NIL is ruining college sports

38 Posts
17 Users
24 Likes
beadmedaddio
(@beadmedaddio)
McAndrew Stadium Poster
Topic starter  

I saw today that the Utah Utes are giving all 85 scholarship players a new Dodge Ram pickup truck.  How can any non power 5 team compete on the recruiting trail?

I'm not sayin' -- I'm just sayin'!

Saluki 69 and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

It will only get worse

ReplyQuote
Saluki 69
(@saluki-69)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

College sports as we knew it 10 years ago is dead.

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @beadmedaddio

I saw today that the Utah Utes are giving all 85 scholarship players a new Dodge Ram pickup truck.  How can any non power 5 team compete on the recruiting trail?

Read about that - $6 million dollars worth of RAM pickups - not the bare bones model either - that includes insurance and lease. That works out to about $70,000 per player. A RAM Bighorn 4x4 with a V8 starts out at about $52,000, so these must be absolutely loaded with every possible option.

I guess there's no limit to what you can give a player now. Are prostitutes OK? Pitino thought so! LOL

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

Are we acting like this kind of stuff didn't already happen? Lol

ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

Btw last year 2 of the final 4 teams were mid majors. And a school like Rutgers is landing top 5 recruits over Kansas/Duke. I don't think NIL is all that bad. Nothing wrong with athletes getting rewarded for all the money they help bring into the university. It's ok for change I promise it won't hurt you

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @salukifan32

Yes we are. 85 players on a team did not get $70,000 trucks. A few stars like Reggie Bush got bribed, Rick Pitino's staff got prostitutes for Louisville players,  and Roy Williams' players at UNC had designated test takers for  Basketball Cliches 101, 201, and 301,  but nothing on this scale occurred.

ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

Posted by: @mr_woogers

Yes we are. 85 players on a team did not get $70,000 trucks. A few stars like Reggie Bush got bribed, Rick Pitino's staff got prostitutes for Louisville players,  and Roy Williams' players at UNC had designated test takers for  Basketball Cliches 101, 201, and 301,  but nothing on this scale occurred.

Yes never on this scale but the big schools have always been paying for/bribing players. Now it seems almost like more schools are having a chance at these players. I guess I don't understand why people would be upset that these players got a new truck. Who cares? Good for them is what I think 

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Yes never on this scale but the big schools have always been paying for/bribing players. Now it seems almost like more schools are having a chance at these players. I guess I don't understand why people would be upset that these players got a new truck. Who cares? Good for them is what I think 

I don't think folks are upset the players are getting these perks, the point is the playing field isn't remotely fair, the NIL is not being regulated and the NIL parameter's aren't even being defined. Schools that don't have the huge budgets or mega-super rich donors, I.E. mid majors can't compete for recruits and have trouble retaining players. Domask and Jones would not have left if Illinois and Purdue weren't paying them well.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

Posted by: @resaluki-88

I don't think folks are upset the players are getting these perks, the point is the playing field isn't remotely fair, the NIL is not being regulated and the NIL parameter's aren't even being defined. Schools that don't have the huge budgets or mega-super rich donors, I.E. mid majors can't compete for recruits and have trouble retaining players. Domask and Jones would not have left if Illinois and Purdue weren't paying them well.

Domask and Jones played here for 4 years. They left because of the extra covid year. If it wasn't for that, they would have spent their entire careers here. Our football team has multiple power 5 transfers and was ranked top five in the nation 3 weeks ago. Meanwhile, the basketball team is coming off its highest win percentage in 15 years. I guess I just haven't seen yet how it hurts mid majors so much

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @resaluki-88

I don't think Domask and Jones left for money, but we'll never know. They had their degrees and had a chance to play in better programs, so why not?

I absolutely think the NIL will hurt mids when it comes to recruiting, especially recruiting those 3 and 4 star players they might otherwise have a shot at getting.

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

I don’t think the money offered hurt.  If I remember correctly, Domask has stated he is interested in college coaching.  With that in mind, he may have felt playing in another program for a year would provide him with more insight and a chance to see how others do things. If he wants to coach I look for him to be a graduate assistant somewhere next year.

With Jones, I read on a Purdue podcast that Painter said they targeted him to recruit.  That makes sense since they needed an athletic guard who can defend.  I think he will have a great year there.

I would have loved to have seen both return, but understand the allure of playing in the Big 10.  I also did not expect them to return so I was only mildly disappointed.  As I stated in another post, I was very disappointed when Verplancken left. I thought that was a big loss last year.  

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @freedawg

I don’t think the money offered hurt.  If I remember correctly, Domask has stated he is interested in college coaching.  With that in mind, he may have felt playing in another program for a year would provide him with more insight and a chance to see how others do things. If he wants to coach I look for him to be a graduate assistant somewhere next year.

With Jones, I read on a Purdue podcast that Painter said they targeted him to recruit.  That makes sense since they needed an athletic guard who can defend.  I think he will have a great year there.

I would have loved to have seen both return, but understand the allure of playing in the Big 10.  I also did not expect them to return so I was only mildly disappointed.  As I stated in another post, I was very disappointed when Verplancken left. I thought that was a big loss last year.  

Domask is going to play professionally before he gets into coaching. He will most likely be playing pro ball overseas next year.

ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

@resaluki-88 Domask playing professionally makes some sense since he will already have a graduate degree.  It may all depend on what offers he gets overseas or in the G-League.

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I had numerous friends who attended Illinois during the flying Illini days. One person told me that each player on that team drove a new Chevy Blazer to campus. Irvin Small and Lowell Hamilton walked around campus with two pit bulls as well. Super BA.

I believe many of the football players during the Mike White era received the same treatment. I do not believe the slush fund was utilized for this, but could certainly be wrong. 

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3

Share: