45.8 K Views
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @saluki-4-life

Posted by: @siudawgs

Posted by: @salukiworld

A lot of people are seeing this search as a disaster, I don't right now.  I think they're interviewing high quality candidates and until they stop interviewing high quality candidates and stoop down to the Kent Williams, Dana Ford, Pat Skerry level of candidate, I'm going to trust they're going to get a good coach.

Yeah it would be nice to have a coach hired today but they shouldn't rush themselves into a bad hire because then we'll just be right back here in 3-5 years.

Eventually they’re going to run out of jet fuel.

I appreciate where you’re coming from but in the short term, this a PR hit with fans, players, media, etc. And the further they get down the list, the closer you get to the Dana Ford tier.

Yes… and if we settle on an assistant coach with no HC experience the outcry is going to be massive and it should be.

So you would have never hired Bruce Weber?  

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I don’t necessarily think an assistant who is talented is bad. They just have to be a good assistant. Lots of them are hired and do a fantastic job. We just got one who couldn’t do it

ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

Posted by: @spike

I'm telling you. It wasn't Nagy, it was Pastner who met halfway from Connecticut. 

He wants another shot at a head job. Just has to get his media commitments in check.

If they're hiring a former coach in the media, I'd much rather go after Tom Crean than Josh Pastner.  Pastner is a disaster as a head coach.

Please refer to the questions I asked Saluki-4-Life. I'd ask you to provide the same answers about how you dug up this information.

I can't say Pastner didn't learn under some very good coaches at Arizona, and he did have some excellent seasons at Memphis, but he darn near destroyed the Georgia Tech program, and as far I can tell people aren't exactly beating down his door to bring him out of "retirement."

Also, if coaches from conferences a level below the MVC are turning SIU down because of poor facilities, subpar NIL, rural setting, etc., why would Pastner -- who is used to coaching at urban, Power 6-level schools with all kinds of goodies -- be willing to come to Carbondale?

I got it from my bum. Pastner is not a great coach but he is a personality and a good fundraiser and I was having some fun(although he has said in recent interviews he goes back and forth on getting back into coaching or pushing ahead as a broadcaster).

But I also think there is some falsehoods being spread. SIU doesn't have poor facilities. Post renovation SIU Arena is a jewel of mid major basketball, especially with the attached Boydston Center and Troutt Whitman Center and new scoreboards. The only thing it is missing is a practice facility. You add that into the existing arena complex and the Arena is a P5 level facility. 

Rockin' Dawg, SlyDawg, AirDawg86 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@saluki-4-life assistants aren’t always bad lots are successful we just hired the one who couldn’t do it without 10 years

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

If we keep striking out give Luke Murray a shot….he at least will have the offense Chancellor Lane is looking for.

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @dunkledog

@saluki-4-life assistants aren’t always bad lots are successful we just hired the one who couldn’t do it without 10 years

we didn’t fired a guy who won 80 games over 5 years for a crapshoot. Sorry. That’s a disaster.

beadmedaddio reacted
ReplyQuote
Salukian
(@salukian)
Davies Gym Poster

@jabman62 well good for him

Get off my lawn

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@saluki-4-life wardle got 2 ncaa bids in his first 5 years coming from a complete disaster of a rebuild. So yeas it wasn’t a successful 5 years sorry

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @johnny-utah

If we keep striking out give Luke Murray a shot….he at least will have the offense Chancellor Lane is looking for.

I think Murray has been turning down decent jobs to stay at UConn.  I can't imagine SIU would be the first and best call to hire him

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@kiwiball I think the issue people are mixing you up with individuals who have sources and those who are making stuff up. That’s why I said everyone is in the dark

Thank you.  I know they are doing their due diligence in finding the correct candidate. So hopefully they get the best possible outcome when all is said and done!

ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)

Posted by: @saluki-4-life

we didn’t fired a guy who won 80 games over 5 years for a crapshoot. Sorry. That’s a disaster.

Mullins win totals were largely empty. Much like Hinson before him.

Built on really poor scheduling.

Hinson had a 22 win season which featured not a single quality win. They were 2-6 against the top teams in the conference and lost to Wichita State and Evansville by an average of 16 points. But according to you that would have been a good season.

Rockin' Dawg, Austinsaluki, oberkfell and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I think Murray has been turning down decent jobs to stay at UConn.  I can't imagine SIU would be the first and best call to hire him

I wouldn’t think so, I just see he was make 250k so I thought 600k might entice him.  Just don’t see going from 500k to 600k for Nagy would be too enticing but maybe it will be.  

If the reports are true that everyone keeps turning us down and we are on like our 5th or 6th choice…..something has to be up right?  It has to be us, right?  Can we sit and look in the mirror and be self critical.  We are all homers and kind of look at ourselves differently but is it really something wrong with the situation, facility, leadership or what?  Or maybe nothing is really going wrong and we are just in panic mode as fans.  I don’t know.

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

I wouldn’t think so, I just see he was make 250k so I thought 600k might entice him.  Just don’t see going from 500k to 600k for Nagy would be too enticing but maybe it will be.  

If the reports are true that everyone keeps turning us down and we are on like our 5th or 6th choice…..something has to be up right?  It has to be us, right?  Can we sit and look in the mirror and be self critical.  We are all homers and kind of look at ourselves differently but is it really something wrong with the situation, facility, leadership or what?  Or maybe nothing is really going wrong and we are just in panic mode as fans.  I don’t know.

I don’t think our drawbacks are any great mystery. Not much of an NIL program in place. Rural location. A chancellor interviewing elsewhere. High expectations to make the NCAAs despite not having done so in nearly two decades. Etc.

SIU’s strengths (tradition, solid league, good fan base, nice campus) don’t seem to be as impactful in today’s landscape.

Freedawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Maybe it’s the airplane we keep picking everyone up in.  Maybe we need to upgrade to a jet to try and impress them.

MPH and AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I don’t necessarily think an assistant who is talented is bad. They just have to be a good assistant. Lots of them are hired and do a fantastic job. We just got one who couldn’t do it

Lots of assistants out there are good candidates. Krabbenhoft (did he officially turn SIU down?) would be fine. Same with JR Blount of Iowa State, and the assistants from Illinois and Purdue. I would not want Smithpeters or Devin Johnson from Texas A&M, but I'll hold my nose and support them if hired (and my guess is that we'd have to be shot down by a few more candidates before we'd turn to one of them).

While on this subject, it's worth noting that Dusty May was a career assistant before achieving fame and fortune at Florida Atlantic. And his resume was solid, but not really any more impressive than Krabbenhoft, Blount, etc. As you said, it really is a matter of finding the right guy -- although certainly, May is an outlier.

This post was modified 2 months ago 4 times by AJCSaluki

ReplyQuote
Page 143 / 164

Share: