Clear all

NIL is ruining college sports

42 Posts
18 Users
27 Reactions
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Some folks are complaining that SIU needs to do a better job in the portal. My question to those folks is: Are you a donor to SIU Athletics? Do you have season tickets? Have you given money to either the basketball NIL or football? If not, than you really have no say in the matter. If you have, maybe giving slightly more would assist? SIU can not compete with Illinois for example, much like Illinois can not compete with Michigan. It is what it is. I purchase season tickets and donate to SASF every year, but living three states away makes it difficult to attend. I know that athletics can use the money, so I am completely fine with that. I have donated to NIL for both major sports, not much, but something. I'm certainly not going to talk down kids who decided to come SIU, and who have yet to play a game here. 

GO DAWGS!!!

ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I'd argue the further conglomeration of P5 schools into Super conferences is what is really harming college athletics.

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

It all boils down to money and no matter what conglomeration of the P5 conferences they have large tv contracts and their own conference network and in some cases some schools have their own contracts not to mention the post season bowl games in football so how do you compete with their millions and you are scraping up the crumbs

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I think you should probably re-title this Greed and Money are ruining college athletics. It doesn't matter how much money those at P5 institutions make, they'll always want more. It doesn't matter how big a piece of the pie they have they'll always want more. Who cares if you are ruining the sport, just get me mine and then some. That goes for the NCAA too who are just as complicit in all this mess (see NIT rule change as the latest example).

NIL is allowing a very few kids to get the crumbs leftover from the billions being made by the those at the top. I don't fault the kids for this, it's the so called adults in the room that have really screwed the pooch here.

Salukifan32 and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @tj-mcflys

Posted by: @salukifan32

Are we acting like this kind of stuff didn't already happen? Lol

I had numerous friends who attended Illinois during the flying Illini days. One person told me that each player on that team drove a new Chevy Blazer to campus. Irvin Small and Lowell Hamilton walked around campus with two pit bulls as well. Super BA.

I believe many of the football players during the Mike White era received the same treatment. I do not believe the slush fund was utilized for this, but could certainly be wrong. 

Bruce Pearl is hated in Champaign for saying the quiet part out loud back in the day

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @salukiworld

Posted by: @tj-mcflys

I had numerous friends who attended Illinois during the flying Illini days. One person told me that each player on that team drove a new Chevy Blazer to campus. Irvin Small and Lowell Hamilton walked around campus with two pit bulls as well. Super BA.

I believe many of the football players during the Mike White era received the same treatment. I do not believe the slush fund was utilized for this, but could certainly be wrong. 

Bruce Pearl is hated in Champaign for saying the quiet part out loud back in the day

That was all about recruiting Deon Thomas. The stuff Pearl alleged when snitching on Illinois was never proven. It did however prevent Thomas from getting to play his freshman year.

Pearl is one of the biggest cheaters in college basketball. Almost everywhere he's gone has been nailed for NCAA violations. Not sure why he hasn't received a ban like Kelvin Sampson. Pearl has no principles.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/4/4/18295241/bruce-pearl-final-four-timeline-infractions-auburn-lowa-deon-thomas-wire-milwaukee-violations

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Where I now reside is about an hour and a half from Florida State. A guy I play golf with is a huge Florida State fan. The other day we were having a beer and he was bemoaning the fact that FSU was in the ACC rather than SEC. He went on to say that FSU only gets 30 something million a year TV $$ whereas SEC schools get 80 something million. TV money is driving the NCAA bus and the push to NIL. 

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

AirDawg86 and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @dawgbytes

Where I now reside is about an hour and a half from Florida State. A guy I play golf with is a huge Florida State fan. The other day we were having a beer and he was bemoaning the fact that FSU was in the ACC rather than SEC. He went on to say that FSU only gets 30 something million a year TV $$ whereas SEC schools get 80 something million. TV money is driving the NCAA bus and the push to NIL. 

Sorry to say this but that is not breaking news. The money is why we have the demise of the traditional conferences and my guess after the playoff snub for FSU they will be on the move from the ACC shortly

ReplyQuote
(@85dawg)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

I understand FSU is under strong consideration for membership in the BIG 10, (12), (14), etc.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Clemson, Florida State, and N.C. to the Big 15. Book it.

Nebraska to the MVC. Book it.

Redturds to the Great Lakes Valley Conference. Book it!

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

No way Nebraska drops down to FCS in football if anything they head back to the big 12

ReplyQuote
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @resaluki-88

Posted by: @mr_woogers

Yes we are. 85 players on a team did not get $70,000 trucks. A few stars like Reggie Bush got bribed, Rick Pitino's staff got prostitutes for Louisville players,  and Roy Williams' players at UNC had designated test takers for  Basketball Cliches 101, 201, and 301,  but nothing on this scale occurred.

Yes never on this scale but the big schools have always been paying for/bribing players. Now it seems almost like more schools are having a chance at these players. I guess I don't understand why people would be upset that these players got a new truck. Who cares? Good for them is what I think 

I don't think folks are upset the players are getting these perks, the point is the playing field isn't remotely fair, the NIL is not being regulated and the NIL parameter's aren't even being defined. Schools that don't have the huge budgets or mega-super rich donors, I.E. mid majors can't compete for recruits and have trouble retaining players. Domask and Jones would not have left if Illinois and Purdue weren't paying them well.

BINGO. And it isn't about the system suddenly deciding to reward kids for helping their schools make money, it's about media dollars and the networks wanting to reward the big schools at the expense of everyone else. Charles Barkley nailed it when he said in a few years 20 or so schools would dominate college basketball. 

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

ReplyQuote
(@multispeed)
Saluki Stadium Poster

Please search:

"Federal Judge Grants Injunction Preventing NCAA From Enforcing NIL Rules"

for an update on the current NIL status. For some reason I cannot post a valid link.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Report: Potential No. 1 NFL Draft pick Caleb Williams made approximately $10 million in NIL deals at USC

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-potential-no-1-nfl-draft-pick-caleb-williams-made-approximately-10-million-in-nil-deals-at-usc-164614055.html

ReplyQuote
beadmedaddio
(@beadmedaddio)
McAndrew Stadium Poster
Topic starter  

I read an article that said that quarterback that recently committed to U of Tennessee was given 8 million.  Not bad for an 18 year old.

I'm not sayin' -- I'm just sayin'!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3

Share: