Clear all

Coaching Search

2,457 Posts
112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.8 K Views
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

@saluki-4-life yep sometimes a horse can only get you so far. Sometimes you gotta try and jump on a horse you can win with

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @grimper57

Posted by: @kiwiball

@salukiworld 

I Understand the process.  Hypothetically if Nagy said no, hypothetically all the other individuals who have interviewed said No. 

Just wondering what are we missing as Saluki loyalists that the candidates are not missing and saying No.  

I grew up in southern Illinois and graduated from SIU in 1979.  I left in 1979 and lived in major cities all over the east coast for the next 35 years.  I'm telling you all that Carbondale is a crumbling city.  I hated it when I lived there in college, and it's only gotten worse and worse over the last 45 years.

It's going to have to be one hell of an offer, or one hell of an ambitious young coach, to get someone to move into a (1) city on the decline and (2) a college on the decline (I think there were ~22,000 students when I was there).

You all are being unrealistic.  Kyle Smithpeters not looking so bad now, is he?

It probably wasn’t Carbondale. You’re probably just a generally miserable person. 

PackerDawg, SlyDawg, INSaluki and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @dunkledog

@saluki-4-life yep sometimes a horse can only get you so far. Sometimes you gotta try and jump on a horse you can win with

except, you gave up on the horse too early…

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@saluki-4-life if he was truly ready to pounce and win I think someone would have wanted him to be a head coach.

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

keeping the faith let’s go dawgs 

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I will pose this hypothetical question to the posters on this site. IF we keep on swinging and missing on our preferred targets.  What is the best secondary option for us?  

Among head coaches from smaller conferences, two good options are Eric Henderson at South Dakota State and Alan Huss at High Point. Unless we've already reached out to them and have been told no, or they are known to be angling for bigger jobs.

Among assistants, JR Blount of Iowa State, Chester Frazier and Tim Anderson of Illinois, and Terry Johnson and Brandon Brantley of Purdue (if we've got $600K to throw around, we can afford them).

Among Division II head coaches, Andy Bronkema of Ferris State and Ben Howlett of West Liberty.

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Nothing is decided yet 

ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @barkeep-1967

Nothing is decided yet 

nothing is decided, as in SIU as options or nothing is decided as in SIU is back at the drawing board?

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

I will pose this hypothetical question to the posters on this site. IF we keep on swinging and missing on our preferred targets.  What is the best secondary option for us?  

Among head coaches from smaller conferences, two good options are Eric Henderson at South Dakota State and Alan Huss at High Point. Unless we've already reached out to them and have been told no, or they are known to be angling for bigger jobs.

Among assistants, JR Blount of Iowa State, Chester Frazier and Tim Anderson of Illinois, and Terry Johnson and Brandon Brantley of Purdue (if we've got $600K to throw around, we can afford them).

Among Division II head coaches, Andy Bronkema of Ferris State and Ben Howlett of West Liberty.

what do asst. coaches make at a power 6 school?  

ReplyQuote
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin

Posted by: @johnny-utah

Just curious….what should our NIL amount be?

Look at it this way. Indiana St. donors were looking to raise $300,000 to give to as many basketball players as they could when (not if) Josh Schertz leaves.

That's just the current need for the men's basketball team. Doesn't include long-term investments and/or other sports.

ReplyQuote
 DMR
(@dmr)
Davies Gym Poster

@grimper57 So when was the last time you actually attended a game?  Our been in Carbondale?  I personally have gone to games in 7 of the MVC schools in the past 3 or 4 years and the arena complex is better than any that we have gone to except for Evansville. But they don't own the Ford Center they just play there.  

ReSaluki 88 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

One more post, and then it's time to go to bed in preparation for a morning dentist appointment -- yuck! (Some might say a trip to the dentist is more fun than this hiring process.)

We've been focusing on SIU's shortcomings as the reason candidates are turning us down. However -- and I believe this could come into play with someone like Nagy -- is it possible they simply realize they are happy where they are and don't wish to uproot their families and undergo a big change unless they are going to get a massive pay upgrade? Or do their wives object to a move? I look at Nagy and I see someone in his late 50, with five kids. Are any of them school-age? They'd have to leave their friends behind. Is it a Catholic family? The Dayton area is full of Catholic parishes and good Catholic schools; Carbondale, not so much unless it has changed drastically since I was in school. Nagy, to his credit, also seems invested in the community. After giving it a lot of thought, does he want to leave that behind? All of these are factors typical of what most people would think about when considering a job change and relocation.

That's it. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Rockin' Dawg, MPH, ReSaluki 88 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster Admin

Don Donoher; he was the pax today.  He ticks all the boxes for Leonard.  None of the other coaches discussed thus far have coached a team in the NCAA Championship game and won the NIT.  He might be a little rusty on the recruiting trail and all the NIL stuff though.

This post was modified 2 months ago by AirDawg86

Go Dawgs!

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

what do asst. coaches make at a power 6 school?  

I have looked up the Illinois guys (the numbers are a matter of public record at state schools) and they both appear to be around $500K, maybe a bit more. The most recent figure for Blount was about $290K in 2022; I'd imagine that's a bit higher now. The most recent figures I could find out of Purdue put Brantley at almost $402K and Johnson at about $342K (again, these are from 2022; probably more now). If anyone can find up-to-the-minute numbers, I'd welcome them being posted.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Another suggestion if Nagy doesn't happen, A.W. Hamilton at Eastern Kentucky.  Not the most exciting resume so far but was a successful high school coach and his Eastern Kentucky teams have been somewhat successful.  Very up-tempo play style.  He was in the mix for the UIC job.

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 145 / 164

Share: