NIL Men's Basketball

28 Posts
16 Users
37 Likes
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster
Topic starter  

Curious if the moderators of this site could display a running number of funds given to the NIL. Not individual names of folks, however, a tally of total $$$ given thru SI since the announcement of Coach Nagy. This would be similar to the Day of Giving tally amounts. @ OBD

Lastly, what is the best way to donate? Monthly set amount, or a one time/yearly amount? What have other folks done? Thank you kindly.

GO DAWGS!!! 

This topic was modified 1 month ago by TJ McFlys

SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Posted by: @tj-mcflys

Curious if the moderators of this site could display a running number of funds given to the NIL. Not individual names of folks, however, a tally of total $$$ given thru SI since the announcement of Coach Nagy. This would be similar to the Day of Giving tally amounts. @ OBD

Lastly, what is the best way to donate? Monthly set amount, or a one time/yearly amount? What have other folks done? Thank you kindly.

GO DAWGS!!! 

we are working on some stuff along these lines . Give us some time 

TJ McFlys, SlyDawg, INSaluki and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Dawg
 Dawg
(@dawg)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I did $100 yesterday.  I got a nice email from Chris Schoeman the Director of the fund.  I asked if they could implement a monthly giving option. He responded that they are working to add that now.

SlyDawg, ReSaluki 88, Quatros Saluki and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Someone recently mentioned that last year SIU basketball NIL was $70k…and this year so far is $20k. They mentioned it came from one of the folks helping run the collective. I can’t verify the exact number, but I do know they are pretty close to what was mentioned.

SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)

That feels like it isn't very much.

Rockin' Dawg and SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@spike 

Supposedly St Louis has 2.5 million?  The rest of the Valley should be checked out to get a true apple to apple comparison 

SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

NIL is only going to get worse. If it takes one million to be competitive this year, it is going to take one million plus “x” the next year, and the next year, ad infinitum. The conferences that are flush with cash from the TV contracts with the networks will be the winners because they do not have to lean upon the beleaguered fan base for an ever increasing annual donation. The laws of economics are at work and it isn’t pretty. 

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

Freedawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@foxman24)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@dawgbytes Which is why I find the idea of the non-6 schools banding together around a non-compete type of class action suit a possibility...

Freedawg and SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

I continue to get emails for the Saluki Ball and other fund raisers............ can the school donate a portion of the proceeds to the NIL initiative ??  There "has to" be ways for the University to get more involved in raising/maximizing NIL funds.  I know I would be more apt to attend some of these fundraisers if I knew a portion was going to the NIL. 

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @foxman24

@dawgbytes Which is why I find the idea of the non-6 schools banding together around a non-compete type of class action suit a possibility...

The other thing to consider is this.............almost EVERY basketball fan I know, including ones from Power 5 schools, believes that the beauty of March Madness is Mid and Small majors (Davids) playing and beating the Goliaths.  That would obviously be lost if the doomsday viewpoint comes to fruition, which is why I personally believe it WILL come to a head at some point.  Solely my opinion.  

SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@85dawg)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

I wonder if the NIL is subject to the six percent cut the Foundation gets for donations to SIU?

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @dawg

I did $100 yesterday.  I got a nice email from Chris Schoeman the Director of the fund.  I asked if they could implement a monthly giving option. He responded that they are working to add that now.

I was having some issues with the site, and the attempt to donate. I sent an email through the site, and Chris Schoeman called me to assist. However, my lovely bride was able to point out an error, and BOOM my donation went through! When I asked what amount are they looking to achieve, he told me between $400,000 - $500,000. A lot of beanz !!!

Just a thought here: The day Coach Nagy was officially announced, I believe I counted approximately 100 folks either signed in, or viewing as guests. If each person was able to donate $100, that's $10,000 just from this site alone!  That would be quite impressive!

SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Topic starter  

@85dawg This I am curious about as well. I believe Coach Hill eluded to this in his Zoom call to football NIL members. Money sent to football goes directly to the players, not to be funneled elsewhere!

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @insaluki

I continue to get emails for the Saluki Ball and other fund raisers............ can the school donate a portion of the proceeds to the NIL initiative ??  There "has to" be ways for the University to get more involved in raising/maximizing NIL funds.  I know I would be more apt to attend some of these fundraisers if I knew a portion was going to the NIL. 

I too am receiving these emails. I like your idea of this money going towards NIL, but for all sports. Perhaps it does? 

I also believe that is a said player receives an certain amount of money i.e. $300,000 that this player must be required to donate some of the money to a specific charity, or required to give back to a local business from which that student athletes prior university was located. Pay it forward so to speak. This may help slow the trend.

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

As I mentioned I gave multiple times to the NIL, and plan to give more, to use up varying balances on my gift cards and it turns out I did get an email from Chris Schoemann.  I was impressed bc it was not an automated email, but in fact personalized even noting the differing amounts.   

I'm glad to hear they have high goals and, expect/hope, they work with the leaders to figure out how to make that happen.  

SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Share: