2024 Football Offseason

45 Posts
16 Users
34 Likes
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

https://twitter.com/dunesmith8/status/1782896172895543630?s=46&t=7s0hTttieSER8wqRSA0LoA

Not a good day.  

This has to be for non-football reasons, right? He was a captain at the spring game and was set to have another stellar year. 

Damn, this one stings. 

ReplyQuote
SIU Alum 05
(@siu-alum-05)
Saluki Stadium Poster

No!! 😭

ReplyQuote
SIU Alum 05
(@siu-alum-05)
Saluki Stadium Poster

ReplyQuote
SIU Alum 05
(@siu-alum-05)
Saluki Stadium Poster

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Reed isn’t a loss, but Smith is monumental.

I wonder if a bigger program snooped around and got him to chase some money. 

Probably the biggest loss SIU could possibly have. 

ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Truly bummed about Davis and Smith. If they had an opportunity to better themselves, or their family, I am certain Coach Hill gave his blessings. That is what he did with Branson Combs. I saw somewhere on X that we have offered a player from Purdue, and another from Kentucky. Hoping we can replace these two. 

SIU Alum 05 reacted
ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

3 players, 2 of whom are very significant all enter the portal following the spring game? Something obviously triggered this. Meetings with coaches following the spring game and the end of spring practice possibly?

TJ McFlys reacted
ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)

Horrible news. Can’t easily replace defensive captains. 

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Hope nothing is seriously wrong but it seems extremely odd that we are having players leave directly after the spring scrimmage 

ReplyQuote
(@valleyfb)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@tj-mcflys for some reason I find it odd a HC would give players and leaders their blessings when wanting to leave. 
Call me crazy but I would fight like hell to keep them on my team.  Nice guys finish last in college sports. Especially D1 football.  

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Mark Davis to Vanderbilt. Probably a decent payday for him. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @saluki44

Mark Davis to Vanderbilt. Probably a decent payday for him. 

Jerry Kill is at Vandy

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Nick and his staff have done a great job recruiting/developing DBs. Not gonna sweat the loss too much 

TJ McFlys reacted
ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)

Posted by: @valleyfb

@tj-mcflys for some reason I find it odd a HC would give players and leaders their blessings when wanting to leave. 
Call me crazy but I would fight like hell to keep them on my team.  Nice guys finish last in college sports. Especially D1 football.  

I would try as well in keeping these type players. Perhaps listen to Coach Hill and his talk regarding the Football Collective. I believe he mentions that he suggested to Branson Combs that he enter his name into the portal. He did, and is now at Wake Forest receiving $150,000, and playing in the ACC. Davis is now at Vanderbilt, playing in the SEC, and receiving a nice payday. You can ask players to stay, but at the end of the day, you can not force them to stay. It is what it is in todays college landscape. Obviously there is very little you or I can do about the situation, other than donate more to the collective to keep the better players. 

FWIW, I believe that Nick Hill is a good coach, who has his players best interest at heart. 

GO DAWGS!!!

1DAWG and Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@valleyfb)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@tj-mcflys I think Davis and Combs were between 25 and 50k each plus whatever monthly scholarship check which has to be substantially larger than SIU’s $1000 rent and food check.  Great for both kids though. I’m just saying I’m not giving my blessings until I fight like hell to keep. It’s D1 football. 

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3

Share: