Clear all

Carbondale/Southern Illinois restaurants

149 Posts
41 Users
26 Likes
33.7 K Views
(@risaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

That's some deflating news on the Booby's front.  Thank God for 17th Street.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@risaluki 

Im very concerned that it is underfinanced. I looked inside on Sept 2 and it looked just liked it was described above. Looked liked it hadn't been touched in years. No sign of anything that remotely looks like its anywhere near completion. Was very deflating. Not sure why you would fix up the beer garden first except you make more money on alcohol than on food.....hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if it ever opens. I sure hope I am wrong. I was concerned when the sign went up before anything was else was done. I would think that would be nearly the last thing you would spend money on until the store was finished.... Might need someone to come in and save the day.

This post was modified 8 months ago by dogdays

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @dogdays

@risaluki 

Im very concerned that it is underfinanced. I looked inside on Sept 2 and it looked just liked it was described above. Looked liked it hadn't been touched in years. No sign of anything that remotely looks like its anywhere near completion. Was very deflating. Not sure why you would fix up the beer garden first except you make more money on alcohol than on food.....hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if it ever opens. I sure hope I am wrong. I was concerned when the sign went up before anything was else was done. I would think that would be nearly the last thing you would spend money on until the store was finished.... Might need someone to come in and save the day.

That sign had to cost some bucks, so I think they're serious about it. Could be they have full time jobs and just can't get to it right now. A Homecoming opening would sure draw a lot of business, but no way that will happen IMO.

ReplyQuote
Saloukeyfan
(@saloukeyfan)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Bye bye Marion 17th Street BBQ.

MARION, Ill. -- 17th Street Barbecue announced on Tuesday they have closed their doors in Marion after 19 years in business.

“After almost 19 years of operating our Marion location, we’ve closed the doors on that operation,” announced owner Amy Mills. “We’ve had a tremendous run and are so proud to have been one of the pioneering businesses when the hill was developed in the early aughts."

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @saloukeyfan

Bye bye Marion 17th Street BBQ.

MARION, Ill. -- 17th Street Barbecue announced on Tuesday they have closed their doors in Marion after 19 years in business.

“After almost 19 years of operating our Marion location, we’ve closed the doors on that operation,” announced owner Amy Mills. “We’ve had a tremendous run and are so proud to have been one of the pioneering businesses when the hill was developed in the early aughts."

Anybody have any insight on this on why they’re closing? I know some like it. Personally I think it’s the most overrated and overpriced food around here but I’m probably in the minority in that thinking. 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

I have heard from several that the food there was not the same quality as the original in Murph - disappointing. Not surprised since Marion is fast-food heaven, and the competition for those passing through on I-57 has to be fierce.

Amy Mills also put some serious money into Faye, the new restaurant in Murph. And maybe she doesn't want to constantly be taking the 50 mile round trip to the land of fast food to manage that place. Don't blame her cuz Marion is not my cup of tea - cultural wasteland (except for Menards! LOL)

ReplyQuote
(@salukimodemrowe)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I used to work there when Mike Mills would pass through now and again, probably 2011 or so.  Had one of the best crews back then.  Usually the same 1 or 2 people are in charge of trimming the meat and smoking it, honestly is not the easiest job.  Obviously we have all moved on from there and a lot has changed.  Interesting fact, unless something has changed, I believe Mike Mills was the only BBQ Pitmaster to have an Airforce 1 clearance.  He was a go to guy for Bill Clinton, which makes since if one from Arkansas desired some good BBQ

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Even the Murphysboro location isn’t what it once was, in my opinion. Especially for the price.

But I do like Faye — the new cafe next door in Murphysboro. 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

BOOBYs is now serving subs - just in time for the eclipse crowd. Channel 3 had vids of people ordering subs today!!

(Expecting 15K at Saluki Stadium tomorrow - people from CA, S.C., Miami, etc descending on C'Dale)

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Mr_Woogers

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @mr_woogers

BOOBYs is now serving subs - just in time for the eclipse crowd. Channel 3 had vids of people ordering subs today!!

(Expecting 15K at Saluki Stadium tomorrow - people from CA, S.C., Miami, etc descending on C'Dale)

ReplyQuote
Saloukeyfan
(@saloukeyfan)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Went to 17th Street in Murphy yesterday afternoon. VERY disappointed would be an understatement. Food is nothing like it used to be. I won't be back. I would estimate it is 50% from what it used to be. If you still like it, kudos to you. 

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Have heard the same  complaint from others the last few months and I wasn't a fan to begin with 

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @saloukeyfan

Went to 17th Street in Murphy yesterday afternoon. VERY disappointed would be an understatement. Food is nothing like it used to be. I won't be back. I would estimate it is 50% from what it used to be. If you still like it, kudos to you. 

Last Fall I had pulled pork and chicken wings (carry out) and they were wonderful.

Best barbecued wings I've ever had.

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 10

Share: