30 Users
160 Likes
13.1 K Views
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @siudawgs

@salukiworld

Nicely done. I'd go Murray #1, Northern Kentucky #2 as my top two among the options presented. I wish there was a better option closer to Mo State to add a little geographic balance, as the conference has shifted eastward, but I'm not too jazzed about Little Rock or especially the 'Roos.

I was more excited about Little Rock before looking at some of their attendance numbers but they'd be an interesting addition given their location.  Loyola was a different program before they joined the Valley and it's possible a step up in conference might unlock their potential.  There's a ton of basketball talent in Little Rock.

siudawgs reacted
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @boobys
Posted by: @obd

So, some of the other Valley schools' beef with Murray is....academics????

🤣🤣

that, and they are thugs.

Amen brother! Who remembers when SIU quit playing them in football for that exact reason? Tommy Koutsos gets sent to the hospital with a broken leg and their players are taunting our players saying “we f%ked up your running back”. Paul Kowalczyk said screw you, we quit playing them for a number of years. The last SIU basketball game I ever saw the “other guy” coach was Murray at SIU when they had Morant. In spite of being well ahead at halftime their players were making hand gestures to the  mostly quiet Dawg Pound as they walked off the floor. Really classy. Says a lot of the team’s coaching staff tolerates that. Let them stew in their own juices. 

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Dawgs98 and rafflaw reacted
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

I think the addition of Belmont is going to be big for the MVC.  It add yet another legitimate, and relatively consistent, strong program into the conference.  I already think this league has 3 bid potential this season.  I am NOT saying it will happen, but there are 3-5 very dangerous teams this year.  From a personal standpoint, I will VERY much enjoy going to Nashville for a road game.  I've been there 3 times now and absolutely  love the city, music, food, atmosphere, etc.  It seems SIU's resurgence is just in time to the strengthening of the overall conference.  

usmcsaluki reacted
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @insaluki

I think the addition of Belmont is going to be big for the MVC.  It add yet another legitimate, and relatively consistent, strong program into the conference.  I already think this league has 3 bid potential this season.  I am NOT saying it will happen, but there are 3-5 very dangerous teams this year.  From a personal standpoint, I will VERY much enjoy going to Nashville for a road game.  I've been there 3 times now and absolutely  love the city, music, food, atmosphere, etc.  It seems SIU's resurgence is just in time to the strengthening of the overall conference.  

Yes I agree buts let’s see how not playing in the OVC goes. I think they will be fine but it is a concern. Not many off nights in the Valley 

rafflaw reacted
(@uncledawgpound)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I've seen a decent share of Belmont games over the last decade. I think they could finish 5th-6th their first year of Valley ball but it's not a given. Retired legend Rick Byrd's bread and butter was always maxing out the potential of solid defenders who could shoot; aka they never really had much raw athleticism (as you may expect in the OVC). I think they will get that athleticism from being in the Valley for a few years and they're definitely in a great market to do so. 

SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Really informative video on Belmont's move to the Valley and future expansion possibilities:

Austinsaluki and rafflaw reacted
(@misty)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

That video is outstanding. The chart about 12 minutes in is wonderful. Your post on the previous page and that video are by far the two best takes I’ve seen anywhere. Thanks for sharing. 

(@dawgs618)
Davies Gym Poster

SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

If Murray State is added, this is a huge win for Arch Madness.  Murray State fans are going to travel well and make up for some of the lost attendance from Wichita's exit.  The MVC looks like it's going to be a top mid-major now.

Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

MVC only a top mid major if Belmont  and MSU can raise and maintain success at the current level of the MVC and one could argue that the last couple of seasons the MVC is back to being a top mid major

SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @jabman62

MVC only a top mid major if Belmont  and MSU can raise and maintain success at the current level of the MVC and one could argue that the last couple of seasons the MVC is back to being a top mid major

There was a pretty big gap between the MVC and WCC/Atlantic 10 the last few years but I think that gap completely closes with Murray and Belmont (granted most of that from the WCC was from Gonzaga and BYU and BYU is leaving for the Big 12 within a few years).  I'm hoping the MVC now comes together with the Atlantic-10 or maybe even the American and creates an MVC-Atlantic 10 or MVC-American challenge to help with scheduling. 

Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @salukiworld

There was a pretty big gap between the MVC and WCC/Atlantic 10 the last few years but I think that gap completely closes with Murray and Belmont (granted most of that from the WCC was from Gonzaga and BYU and BYU is leaving for the Big 12 within a few years).  I'm hoping the MVC now comes together with the Atlantic-10 or maybe even the American and creates an MVC-Atlantic 10 or MVC-American challenge to help with scheduling. 

Murray and Belmont will make the middle stronger  but I seriously doubt either would be in the top 5 this year. Winning the OVC is not quite like the top of the Valley 

rafflaw and Jabman62 reacted
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @barkeep-1967
Posted by: @salukiworld

Murray and Belmont will make the middle stronger  but I seriously doubt either would be in the top 5 this year. Winning the OVC is not quite like the top of the Valley 

Jon Rothstein has Belmont 42 in his top 45 with only Loyola (34) ahead of them.  Murray State is a bit down after last year but Belmont is well-regarded among experts.  

Salukifan32 and rafflaw reacted
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@salukiworld why do try so hard to be right

Page 8 / 13

Share: