112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.3 K Views
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @spike

I'm telling you. It wasn't Nagy, it was Pastner who met halfway from Connecticut. 

He wants another shot at a head job. Just has to get his media commitments in check.

If they're hiring a former coach in the media, I'd much rather go after Tom Crean than Josh Pastner.  Pastner is a disaster as a head coach.

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

@dawgbytes not like he was highly sought after. Got an assistant job on the worst team in the big east. Probably will win as many games as Siu over the next year of the rebuild

ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)

Posted by: @saluki-4-life

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

Posted by: @salukiworld

Nobody said Nagy said no.  Be patient and let it play out.  He has to go back to Dayton no matter what, they're not kidnapping him.  If the SIU jet goes flying to some other place in the next 2 days then you have your answer.

I am saying he said no. Not a guess based on him flying home.

If you're playing reporter here, I'm going to play the role of editor. You can't reveal the identity of your source, obviously. But tell me something about him/her. Is it someone in the SIU administration? Someone in the athletic department? Someone in the media? How high-ranking and well-placed is this person? Have you gone to this source before, and has he/she generally been reliable? Have you made calls to Wright State people who would be in a position to know what's going on? 

Don't take this as an attack -- I used to supervise reporters way back when and these are EXACTLY the questions I would ask in such a situation. If the reporter couldn't answer them to my satisfaction, we usually killed the story.

not looking for credibility. Just sharing. You can believe it or not.

It may be true but I don't believe you know any more than the rest of us. I remember you saying the interview was a sham and they already knew who they were hiring so I guess those sources weren't so good.

ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Nobody said Nagy said no.  Be patient and let it play out.  He has to go back to Dayton no matter what, they're not kidnapping him.  If the SIU jet goes flying to some other place in the next 2 days then you have your answer.

I am saying he said no. Not a guess based on him flying home.

If you're playing reporter here, I'm going to play the role of editor. You can't reveal the identity of your source, obviously. But tell me something about him/her. Is it someone in the SIU administration? Someone in the athletic department? Someone in the media? How high-ranking and well-placed is this person? Have you gone to this source before, and has he/she generally been reliable? Have you made calls to Wright State people who would be in a position to know what's going on? 

Don't take this as an attack -- I used to supervise reporters way back when and these are EXACTLY the questions I would ask in such a situation. If the reporter couldn't answer them to my satisfaction, we usually killed the story.

not looking for credibility. Just sharing. You can believe it or not.

Fair enough, and I neither believe nor disbelieve at this point, but if you're going to get people on this board all riled up, it's also fair to ask you to "share" some details about where your information is coming from.

that’s fair. I’m not sure if where I heard it reads the board, if they’d be upset, but I don’t want to take that chance. I believe where I heard it from, that’s all I can really say.

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)

@dawg 

So glad to be out of that heat. And the difficulty of escaping crowds of people. 

Here's hoping the Nagy family likes a bit of solitude from time to time . . .

(Inflammatory political snark)

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)

@salukiworld 

So true.

(Inflammatory political snark)

ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)

Posted by: @kiwiball

@salukiworld 

I Understand the process.  Hypothetically if Nagy said no, hypothetically all the other individuals who have interviewed said No. 

Just wondering what are we missing as Saluki loyalists that the candidates are not missing and saying No.  

The only way of knowing what actually has transpired is to be a part of the process. Who knows, it could be if they said no it was to the terms of the agreement offered rather than the job itself. It could be money, years, buyouts, expectations, etc.  

SalukiWorld reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @spike

I'm telling you. It wasn't Nagy, it was Pastner who met halfway from Connecticut. 

He wants another shot at a head job. Just has to get his media commitments in check.

If they're hiring a former coach in the media, I'd much rather go after Tom Crean than Josh Pastner.  Pastner is a disaster as a head coach.

Please refer to the questions I asked Saluki-4-Life. I'd ask you to provide the same answers about how you dug up this information.

I can't say Pastner didn't learn under some very good coaches at Arizona, and he did have some excellent seasons at Memphis, but he darn near destroyed the Georgia Tech program, and as far I can tell people aren't exactly beating down his door to bring him out of "retirement."

Also, if coaches from conferences a level below the MVC are turning SIU down because of poor facilities, subpar NIL, rural setting, etc., why would Pastner -- who is used to coaching at urban, Power 6-level schools with all kinds of goodies -- be willing to come to Carbondale?

This post was modified 2 months ago by AJCSaluki

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

A lot of people are seeing this search as a disaster, I don't right now.  I think they're interviewing high quality candidates and until they stop interviewing high quality candidates and stoop down to the Kent Williams, Dana Ford, Pat Skerry level of candidate, I'm going to trust they're going to get a good coach.

Yeah it would be nice to have a coach hired today but they shouldn't rush themselves into a bad hire because then we'll just be right back here in 3-5 years.

This post was modified 2 months ago by SalukiWorld

Rockin' Dawg, MPH, SIU Alum 05 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@salukiworld we would have been here in 2 years anyway might as well start now and get the right guy

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @saluki44

Posted by: @kiwiball

@salukiworld 

I Understand the process.  Hypothetically if Nagy said no, hypothetically all the other individuals who have interviewed said No. 

Just wondering what are we missing as Saluki loyalists that the candidates are not missing and saying No.  

How do you know that candidates are saying no? 

i said HYPOTHETICALLY if they said no.  What are they seeing that we as Supporters are not.  I am not saying they are saying no.

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@kiwiball I think the issue people are mixing you up with individuals who have sources and those who are making stuff up. That’s why I said everyone is in the dark

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

A lot of people are seeing this search as a disaster, I don't right now.  I think they're interviewing high quality candidates and until they stop interviewing high quality candidates and stoop down to the Kent Williams, Dana Ford, Pat Skerry level of candidate, I'm going to trust they're going to get a good coach.

Yeah it would be nice to have a coach hired today but they shouldn't rush themselves into a bad hire because then we'll just be right back here in 3-5 years.

Eventually they’re going to run out of jet fuel.

I appreciate where you’re coming from but in the short term, this a PR hit with fans, players, media, etc. And the further they get down the list, the closer you get to the Dana Ford tier.

ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)

Posted by: @siudawgs

Eventually they’re going to run out of jet fuel.

I appreciate where you’re coming from but in the short term, this a PR hit with fans, players, media, etc. And the further they get down the list, the closer you get to the Dana Ford tier.

Yes… and if we settle on an assistant coach with no HC experience the outcry is going to be massive and it should be.

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @dunkledog

@saluki44 he doesn’t but I highly doubt Saluki-4 life does either.

HYPOTHETICALLY if they said no.  Never said they actually said no. What we not seeing that they are seeing? 

ReplyQuote
Page 142 / 164

Share: