Coaching Search

2,457 Posts
112 Users
2543 Likes
44.4 K Views
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @obd

In 28 pages of comments, I can't believe that no one has asked the question....

Where is Greg Cook's plane?

That's a name that hasn't been mentioned very often since Coach Sauce's final fadeout. Could he be about to resurface?

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @mr_woogers

Posted by: @saluki-69

Posted by: @salukiworld

Posted by: @grimper57

Posted by: @salukiworld

Also seems like Porter Moser might be DePaul bound.  I think Bryan will join him even over taking a HC job.

It's hard to believe that anyone would want to step into the dumpster fire that is DePaul basketball.

Well Porter shot down the rumors after wild speculation today so that's not happening.  

Not so fast.  What would you expect him to say?  "Yes, I'm heading for DePaul as soon as we get beat on Wednesday."  He said the same thing at Loyola.  He may not escape the axe at OU if he makes a first round exit. 

He may have no interest in DePaul.  Who knows.  The talk has been going on for a month.  Don't dismiss it based solely on Porter saying that he's committed to Oklahoma.

Porter is in the 3rd year of a 6 year contract. Has won 20 games and been ranked most of the year in an extremely tough conference. Was making $2 mill/year, slightly more than he made at the lumber yard in Naperville. I would still like some money back for the shitty deck lumber they sold me. Warp city!

Somehow coaching DePaul in front of nobody at the McCormick  Place doesn't sound appealing. On the other hand, a Vienna hotdog anytime you want it sounds really good about now - with sport peppers.

Yea it is really funny what people will believe. Porter leaving OU for DePaul? They he apparently was just bluffing to try to get OU to commit to facilities? How gullible are people?

ReplyQuote
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

That's a name that hasn't been mentioned very often since Coach Sauce's final fadeout. Could he be about to resurface?

Since I am not in the Carbondale metroplex, I guess that I just assumed that he was still a major force in the program. Is that not the case any more?

ReplyQuote
saluki82
(@saluki82)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @saluki-69

In an attempt to add a touch of levity to these sometimes contentious proceedings, it's worth noting that four or five days ago, Devin Johnson of Texas A&M was the hot name as a possible new coach. He's since disappeared from the radar screen as the spotlight has shifted elsewhere. Not sure he's been mentioned at all since maybe Friday.

He hasn't been mentioned since Friday because it was expected that Lane was gone.  Things changed drastically when that fell through. Don't erase that name just yet.

He lacks head coaching experience, which seemingly is one of Leonard's prerequisites -- but Lane outranks Leonard. Given that, I wouldn't count Johnson out, either, especially if a "surprise" is afoot. This has the potential to get so crazy that the only guys I'm counting out right now are the four members of the SIU men's basketball coaching hall of shame: BBQ Barry, CLo, septuagenarian Allen Van Winkle and octogenarian Joe Gottfried.

While I was more in the give a short extension group, I will support the next coach and hope for the best as long as it's not any of the 4 mentioned above.

ReplyQuote
(@grimper57)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

Has anyone considered that KS is just as disinterested in SIU as he has been for the past decade? 🤔  

Exactly.  Everyone thinks that KS will jump on the job if it's offered to him.  I'm not so sure that's the case.

Kyle has not been "uninterested" and I'm pretty sure he would take the job, if offered.  I personally don't think SIU will go that direction, considering how hiring former players has turned out.  I also think Leonard is looking for a bigger fish.

That being said, I would totally support him if he gets the job and he's arguably more qualified than was Mullins.  Kyle put John A Logan on the National Map as a Head Coach.  He may not have won the "big one" but his recruits did under his younger brother.

I would also like to dispute the negative characterizations that have been posted here.  Kyle is a great guy.  I've never found him to be "arrogant" or dismissive of anybody.  Total class all the way.

Bryan was my guy, too.  And Brendan (who's caught a lot of needless flak on here).  Both great guys and hard workers.  But their regime here is over.  It's time to move on, stop with the bitching, the wild conspiracy theories, and (especially) the character assassinations, and support the new coach whoever it is.  Geez, people.  

I agree 100%.  I have talked to him multiple times and have never found him to be the way someone previously described him.  

As I posted earlier, the hate for the Smithpeters (family) name around this area really surprises me.

oberkfell, Rockin' Dawg, AirDawg86 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

Has anyone considered that KS is just as disinterested in SIU as he has been for the past decade? 🤔  

Exactly.  Everyone thinks that KS will jump on the job if it's offered to him.  I'm not so sure that's the case.

Kyle has not been "uninterested" and I'm pretty sure he would take the job, if offered.  I personally don't think SIU will go that direction, considering how hiring former players has turned out.  I also think Leonard is looking for a bigger fish.

That being said, I would totally support him if he gets the job and he's arguably more qualified than was Mullins.  Kyle put John A Logan on the National Map as a Head Coach.  He may not have won the "big one" but his recruits did under his younger brother.

I would also like to dispute the negative characterizations that have been posted here.  Kyle is a great guy.  I've never found him to be "arrogant" or dismissive of anybody.  Total class all the way.

Bryan was my guy, too.  And Brendan (who's caught a lot of needless flak on here).  Both great guys and hard workers.  But their regime here is over.  It's time to move on, stop with the bitching, the wild conspiracy theories, and (especially) the character assassinations, and support the new coach whoever it is.  Geez, people.  

I agree 100%.  I have talked to him multiple times and have never found him to be the way someone previously described him.  

As I posted earlier, the hate for the Smithpeters (family) name around this area really surprises me.

Yes. I don’t know Kyle well, but I know Tyler and his parents and all have been nothing but polite to me. A lot of people seem to not like the Smithpeters name though I’ve noticed. 

ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster Admin

Since I am not in the Carbondale metroplex, I guess that I just assumed that he was still a major force in the program. Is that not the case any more?

He sold the Cessna CJ2 at least 3 or 4 years ago and as of about 2 years ago had not replaced it with another small bizjet.  I don't think he owns any aircraft right now.  I'll do some N-registry searches later today/this week.

I almost typed a wise-ass comment the other night that we can't use FlightAware to track Cook's aircraft this time around...

Go Dawgs!

ReplyQuote
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin

Posted by: @airdawg86

He sold the Cessna CJ2 at least 3 or 4 years ago and as of about 2 years ago had not replaced it with another small bizjet.  I don't think he owns any aircraft right now.  I'll do some N-registry searches later today/this week.

I almost typed a wise-ass comment the other night that we can't use FlightAware to track Cook's aircraft this time around...

Thanks. Just a novice question. Is FlightAware not available any more?

ReplyQuote
 MPH
(@mph)

I'm not sure why all of the conversation about KS' character is necessary since most of the board agrees he should not be the next hire.

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Leonard acquired Cook Portable Warehouses in 2022. I'm not sure if Greg Cook retained any role or ownership following the acquisition. 

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@misty)

Am I the only one being told they’re trying hard for Gregg Marshall? 

Freedawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I believe I only saw him at one game this year….Ok State.  I believe he lives in North Carolina….not certain on that though.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Johnny Utah

ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster Admin

Thanks. Just a novice question. Is FlightAware not available any more?

FlightAware is still around.  FlightRadar24 is another decent flight tracking service.

Go Dawgs!

ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Gregg Marshall would be an interesting candidate. 

ReplyQuote
Barkeep 1967
(@barkeep-1967)
SIU Arena Poster Admin

Just stop it with Marshall    No

rafflaw, ReSaluki 88, Salukifan32 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 29 / 164

Share: