Jerry Kill

42 Posts
15 Users
32 Likes
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster
Topic starter  

Whether you love him or hate him Coach Kill has a 2 win team last year making a bowl appearance in his 1st year at New Mexico  Staten matter what you think of him the man can turn around programs and this also is a year before they join conference USA so this is also a transition year

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

No doubt Kill is a good coach, but every one of their wins was against a patsy except for a good win against Liberty.

Lamar, Umass, no schollie Valpo, 3 win Hawaii, 2 win NM. 

Playing 6 - 6 Bowling Green in a bowl. This bowl situation is crazy anymore.

ReplyQuote
beadmedaddio
(@beadmedaddio)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@mr_woogers   I'd still take him.

I'm not sayin' -- I'm just sayin'!

ReSaluki 88 reacted
ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @beadmedaddio

@mr_woogers   I'd still take him.

In a heart beat. He is the reason SIU went from a horrible football program to top 10 in the early to mid 2000's and he set up the the recipe for SIU remaining viable in FB moving forward.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

The Aggies are better than last year and he will get it done. I'm a big Coach Kill fan...still disappointed he left, especially for NIU, but I don't blame him. I was just commenting on how the bowl situation is nuts with 6 - 6 teams playing.

He sure had some great teams and great running backs like Jacobs, Whitlock. Koutsos, Abdul-kadir, Larry Warner.

I missed very few home games in those years and even caught a few playoff games! Good times.

ReSaluki 88 and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

I still don’t understand how anybody here still supports Jerry Kill ????

saluki86alum, rafflaw, Saloukeyfan and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I'm with Barkeep. I don't care what he does as long as it's not at SIU.

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @barkeep-1967

I still don’t understand how anybody here still supports Jerry Kill ????

What did he do? I remember reading on this very forum that the football program was nearly dropped until he arrived. He turned the misfortunes around. I don't know all of the details of his time at SIU so I can't comment either way. 

ReSaluki 88 reacted
ReplyQuote
beadmedaddio
(@beadmedaddio)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I don't know what to believe.  And c'mon, some of the tales are completely unbelievable.  Since I'm not 100% positive anything I've heard, both good and bad, is accurate I'm not going to repeat any of it.  The people I know in C'dale, and still at SIU, have told me that the majority of things said about him were fabrications created by his enemies.  And I guess he made a lot.  He did things his way.  Never asking permission or offering apologies from/to the people he didn't have any respect for.  Apparently he didn't respect a lot of SIU administration and some of the people around town.  

I never met the man.  Don't know him.  But a couple people I know still residing there said he's a man that will look you in the eye when he shakes your hand.  And he'll tell you if he agrees with you or if he thinks you're full of shat.  And if you got in the way of his plans, he would run you over.  I know there are a lot of people who would not like these personality traits.

I'm have no doubt I only know a minor part of the whole.  But what I think I know, SIU is better off for employing him.   But...

I'm not sayin' -- I'm just sayin'!

ReSaluki 88 reacted
ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Jerry Kill saved our football program. Jerry Kill also sued the university for $50k that he felt was still owed to him following his move to NIU. Mario was AD when he sued. From what I understand, SIU and Kill settled. There was obviously no acrimony as Kill was later hired as an advisor and then as interim AD. When Kill came back he raised an extraordinary amount of money for the athletic program. Fundraising is something he does very well! He left SIU to get back into coaching. Mario respected him enough despite the previous lawsuit to hire him as MNSU head FB coach. I know a lot of people in Southern Illinois who love and respect coach Kill. Some don't, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Jerry Kill demands excellence, if you worked in the athletic department and didn't hold yourself to those high standards you were probably not respected or necessarily treated well by coach Kill. Everyone I know who worked in the athletic department with Kill loved and revered him, and still do.

What is not up for debate is what Kill has done for Southern Illinois University athletics, from a fundraising, coaching and an awareness standpoint.

Regarding his coaching legacy:

He saved SIU from dropping FB and turned us into an FCS powerhouse.

He inherited a terrible NIU team and turned them around in short order.

He inherited a horrible Minnesota FB team and turned them into a big 10 powerhouse.

He inherited a 2-10 New Mexico State FB team, one of the absolute worst BCS team in the country and got them bowl eligible in 1 year.

Lastly, he has raised millions of dollars for cancer research through his foundation. 

beadmedaddio reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

I heard so much stupid gossip on here about Kill - gossip is bull turds!

Isn't Kill the one who fired Hinson? Case closed!

beadmedaddio reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @mr_woogers

I heard so much stupid gossip on here about Kill - gossip is bull turds!

Isn't Kill the one who fired Hinson? Case closed!

I know know much about the Kill drama when he was an AD (apparently it involves wasteful spending) but Kill waited an extra year to pull the plug on Hinson.  It could have easily been pulled the year before but they gave him one more year with a veteran team and they underachieved again as everyone knew they would.  They could have easily hired Mullins after the Loyola Final Four run.

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

I know a whole lot of it. 

As a football coach he was great. 

As an AD he was not

I try to be nice but this man screwed Tommy Bell without Lube. Saved BBQ for another year and took credit for other people’s fundraising then fled the town he loved so much. 

sure sounds like a great guy

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster
Topic starter  

Listened to part 2 of his interview during halftime of Alcorn St and he had nothing but praise for SIU and everyone involved

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3

Share: