2,457 Posts
112 Users
2543 Likes
44.5 K Views
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Speaking of good assistants, FAU just hired Baylor's associate head coach John Jakus.  Really good hire in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

Posted by: @dunkledog

I don’t necessarily think an assistant who is talented is bad. They just have to be a good assistant. Lots of them are hired and do a fantastic job. We just got one who couldn’t do it

Lots of assistants out there are good candidates. Krabbenhoft (did he officially turn SIU down?) would be fine. Same with JR Blount of Iowa State, and the assistants from Illinois and Purdue. I would not want Smithpeters or Devin Johnson from Texas A&M, but I'll hold my nose and support them if hired (and my guess is that we'd have to be shot down by a few more candidates before we'd turn to one of them).

While on this subject, it's worth noting that Dusty May was a career assistant before achieving fame and fortune at FAU. And his resume was solid, but not really any more impressive than Krabbenhoft, Blount, etc. As you said, it really is a matter of finding the right guy.

yep I think the only ones mad at a truly talented assistant being hired are mad because the one they liked (Bryan) just couldn’t do it 

This post was modified 1 month ago by Dunkledog

INSaluki and Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
Spike
(@spike)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Success would probably drive NIL engagement.

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Just curious….what should our NIL amount be?

ReplyQuote
(@grimper57)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Posted by: @kiwiball

Ok, why fly all the way out there and any place that they flew too. If you were not  serious about the candidate.  Are all these coaches that they have supposedly interviewed and flew in are seeing something about our basketball program that we are not seeing? 

You're assuming that SIU rejected them.  I believe it's the other way around.

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @johnny-utah

Posted by: @salukiworld

Posted by: @johnny-utah

If we keep striking out give Luke Murray a shot….he at least will have the offense Chancellor Lane is looking for.

I think Murray has been turning down decent jobs to stay at UConn.  I can't imagine SIU would be the first and best call to hire him

I wouldn’t think so, I just see he was make 250k so I thought 600k might entice him.  Just don’t see going from 500k to 600k for Nagy would be too enticing but maybe it will be.  

If the reports are true that everyone keeps turning us down and we are on like our 5th or 6th choice…..something has to be up right?  It has to be us, right?  Can we sit and look in the mirror and be self critical.  We are all homers and kind of look at ourselves differently but is it really something wrong with the situation, facility, leadership or what?  Or maybe nothing is really going wrong and we are just in panic mode as fans.  I don’t know.

That is a question that I posed earlier.  We as Saluki loyalists sometimes see things with rose coloured glasses on.  IF these potential candidates have actually said no.  What is the reasoning? What are they seeing that we are not. That’s the million dollar question. It also must be frustrating for the hiring team as well. 

ReplyQuote
(@grimper57)

@salukiworld 

I Understand the process.  Hypothetically if Nagy said no, hypothetically all the other individuals who have interviewed said No. 

Just wondering what are we missing as Saluki loyalists that the candidates are not missing and saying No.  

I grew up in southern Illinois and graduated from SIU in 1979.  I left in 1979 and lived in major cities all over the east coast for the next 35 years.  I'm telling you all that Carbondale is a crumbling city.  I hated it when I lived there in college, and it's only gotten worse and worse over the last 45 years.

It's going to have to be one hell of an offer, or one hell of an ambitious young coach, to get someone to move into a (1) city on the decline and (2) a college on the decline (I think there were ~22,000 students when I was there).

You all are being unrealistic.  Kyle Smithpeters not looking so bad now, is he?

Danny58745 reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @grimper57

@salukiworld 

I Understand the process.  Hypothetically if Nagy said no, hypothetically all the other individuals who have interviewed said No. 

Just wondering what are we missing as Saluki loyalists that the candidates are not missing and saying No.  

I grew up in southern Illinois and graduated from SIU in 1979.  I left in 1979 and lived in major cities all over the east coast for the next 35 years.  I'm telling you all that Carbondale is a crumbling city.  I hated it when I lived there in college, and it's only gotten worse and worse over the last 45 years.

It's going to have to be one hell of an offer, or one hell of an ambitious young coach, to get someone to move into a (1) city on the decline and (2) a college on the decline (I think there were ~22,000 students when I was there).

Quite the morale-booster of a post. 🙄 

And yes, still pass on Smithpeters.

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

A lot of people are seeing this search as a disaster, I don't right now.  I think they're interviewing high quality candidates and until they stop interviewing high quality candidates and stoop down to the Kent Williams, Dana Ford, Pat Skerry level of candidate, I'm going to trust they're going to get a good coach.

Yeah it would be nice to have a coach hired today but they shouldn't rush themselves into a bad hire because then we'll just be right back here in 3-5 years.

If we were taking big swings and missing I might agree. The only one I would say came close to that was Spradlin. All the others mentioned(including Spradlin when you consider the conference) would be upgrading their situation when you look at quality of competition/ the league.

The scary thing for all of us should be the don’t necessarily see SIU as an upgrade over what they have. 

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Ok, why fly all the way out there and any place that they flew too. If you were not  serious about the candidate.  Are all these coaches that they have supposedly interviewed and flew in are seeing something about our basketball program that we are not seeing? 

You're assuming that SIU rejected them.  I believe it's the other way around.

Not saying anything like that. We have supposedly flown candidates in for an interview.  So there was interest on the candidates part.  IF and that’s a big IF we have heard the word NO. What is their reasoning behind it?

ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

@salukiworld 

If it ends up being Smithpeters…

ReplyQuote
(@grimper57)

Posted by: @siudawgs

@salukiworld 

Quite the morale-booster of a post. 🙄 

And yes, still pass on Smithpeters.

Hey, I'm just being honest.  Honestly, if someone has never lived anywhere other than the Carbondale/Herrin/Marion area in their whole lives, then of course they're going to think it's a fantastic place to live with a great draw to people.  It's not.  

ReplyQuote
oberkfell
(@oberkfell)

So my pathetic inside source still could be correct with Devin Johnson.  

ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)

Posted by: @siu_2011

A lot of people are seeing this search as a disaster, I don't right now.  I think they're interviewing high quality candidates and until they stop interviewing high quality candidates and stoop down to the Kent Williams, Dana Ford, Pat Skerry level of candidate, I'm going to trust they're going to get a good coach.

Yeah it would be nice to have a coach hired today but they shouldn't rush themselves into a bad hire because then we'll just be right back here in 3-5 years.

If we were taking big swings and missing I might agree. The only one I would say came close to that was Spradlin. All the others mentioned(including Spradlin when you consider the conference) would be upgrading their situation when you look at quality of competition/ the league.

The scary thing for all of us should be the don’t necessarily see SIU as an upgrade over what they have. 

right. We are striking out on candidates who it could easily be argued are no better than the guy we fired. That’s why this hire will always be tied to Mullins. It wasn’t like we were terrible and absolutely needed to move on, we did to take the program to the next level… 

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I will pose this hypothetical question to the posters on this site. IF we keep on swinging and missing on our preferred targets.  What is the best secondary option for us?  

ReplyQuote
Page 144 / 164

Share: