want a more regional and less competitive conference for travel advantages?! That is both stupid and short sided. Tell you what, let's have the MVC add Belmont and Indiana State can drop to D2 and join the Great Lakes conference. That will solve both your regional and travel concerns.

Go back to your own board, Hoosier simpleton!

Salukifan32, zippadeedooDawgs, PackerDawg and 2 people reacted
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Pretty sure Indiana State wants Murray State to help reduce travel in the MVFC. We also like the idea of playing schools similar to us and ones that have actual fans. SIUC being a slowly dying university that is scared of Murray State isn't our problem. Luckily for SIUC you guys seem to have some private schools in the MVC that are willing to reject football schools.

The last 3 adds have all been private schools now. MSU Bears fans seem less than impressed, and according to some of their fans the school has been reaching out to the SBC and CUSA. 

So you think MSU is leaving the MVC/MVFC to go FBS in football and to a less competitive basketball conference? Send me a PM, I have some prime swamp land in Florida I'd like to talk to you about.... 

Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Belmont has announced the move.  Only thing left is the formal part.  Belmont is in!

SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

I find it funny that Missouri State has one good football season and suddenly they're ready for the FBS.  Their basketball program has constantly underachieved since the start of the 21st century and their football program was a dumpster fire before last season..  I'm sure they're attractive for the Sun Belt and CUSA based on their student enrollment and nice location but I'm not sure a step-up would go as well as their fans would hope.  But I'm sure they'll enjoy playing for a chance to go to the Bad Boy Mowers Bowl every year in Shreveport, LA.

SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

We might stay at 11 for now but I wouldn't expect it to last for long

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1442872213598707714

Page 5 / 13

Share: