183 Posts
30 Users
160 Reactions
13.4 K Views
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @obd

According to the new commissioner, the 12th team will probably be a public one.

https://twitter.com/FatherHarry1/status/1442930504609656833

Knowing this tidbit of information makes it hard for me to believe that Murray isn't that one school.  What public option could be more appealing for us as a conference?

(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@salukiworld 

Exactly.

SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

Knowing this tidbit of information makes it hard for me to believe that Murray isn't that one school.  What public option could be more appealing for us as a conference?

A school in a bigger market like Milwaukee, Little Rock, Oakland, Northern Kentucky, UT Arlington would be just as attractive if not more attractive to the Valley

Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

I wish we could undue the Valpo addition a few years ago and get something better.  I haven't exactly figured out what they provide to the MVC.

Saluki44 reacted
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

Posted by: @salukiworld

A school in a bigger market like Milwaukee, Little Rock, Oakland, Northern Kentucky, UT Arlington would be just as attractive if not more attractive to the Valley

Is Milwaukee the school that added a couple of 5 star recruits recently?  Brothers?

SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Is Milwaukee the school that added a couple of 5 star recruits recently?  Brothers?

Coach's son Patrick Baldwin Jr. is a 5 star commit

https://247sports.com/player/patrick-baldwin-jr-46050268/

Milwaukee has been down recently but they had a little bit of success last decade with Bruce Pearl at the same time as SIU's run.  They do have to battle in their own city with Marquette but you'd get Valley games into another market with Bally Sports Wisconsin.  

rafflaw reacted
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin

https://twitter.com/DaveReynolds2/status/1442885758461911041

So, some of the other Valley schools' beef with Murray is....academics????

Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)

Coach's son Patrick Baldwin Jr. is a 5 star commit

https://247sports.com/player/patrick-baldwin-jr-46050268/

Milwaukee has been down recently but they had a little bit of success last decade with Bruce Pearl at the same time as SIU's run.  They do have to battle in their own city with Marquette but you'd get Valley games into another market with Bally Sports Wisconsin.  

Jeez.  Must be nice.  We still have to wait 18 years to see our future 5 star Mullins recruit develop.

Booby's
(@boobys)

The Curb Event Center where basketball plays is very similar to the Gentile Arena. 

oh good. another glorified high school gym that's half empty a good part of the time.

Craving a McBride Special!

Booby's
(@boobys)

So, some of the other Valley schools' beef with Murray is....academics????

🤣🤣

that, and they are thugs.

Craving a McBride Special!

Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  

I will ask one more time 

what does Murray bring to the Valley other than taking another slice ? 

they would be a middle of the pack team this year and would not add any bids. 11 is just fine 

Dawgs98 reacted
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

If we're looking at public school options.  Here's a list in no order of pros and cons of each:

Murray State University (Murray, KY)

Pros

-Rabid fanbase that would bring a lot of fans to Arch Madness something that is sorely needed with the loss of Creighton and Wichita.  Loyola has done a good job of bringing fans to St Louis but Valpo has really struggled and combined with SIU/ISU being down attendance has been lacking at the Valley's premiere event.  Murray constantly brought a ton of fans to Evansville, Indiana for the OVC Tournament and the entire arena was yellow.

-Not too big of a distance to travel for most Valley teams.  Southern Illinois is the closest by drive time at 1 hour, 58 minutes, Evansville is 2 hours, 14 minutes, Indiana State is 4 hours, and Illinois State/Bradley/Missouri State are all about 5 hours.

-Recent basketball success.  They've been to the NCAA's 7 times since 2000 and have won 3 tournament games in that span.  They've had numerous top coaches including Mick Cronin, Billy Kennedy, and Steve Prohm that have gone on to coach bigger programs since.  They've had numerous NBA players including Ja Morant, Cameron Payne, and Isaiah Caanan come through in the last decade or so.  They were the #6 seed in the 2012 NCAA Tournament finishing with a 30-1 record.

-Belmont and Murray State had a bit of a history the last few years and it would be fun to keep that alive in the Valley.

Cons

-Location, location, location.  Murray, Kentucky is literally in the middle of nowhere with no major airports nearby.  They're in a small media market which matters in 2021.  I'm pretty sure they share the same Bally Sports with Belmont so you wouldn't be getting into a new media market like you would with almost any other addition.

-They're not really great at any other revenue sports.  Their football program is bottom-tier in the lowly OVC, women's basketball has been to one tournament since 2008, their baseball program has been to one regionals in their history.  And by all accounts, their athletics budget wasn't great by OVC standards.

Thoughts

Murray State would be my #1 addition if I'm expanding to 12 teams but there are some downsides and I don't think they're a sure thing like those on MVCFans think.  If Murray State gets added and they can't adjust to the Valley, will they be similar to the Valpo addition?  The critics at other schools would point out that SIU and Murray State are very similar when it comes to location and media market but SIU isn't looking to be added to the conference.  Quite frankly, we're extremely lucky that SIU is a long-time Valley member because there's no shot they'd get into the conference in 2021.  Schools like Northern Iowa and Indiana State can say the same.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (Milwaukee, WI)

Pros

-Located in a great city and a nice distance from almost every Valley school.

-They've had success in recent past.  In 2005, Bruce Pearl took the Panthers to the Sweet 16 before losing to the Illinois team that would eventually lose in the National Championship.  They're likely going to see a bit of resurgence in the next few seasons with 5 star Patrick Baldwin Jr coming in. 

-Gets Valley games into a new TV market, Bally Sports Wisconsin.

-UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena isn't a new facility but it seats 12,000 people and was recently renovated in 2016.

Cons

-Competes with the much stronger brand Marquette in their own city in addition to competing with the Wisconsin Badgers.

-Other sports don't seem great.  Women's basketball has struggled the last decade.  Baseball has struggled but did go to a regionals in 2010.

Thoughts

You're adding a great Milwaukee market here within drivable range of almost every Valley school.  If Milwaukee hits, you could be looking at another Loyola  SIU has had a bit of a Wisconsin pipeline recently and I'm not sure if this helps or hurts that.

Northern Kentucky University (Highland Heights, KY)

Pros

-Their basketball facility would jump straight to the top of the Valley.  BB&T Arena was opened in 2008 and seats 10,000.  If you take Ford Center in Evansville and drop it on Evansville's campus instead of downtown, you'd get BB&T Arena.

-They only joined D1 basketball 9 years ago but they've had success making 2 NCAA Tournaments in that span.  Since moving from the Atlantic Sun to the Horizon League, Northern Kentucky has gone 104-59.  They made the NCAA Tournament the first year they were eligible in 2017.

-Located just 7 miles outside of Cincinnati, you'd get into a new market.  Only 3 hours from Indiana State and Evansville and 4 hours from Belmont it wouldn't be too far off the beaten path.

-Basketball attendance seems to fit in line with the rest of the conference.  About 3,000-6,000 fans a game.

-Baseball has been a steady program the last decade as well

Cons

-Being such a new program to D1 Basketball, do they have an established fanbase that will travel 5 hours to St. Louis for Arch Madness?

-There's a lot of competition for D1 basketball in Cincinnati with Cincinnati and Xavier having a ton of success and competition with huge programs like Ohio State and Kentucky too.

Thoughts

This would be a risky add that could pay off given Northern Kentucky's success so early in Division 1 Basketball.  They've always been a favorite possible addition for me given their location and facilities.  Our own Marcus Domask committed to Northern Kentucky before de-committing when their coach left for Cincinnati.

University of Arkansas at Little Rock (Little Rock, AR)

Pros

-They're the only show in town in a major city.  The closest competition for Division 1 Basketball is Arkansas State, 2 hours away and Memphis, 2 hours away.  Now I've lived in Arkansas and the entire state is crazy for the Arkansas Razorbacks but Fayetteville is 3 hours away.  

-Jack Stephens Center is an on-campus arena that seats 5,600 and was opened in 2005.

-They've had some recent success with Chris Beard in 2016 beating Purdue in the first round of the NCAA Tournament as a 12 seed.

-Think they would be the closest Valley school to Missouri State (4 hours).  Also 5 hours from Belmont and SIU.

-Women's basketball has had recent success making the NCAA's 6 times since 2010 and winning 2 first round games.

Cons

-Despite being in a large city, attendance has been putrid from what I've seen.  Only 1,000-3,000 fans at most games 2 years ago in a season where they were Sun Belt regular season champions.  

-Pretty far for a lot of Valley schools to get to.  Would likely be another plane trip for Drake, Northern Iowa, Loyola, and Valpo.

Thoughts

I was more excited for Little Rock before seeing their lack of fan support despite some recent success but if the Valley were looking to add a school in a big media market, Little Rock might be the only school that is literally the only show in town.  

Oakland University (Rochester, MI)

Pros

-Oakland has had recent Men's Basketball success under long-time head coach Greg Kampe.  They've made the NCAA's 3 times since 2005 and are constantly at least decent.

-They've had some recent good players including Kendrick Nunn (transfer from Illinois and now on the Miami Heat) and Kay Felder come through in the last decade.

-Located just 50 minutes North of Detroit so the Valley would get games in a big media market on Bally Sports Detroit.
Cons

-The basketball arena is on-campus but only seats 4,000 people.  Attendance doesn't seem too bad, they get about near capacity each game but nothing too exciting.

-Women's basketball and baseball haven't had much success lately so you're not bringing in much there.

-The closest Valley school is Valpo and that's 4 hours away.  Drake is 9 hours away, Missouri State is 12 hours away.  

-Lot of competition in Michigan with Michigan and Michigan State.  Both are about an hour away from Oakland.

Thoughts

-Oakland has been a decent mid-major under Kampe but this one doesn't excite me at all.  Think if you're going to take a program in a bigger market, there are better options.

University of Texas at Arlington (Arlington, TX)

Pros

-You bring the Valley into a completely new market in a major city.  You'd get games on Bally Sports Southwest and probably help other Valley teams recruit the recruiting hotbed of Texas easier.

-College Park Center is a nice arena that holds 7,000 fans and is on-campus.  It opened in 2012 and even plays host to the Dallas WNBA team.

Cons

-Every Valley team would have to fly out to get to this school. 

-UT-Arlington had a few good seasons under Scott Cross a few years ago but then fired him and got much worse the next 3 seasons under Chris Ogden before firing him.  I guess you can make the argument that the school is desperate to win but there's been no evidence that it's anywhere near happening.

-There's so much competition nearby like TCU, Baylor and SMU all within reasonable distance of UT-Arlington.

-Attendance isn't great which makes sense given their lack of recent success.  The top games seem to draw around 3,000-4,000 with most games drawing 1,000 fans.

Thoughts 

I really don't get this one at all.  I don't really see UT-Arlington as some sleeping giant and a move to the Missouri Valley is going to wake them up.  It seems inconvenient for the rest of the Valley to add them outside of recruiting to me.  They do have a nice basketball facility but I just don't think they fit into what makes the Valley great.

University of Missouri-Kansas City (Kansas City, MO)

Pros

-Once again, big media market.  There's some competition outside of Kansas City but they're the only show in town.

-Only 2 hours, 45 minutes from Missouri State and 3 hours from Drake.  

Cons

-No recent basketball success

-School doesn't sponsor baseball

-If this has even a chance of happening, they'd have to have some kind of plan to build a new basketball facility as the current one (Swinney Rec Center) only has a capacity of 1,500.

-Competition from Kansas and Kansas State

Thoughts

You'd need assurance that money is going to be pumped into Athletics if this has a chance of happening.  They've always been an intriguing option to me but the facilities just aren't up to MVC standards right now and there's no recent success that tells you that they're some kind of sleeping giant.

University of Nebraska-Omaha (Omaha, NE)

Pros

-The Valley would get back into Omaha and it's growing market.

-Baxter Arena is an near on-campus arena that holds 7,898 fans and just opened in 2014.  It would instantly jump to the top of the Valley as far as facilities go.

Cons

-Not the most popular school in their own city with Creighton there and competes with the Nebraska Cornhuskers too.

-Seems like more of a hockey and wrestling school than anything which does nothing for the Valley.  

-Basketball program hasn't been terrible since they recently joined Division 1 but hasn't been great either.  Middle of the pack in the Summit League.

Thoughts

Omaha, NE is a great market as the Valley knows from their time with Creighton but there's nothing to show that this would be a great add.

Any of the Dakotas (especially NDSU and SDSU) would also be interesting adds but I'm guessing those are only options if the Valley expands to 14 and takes a few of them.

Saluki44, Salukifan32, PackerDawg and 2 people reacted
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)

Give me the Racers, the fanfare, and the already established rivalry with Belmont. Although I'll admit that of the above teams mentioned, there's no slam-dunk option.

--Insert something witty here--

Saluki44 and siudawgs reacted
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Interesting thread here ... my main takeaway is it seems the Valley might be patient and see if there are more/better options in another year or so. What that means for Murray's future, I don't know ...

https://twitter.com/TribStarTodd/status/1442983104436649985

siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

@salukiworld

Nicely done. I'd go Murray #1, Northern Kentucky #2 as my top two among the options presented. I wish there was a better option closer to Mo State to add a little geographic balance, as the conference has shifted eastward, but I'm not too jazzed about Little Rock or especially the 'Roos.

Salukifan32 reacted
Page 7 / 13

Share: