11.9 K Views
(@sandman95)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @cosmos

Posted by: @sandman95

Posted by: @sandman95

We’ve got the fastest land animal on planet earth as our mascot. Let everyone know. Big cats can get out to fast starts but no one out runs the Salukis in a long distance contest. 

Did we change to the cheetah’s?

No endurance. They’re the top sprinting speed but Salukis are the fastest over a 3 mile distance. Able to maintain top speed much longer. Basketballs an endurance game so I think it’s a fair equivalent. 

So we are now the Pronghorn Antelopes?  Sorry I work 4-10’s and cannot stop being a smart ass on Thursday night.There you go see how easy that was.  

Let me know when the Pronghorns start hunting lions using that speed 😂 the antelopes sound more like those high school teams that hold the ball all game cuz there’s no shot clock. I like my mascots to be predators in the wild. 

Let me teach you a little something, I was wrong the Saluki is not what I claimed it was.  

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Press conference today. Some questions I hope he’s asked (though he may not have answers yet on all of them):

- What drew you to the SIU job?

- Who from Wright State coaching staff is joining?

- Is Jerrance Howard staying?

- Is it harder to convince Wright State players/recruits to follow with an internal hire made there?

- What is your mindset about the current Saluki roster/with most of team in the portal?

- The gap between Raiders’ offensive and defensive metrics was wide last year: how can that be addressed and what are your thoughts on the importance of playing good defense?

- As a veteran coach, what has it been like acclimating to the portal and is it overwhelming having so many spots to fill for next year’s team in the coming weeks?

- When is it realistic to have your full coaching staff assembled?

- How are you planning to sell SIU from a recruiting standpoint?

- In making the coaching change, Tim Leonard set some high expectations for the program. What is reasonable to expect from you in terms of MVC and postseason performance over the next several seasons?

Edit: Also would like to see Leonard asked about SIU’s NIL competitiveness.

I hope it’s a long press conference. 😆 

This post was modified 1 month ago by siudawgs

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@siudawgs Great questions. I would also ask if he has already, or plans to, reach out to any current SIU players to try to convince them to stay, and if he anticipates any to do that.

INSaluki and SIU Alum 05 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I want to know if he has talked to the siu players in the portal 

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

I am one that doesn't put too much stock into things like this, but for what it's worth, Stulic and Miller both liked the instagram post from SIU_Basketball announcing the hiring of Nagy.  

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

https://twitter.com/trice_travis/status/1773573950368301178

Confirming what was suggested earlier, looks like Trice will stay and work under Sargent, so Bere is the only one among Nagy's top three assistants at Wright State who, potentially, might end up at Southern.

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@siudawgs 

a possible answer to your first question. 
The AD is retiring at WSU. 

NEW AD. New expectations. Plus his last 2 years have been good. Maybe will not meet the new AD’s expectations.  
Here he  has at least 6 years. 
Just a wild guess. No info to back it up Just an observation. 

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @siudawgs

Press conference today. Some questions I hope he’s asked (though he may not have answers yet on all of them):

- What drew you to the SIU job?

- Who from Wright State coaching staff is joining?

- Is Jerrance Howard staying?

- Is it harder to convince Wright State players/recruits to follow with an internal hire made there?

- What is your mindset about the current Saluki roster/with most of team in the portal?

- The gap between Raiders’ offensive and defensive metrics was wide last year: how can that be addressed and what are your thoughts on the importance of playing good defense?

- As a veteran coach, what has it been like acclimating to the portal and is it overwhelming having so many spots to fill for next year’s team in the coming weeks?

- When is it realistic to have your full coaching staff assembled?

- How are you planning to sell SIU from a recruiting standpoint?

- In making the coaching change, Tim Leonard set some high expectations for the program. What is reasonable to expect from you in terms of MVC and postseason performance over the next several seasons?

Edit: Also would like to see Leonard asked about SIU’s NIL competitiveness.

I hope it’s a long press conference. 😆 

Same questions I'd ask. Recommend emailing them to the reporters from the Southern Illinoisan and DE, although I don't know if that will help.

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

Posted by: @siudawgs

https://twitter.com/trice_travis/status/1773573950368301178

Confirming what was suggested earlier, looks like Trice will stay and work under Sargent, so Bere is the only one among Nagy's top three assistants at Wright State who, potentially, might end up at Southern.

is he good?

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

If you haven't already, I would recommend going over to the Saluki Football Allinace thread and watching the Gridiron Club video with Hill talking about the criticality of NIL in today's athletics, particularly when discussing recruiting.

Maybe folks don't want to hear it with some posters talking about it, but you can go listen to a coach discuss the realities of recruiting moving forward. We (SIU supporters) have to figure out ways to help fund these collectives if you want any chance of success like we've seen in the past.

We've failed the previous basketball coach in this manner, if you don't want to be right back here again in 4-5 years, things have to change and soon. Whatever you can give, however often you can give it is critical right now.

Foxman24 and PackerDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)

I’d argue the previous coach didn’t do enough to push NIL to alumni.  How many of us received phone calls and emails to donate to the Floorburn U collective? I first heard about it on this site and I’ve donated to the university several times before.  Maybe he pushed the administration and they didn’t do enough, but advertisement for the Floorburn U collective has been abysmal. I’ll be sure to donate when Barkeep and 69 get the link up! 

Rockin' Dawg, Salukifan32, Foxman24 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
SlyDawg
(@slydawg)
Saluki Stadium Poster

Sources told me Jerrance Howard was a prerequisite during hiring process. The new head coach had to agree to keep him. (Lanes request)

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @siu_2011

If you haven't already, I would recommend going over to the Saluki Football Allinace thread and watching the Gridiron Club video with Hill talking about the criticality of NIL in today's athletics, particularly when discussing recruiting.

Maybe folks don't want to hear it with some posters talking about it, but you can go listen to a coach discuss the realities of recruiting moving forward. We (SIU supporters) have to figure out ways to help fund these collectives if you want any chance of success like we've seen in the past.

We've failed the previous basketball coach in this manner, if you don't want to be right back here again in 4-5 years, things have to change and soon. Whatever you can give, however often you can give it is critical right now.

On the NIL front do we know of any businesses offering separate NIL deals.  Like big time recruit drive around in this 60k f150?  Or is just most of the money in the collective?

I know you can go to https://opendorse.com/ and select to deals with individual players.

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @slydawg

Sources told me Jerrance Howard was a prerequisite during hiring process. The new head coach had to agree to keep him. (Lanes request)

I don’t like that.  His team….should pick the coaches.

Grimper57 and Sandman95 reacted
ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @johnny-utah

Posted by: @slydawg

I don’t like that.  His team….should pick the coaches.

I don't like handcuffing the incoming coach, but I do think keeping Jerrance around will be a huge benefit in reshaping the roster quickly.

--Insert something witty here--

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 44

Share: