74 Users
911 Likes
12 K Views
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @johnny-utah

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

@johnny-utah You don't find people who actually play ball with and against him "credible?"

No not at all. There wouldn’t be an ounce of biased reporting going on right?  The man look at this kid, I’m better than him crowd.  He got offers to 7 different D-1 schools, I think I’d take that as being more credible than the scouting eyes of the rec center. 

On a side note back in the day I played there against Carlton Fay and playing against him it was in those same kind of terms….how is this guy playing for the Salukis.  Maybe they don’t give it their all in rec center games and the others are playing in their “Super Bowl” against a D1 recruit.

But no Rec leaguer in my eyes is not a credible source.

Believe what you want.  I liked the Sharp signing at the time.  But after seeing him in practice, I wasn't too impressed.  Keep in mind he sat the bench all year (behind Trey Miller) and maybe temper your expectations.  Mullins was desperate for a back-up PG when he signed him.

The kids at The Rec also played against Clarence and Troy and said they were really good.  Chris Cross and Sterling Sharp?  Not so much.  Sorry.

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

@johnny-utah You don't find people who actually play ball with and against him "credible?"

No not at all. There wouldn’t be an ounce of biased reporting going on right?  The man look at this kid, I’m better than him crowd.  He got offers to 7 different D-1 schools, I think I’d take that as being more credible than the scouting eyes of the rec center. 

On a side note back in the day I played there against Carlton Fay and playing against him it was in those same kind of terms….how is this guy playing for the Salukis.  Maybe they don’t give it their all in rec center games and the others are playing in their “Super Bowl” against a D1 recruit.

Believe what you want.  I liked the Sharp signing at the time.  But after seeing him in practice, I wasn't too impressed.  Keep in mind he sat the bench all year (behind Trey Miller) and maybe temper your expectations.  Mullins was desperate for a back-up PG when he signed him.

The kids at The Rec also played against Clarence and Troy and said they were really good.  Chris Cross and Sterling Sharp?  Not so much.  Sorry.

I also saw him in practice. Not impressed the slightest bit. If he stays, whatever. I won’t be offended. But if there were a certain number of guys I’d like to keep, he wouldn’t be one of them. 

ReplyQuote
ReSaluki 88
(@resaluki-88)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

I also saw him in practice. Not impressed the slightest bit. If he stays, whatever. I won’t be offended. But if there were a certain number of guys I’d like to keep, he wouldn’t be one of them. 

He can't shoot. That is the problem. He can dribble, distribute and is quick but from what I saw in practice and warmups he can't shoot a lick. That would be an issue in games. Teams will sag off him defensively.

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Look I couldn’t tell you if sharp is good or not.  If we are looking for him to be the scorer….that is not what he is.  He averaged 9.8 ppg his senior year.  But what I am saying is to base our opinion on what other college students whom played against him at the Rec is kind of silly. Like I said the kid must have some skill for 7 D1 schools to offer him.  

How does this sound….next time we have a kid visit, let him go to the rec and lets have the kids evaluate him and tell us if he is good or not.

If you want to say I don’t like what I saw with my own two eyes….ok but get out of here with the “Rec league” says he’s bad.

It’s also easier to say a 6’1 guard and any good compared to those 6’7 or taller….I’d say the matchup might be different

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Johnny Utah

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

I don’t think social media popularity is one of Nagy’s priorities. He tweeted three times in 2023 and has yet to this year. Hopefully he can at least give his password to an SIU Athletics person to update his bio that he is no longer at Wright State. 😆

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

How about we just talk about the future of the team and coach instead of talking badly about literally the only player who has stayed with everything going on. Dude is a great character for atleast sticking this out 

ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Posted by: @cosmos

Their latest post referenced that a large portion of our fanbase is unhappy with the hire. Haha. There was over 200 fans that took time out of their day to come to campus at 1 pm to cheer him on, and there's been very little negativity I've come across so far. Somehow they have the impression that he's too similar to Mullins, when in reality he's the complete opposite in style. I wish Wright State well. All mid majors and low majors should cheer for their success, but we are happy with what he have and Nagy is already embraced here. This region loves themselves some basketball.

I think a lot of people are totally on board with this hire and the ones that are holding out will be on board when the games start and they're more watchable than they've been.  

Only concerns I have is Nagy's ability to work the portal and relating to current college kids as he continues to get older. 

This is my one concern with Nagy as well. It was kinda reinforced in my mind with his remarks about the portal when asked during the presser. This is why I think its a perfect marriage to retain Howard. That's his world! I believe those two working together puts SIU on the quickest path to success.

If the reports about him staying are true, I'm very excited to see what they put together blending some returnees from last year with new blood in a new system.

The next month or so will be very interesting.

--Insert something witty here--

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @siudawgs

I don’t think social media popularity is one of Nagy’s priorities. He tweeted three times in 2023 and has yet to this year. Hopefully he can at least give his password to an SIU Athletics person to update his bio that he is no longer at Wright State. 😆

Speaking of social media, looks like Jaheem Webber’s dad liked a bunch of the Saluki basketball posts on Nagy’s hiring, so maybe a good sign there that at least one of the Wright State recruits could be onboard. Webber is a post player from Normal.

Saloukeyfan and Cosmos reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @bleedfknmaroon25

Their latest post referenced that a large portion of our fanbase is unhappy with the hire. Haha. There was over 200 fans that took time out of their day to come to campus at 1 pm to cheer him on, and there's been very little negativity I've come across so far. Somehow they have the impression that he's too similar to Mullins, when in reality he's the complete opposite in style. I wish Wright State well. All mid majors and low majors should cheer for their success, but we are happy with what he have and Nagy is already embraced here. This region loves themselves some basketball.

I think a lot of people are totally on board with this hire and the ones that are holding out will be on board when the games start and they're more watchable than they've been.  

Only concerns I have is Nagy's ability to work the portal and relating to current college kids as he continues to get older. 

This is my one concern with Nagy as well. It was kinda reinforced in my mind with his remarks about the portal when asked during the presser. This is why I think its a perfect marriage to retain Howard. That's his world! I believe those two working together puts SIU on the quickest path to success.

If the reports about him staying are true, I'm very excited to see what they put together blending some returnees from last year with new blood in a new system.

Assuming Howard is staying, it’ll be very interesting to see what comes of that after a pretty slow start in his first year here. Time for him to make an impact.

INSaluki, Salukifan32, Saluki 69 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)

Speaking of social media, looks like Jaheem Webber’s dad liked a bunch of the Saluki basketball posts on Nagy’s hiring, so maybe a good sign there that at least one of the Wright State recruits could be onboard. Webber is a post player from Normal.

To be fair he did the same for the Wright State hiring. It'll all play out soon enough.

ReplyQuote
(@deshane)
Saluki Stadium Poster

Posted by: @bleedfknmaroon25

Assuming Howard is staying, it’ll be very interesting to see what comes of that after a pretty slow start in his first year here. Time for him to make an impact.

Regarding the staff...SalukieWorld and I mentioned a couple weeks ago that we thought keeping Howard for continuity in recruiting was a good idea.  Although I questioned how feasible it was.  Very pleased the AD has decided to go that way...even though it is goes somewhat against "tradition".  As to additional staff, I hope Nagy hires people with varying skill sets.  Having a head coach with all the assistance following in lock-step is not ideal.  

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

How many on this sight have played D 1 basketball? How many have gone to AAU tournaments? How many on this board has actually coached at the high school level and above in the last 5 years.  How many games have you seen in the last 2 years at the high school level? This is what the HC goes through all year with restrictions from the NCAA. 

So as fans of the Salukis, and players. I believe let the coach recruit what he thinks is the best fit for the system he is running. The 2 remaining players may not fit into his or any of our portal players. 
Again we can comment on what we want to see. But in the end that’s why we are paying him $600,000 a year to recruit and win games!

ReplyQuote
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)

The Mike Rodriguez/Sean O’Brien era Saluki’s mopped the floor with students at the Rec when I was there, just sayin’ 😉

ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@johnny-utah Now you're just being stupid.  I HAVE seen him play with my own two eyes and so have the two other posters who just backed me up.  He may be a great kid for all I know.  But if he couldn't get one minute of playing time this season after burning his redshirt, that tells you how much Mullins valued him as a player.  I hope he proves us all wrong and turns into something.  But he obviously needs a lot of work.

ReplyQuote
(@grimper57)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Posted by: @kiwiball

Posted by: @grimper57

Posted by: @siu-grad-87

Interested to see the first version of the Scott Nagy Salukis.  At the very least, SIU basketball will be exciting to watch again.  I could not have taken a 6th season of whatever BM was trying to do. 

Yep.  I was actually not going to buy my season tickets for next season.  Now I guess I'm going to have to 🙂

Then there are people that are not going to buy season tickets next year because of Mullins being let go. It’s a big world out there. So we will have to realise that SIU will gain some and lose some.  Let’s see how the final results are in with the total number next year on season tickets. 

My plan to not renew had nothing to do with the Mullins firing.  I actually supported that move.  It has more to do with the fact that it's just so easy to sit at home and watch the games on ESPN3, and not having to make a 5-hour commitment to watch a game in person.

ReplyQuote
Page 20 / 44

Share: