NIL is ruining college sports

42 Posts
18 Users
25 Likes
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @beadmedaddio

I read an article that said that quarterback that recently committed to U of Tennessee was given 8 million.  Not bad for an 18 year old.

The top players are going to stay in college longer. Top FB and bball players can conceivably make more in NIL than in their first contract in the league.

ReplyQuote
carrcar
(@carrcar)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

The death knell came at a Florida High School Athletic Association meeting where a proposal was introduced that would allow high school student-athletes to get paid for their name, image, and likeness (NIL). This proposal is nothing more than just a formality because it is fully expected that Florida will join more than 30 other states that will allow high school students to receive NIL deals (cash for playing football, basketball, etc.).

Here's Bianchi's column: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2024/03/02/nil-florida-high-schools-mike-bianchi-commentary/

“The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.”
-- Al McGuire

beadmedaddio and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
carrcar
(@carrcar)

Bump

-- Al McGuire

ReplyQuote
carrcar
(@carrcar)

in a few years, we won’t have any recruiting problems. The NIL/Portal will become NCAA draft day.

-- Al McGuire

ReplyQuote
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin

Even the student managers are getting into NIL now....

https://twitter.com/GeddesPoolsInc/status/1770080581935641056?s=20

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @obd

Good grief. In a couple years we won’t be able to get good water boys. 😂

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)

Posted by: @obd

What in the tar nation?!!!

ReplyQuote
beadmedaddio
(@beadmedaddio)
McAndrew Stadium Poster
Topic starter  

Does SIU have a collective direction with all their sports, both men and women, for the NIL or is it autonomous to each particular team and head coach?  Nick Hill is the only coach, that I am aware of, that started moving on it a couple years ago.  Appears he has a good start and has the ball rolling.  He's actively promoting a program where money is donated automatically every month from the donors.  Did Bryan Mullins have any NIL program in place?  Does any other sport?  It seems to me that the Athletic Department should have dedicated people in place to run the NIL program for all sports. Or if the NIL program has to be outside the schools purview, then the Athletic Department should at least have people communicating with it. Anybody know?

I'm not sayin' -- I'm just sayin'!

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I was just over on the Bears message board and saw Conzo was telling boosters he needed $1 million in NIL to be competitive. Now that could be a shoot for the stars amount, but I don’t think $500k+ is unreasonable at this level. 

I just don’t see how this is sustainable for mid-majors long term. Asking donors to cough up that much money in addition to the school’s other needs. That’s just for basketball!

This post was modified 1 day ago by SIU_2011

Freedawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)

Posted by: @siu_2011

I was just over on the Bears message board and saw Congo was telling boosters he needed $1 million in NIL to be competitive. Now that could be a shoot for the stars amount, but I don’t think $500k+ is unreasonable at this level. 

I just don’t see how this is sustainable for mid-majors long term. Asking donors to cough up that much money in addition to the school’s other needs. That’s just for basketball!

And it's just for one year. Crazy.

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @cosmos

Posted by: @siu_2011

I was just over on the Bears message board and saw Congo was telling boosters he needed $1 million in NIL to be competitive. Now that could be a shoot for the stars amount, but I don’t think $500k+ is unreasonable at this level. 

And it's just for one year. Crazy.

I can’t imagine a place with 2,000 fans a game finding that much money for NIL but I could be wrong. 

ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)

All it takes is one. Our richest alum started a basketball team and is a sports fan. If he decided to donate like the Koch brother, we could get a Wichita jump in funding. Who knows.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3

Share: