Coaching Search

2,457 Posts
112 Users
2685 Reactions
45.9 K Views
Dawgbytes
(@dawgbytes)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

You know how sometimes when things happen it just doesn’t feel right? This just doesn’t feel right. And every single person I have talked to since the trigger was unceremoniously pulled on our Hall of Fame coach has expressed a similar opinion. On another note, it is sardonically laughable that “we need to do this to boost enrollment” when the “powers to be” threatened the board a few years back if SIU did not meet their demands. Enrollment plummeted like free beer shortly thereafter. That has been the 800 lb gorilla in the room ever since that has been danced around, because we are a university. 

The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.
James Madison

SIU_2011 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @dawgbytes

You know how sometimes when things happen it just doesn’t feel right? This just doesn’t feel right. And every single person I have talked to since the trigger was unceremoniously pulled on our Hall of Fame coach has expressed a similar opinion. On another note, it is sardonically laughable that “we need to do this to boost enrollment” when the “powers to be” threatened the board a few years back if SIU did not meet their demands. Enrollment plummeted like free beer shortly thereafter. That has been the 800 lb gorilla in the room ever since that has been danced around, because we are a university. 

what doesn’t feel right. Mullins is nice  but he literally couldn’t beat the top coaches in the valley. This last month literally showed how far behind he is even yaklich in coaching decisions. Multiple huge game collapses, poor called timeouts . Bad inbound plays. Telling your best player to intentionally foul when he had 3. He’s awesome he was just way over his head 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Dunkledog

INSaluki, Rockin' Dawg, Salukifan32 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @dunkledog

Posted by: @dawgbytes

what doesn’t feel right. Mullins is nice  but he literally couldn’t beat the top coaches in the valley. This last month literally showed how far behind he is even yaklich in coaching decisions. Multiple huge game collapses, poor called timeouts . Bad inbound plays. Telling your best player to intentionally foul when he had 3. He’s awesome he was just way over his head 

And the thing is, Bryan might be a good head coach some day.  He goes to join Moser at a bigger program than Loyola and builds connections (AAU programs, staff, recruits) and gets another job down the line, maybe it works out for him.  Right now though he wasn't good enough for SIU to seriously compete with.

ReplyQuote
Saluki 69
(@saluki-69)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Posted by: @salukiworld

Posted by: @grimper57

Also seems like Porter Moser might be DePaul bound.  I think Bryan will join him even over taking a HC job.

It's hard to believe that anyone would want to step into the dumpster fire that is DePaul basketball.

Well Porter shot down the rumors after wild speculation today so that's not happening.  

Not so fast.  What would you expect him to say?  "Yes, I'm heading for DePaul as soon as we get beat on Wednesday."  He said the same thing at Loyola.  He may not escape the axe at OU if he makes a first round exit. 

He may have no interest in DePaul.  Who knows.  The talk has been going on for a month.  Don't dismiss it based solely on Porter saying that he's committed to Oklahoma.

ReplyQuote
(@foxman24)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I have a feeling Tim Anderson is going to be one they interview. 

ReplyQuote
Saluki 69
(@saluki-69)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

In an attempt to add a touch of levity to these sometimes contentious proceedings, it's worth noting that four or five days ago, Devin Johnson of Texas A&M was the hot name as a possible new coach. He's since disappeared from the radar screen as the spotlight has shifted elsewhere. Not sure he's been mentioned at all since maybe Friday.

He hasn't been mentioned since Friday because it was expected that Lane was gone.  Things changed drastically when that fell through. Don't erase that name just yet. 

Has anyone considered that KS is just as disinterested in SIU as he has been for the past decade? 🤔 

Jabman62 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jvaltos)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Would be nice to have the chatroom back!

ReplyQuote
carrcar
(@carrcar)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

@the-bobber I don’t understand, everyone seems to agree with the situation over on the premium site.

“The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.”
-- Al McGuire

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @saluki-69

In an attempt to add a touch of levity to these sometimes contentious proceedings, it's worth noting that four or five days ago, Devin Johnson of Texas A&M was the hot name as a possible new coach. He's since disappeared from the radar screen as the spotlight has shifted elsewhere. Not sure he's been mentioned at all since maybe Friday.

He hasn't been mentioned since Friday because it was expected that Lane was gone.  Things changed drastically when that fell through. Don't erase that name just yet.

He lacks head coaching experience, which seemingly is one of Leonard's prerequisites -- but Lane outranks Leonard. Given that, I wouldn't count Johnson out, either, especially if a "surprise" is afoot. This has the potential to get so crazy that the only guys I'm counting out right now are the four members of the SIU men's basketball coaching hall of shame: BBQ Barry, CLo, septuagenarian Allen Van Winkle and octogenarian Joe Gottfried.

ReplyQuote
 MPH
(@mph)

Yes Mullins is gone and I firmly believe he will rebound - but we might not. I'm okay swinging for the fences to compete with new coaches but I don't think the people that are vocal SIU made a mistake should be getting scolded.

I wanted Mullins to get another year with Howard since he didn't even have a year in the first place.

Directional Illinois schools have been trending downward after they didn't get a budget about a decade ago now. Regardless of your politics this is true. Compounding that issue is less folks going to college overall. I'm glad SIU has stabilized enrollment but much more will be needed.

Hell, WIU basically relegated themselves to the OVC this year because they couldn't compete in the Summit. NIU doesnt spend very much on their basketball team and is currently in a budget deficit. Everyone is aware of EIU's past problems For those wanting to swing with the so called big boys we need a homerun hire and are going to have to punch way above our weight class. Indiana St. pulled it off but these things aren't the norm - and even they had some budget cuts. 

I don't want it to happen. But things could get much much worse for SIU basketball.

ReplyQuote
(@grimper57)

Has anyone considered that KS is just as disinterested in SIU as he has been for the past decade? 🤔  

Exactly.  Everyone thinks that KS will jump on the job if it's offered to him.  I'm not so sure that's the case.

ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Exactly.  Everyone thinks that KS will jump on the job if it's offered to him.  I'm not so sure that's the case.

Kyle has not been "uninterested" and I'm pretty sure he would take the job, if offered.  I personally don't think SIU will go that direction, considering how hiring former players has turned out.  I also think Leonard is looking for a bigger fish.

That being said, I would totally support him if he gets the job and he's arguably more qualified than was Mullins.  Kyle put John A Logan on the National Map as a Head Coach.  He may not have won the "big one" but his recruits did under his younger brother.

I would also like to dispute the negative characterizations that have been posted here.  Kyle is a great guy.  I've never found him to be "arrogant" or dismissive of anybody.  Total class all the way.

Bryan was my guy, too.  And Brendan (who's caught a lot of needless flak on here).  Both great guys and hard workers.  But their regime here is over.  It's time to move on, stop with the bitching, the wild conspiracy theories, and (especially) the character assassinations, and support the new coach whoever it is.  Geez, people.  

Fraydog, BleedFknMaroon25, saluki82 and 8 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @saluki-69

Also seems like Porter Moser might be DePaul bound.  I think Bryan will join him even over taking a HC job.

It's hard to believe that anyone would want to step into the dumpster fire that is DePaul basketball.

Well Porter shot down the rumors after wild speculation today so that's not happening.  

Not so fast.  What would you expect him to say?  "Yes, I'm heading for DePaul as soon as we get beat on Wednesday."  He said the same thing at Loyola.  He may not escape the axe at OU if he makes a first round exit. 

He may have no interest in DePaul.  Who knows.  The talk has been going on for a month.  Don't dismiss it based solely on Porter saying that he's committed to Oklahoma.

Porter is in the 3rd year of a 6 year contract. Has won 20 games and been ranked most of the year in an extremely tough conference. Was making $2 mill/year, slightly more than he made at the lumber yard in Naperville. I would still like some money back for the shitty deck lumber they sold me. Warp city!

Somehow coaching DePaul in front of nobody at the McCormick  Place doesn't sound appealing. On the other hand, a Vienna hotdog anytime you want it sounds really good about now - with sport peppers.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

This post was modified 2 months ago by Mr_Woogers

ReplyQuote
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin

In 28 pages of comments, I can't believe that no one has asked the question....

Where is Greg Cook's plane?

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 28 / 164

Share: