Clear all

SIU hires Scott Nagy

656 Posts
74 Users
911 Likes
11.9 K Views
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

@rockin-dawg did he even have a chance we had a coach who couldn’t write a winning offensive plan with jones and domask on the team who knows what he is capable of with a offensive minded coach

ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Suggest you stop arguing about a player who hasn’t had enough time on the floor for anyone to make a real judgement. Just a thought.

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@dogdays he’s also the only player with the courage to stay so far. So I feel we should respect that

Freedawg, Salukifan32, oberkfell and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Last thing I’ll say and I’ll move.

My main argument in this was someone saying paraphrasing here “I don’t want sharp back bc kids at the rec say he’s terrible.”  That’s it….i wouldn’t have brought anything up if it was said….I watched him in practice and thought he was bad…..that was it nothing more nothing less.

His 3 mins of game time in D1 basketball is probably more mins combined of all posters on here….thats me assuming and I could be wrong.

I can absolutely without a fact say the kid is not terrible at basketball.  There is no way a kid with multiple D1 offers has tricked that many coaches into getting offers.  Now is the kid a MVC type player, I can’t say.  Maybe he is not the caliber of player our coaches thought.  

This is coming from a person that has no prior history with said player or players high school.  I do wish him the best whether he stays or goes.

Happy Easter

ReplyQuote
(@grimper57)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Posted by: @siudawgs

Article from the Dayton paper:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reluctant-at-first-nagy-lands-at-southern-illinois/FFLFY42LV5EXLBM7NCQHQEYKVY/

Biggest click-bait.  Didn't mention a damn thing about his reluctance.

But, I'm still shocked why a 57-year-old making $500k a year, with kids and grandkids close, would take this job.  I'm guessing he thought that he didn't have much time left in Dayton.

ReplyQuote
(@grimper57)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Posted by: @johnny-utah

Posted by: @rockin-dawg

@johnny-utah Now you're just being stupid.  I HAVE seen him play with my own two eyes and so have the two other posters who just backed me up.  He may be a great kid for all I know.  But if he couldn't get one minute of playing time this season after burning his redshirt, that tells you how much Mullins valued him as a player.  I hope he proves us all wrong and turns into something.  But he obviously needs a lot of work.

Now you are changing your story.  If you would have said that from the get go no harm done.  But your idiotic statement of  something like “rec leaguers say he’s bad, so I don’t want him back.  In this argument there was one stupid statement, and it came from you.  If you feel he’s bad ok, fine, But don’t bring in what a rec center player says.  I haven’t seen enough of him to tell you if he’s good or bad….but the more you talk I’m not taking your word on it.

IDK your sources but someone told me he looked pretty good in the church league game last week. 

A guy doesn't get that many D1 offers without being a player.  We need to stop this silliness 🙂

Freedawg reacted
ReplyQuote
oberkfell
(@oberkfell)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @grimper57

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reluctant-at-first-nagy-lands-at-southern-illinois/FFLFY42LV5EXLBM7NCQHQEYKVY/

But, I'm still shocked why a 57-year-old making $500k a year, with kids and grandkids close, would take this job.  I'm guessing he thought that he didn't have much time left in Dayton.

Thats possible why he left.  I left my position at a company I worked at for 15 years.  I made it through the first two buyouts, saw the writing on the wall and took off. 

ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

@johnny-utah You're right about at least one thing.  Three minutes is more time than I spent playing NCAA Basketball!  Happy Easter.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/wright-state-basketball-players-excited-about-future-with-sargent/RYM6FZPWXJEA5JHMKISKNOJVWA/

RECRUIT UPDATE: Nagy signed a three-player recruiting class in November, and Sargent has been working to keep them in the fold.

Shelby forward Alex Bruskotter, the Division II Ohio player of the year, and Onsted (Mich.) forward Ayden Davis, who was named first-team all-state in Division 2, have told him they plan to be Raiders.

But 6-10 center Jaheem Webber from Normal, Ill., is “still deciding,” according to Sargent.

INSaluki and Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @oberkfell

Posted by: @grimper57

Thats possible why he left.  I left my position at a company I worked at for 15 years.  I made it through the first two buyouts, saw the writing on the wall and took off. 

If I'd been in his shoes (or bare feet) at Wright State, I would have been very wary about the AD situation and certainly would have been considering my options, if not conducting a full-blown job search. He clearly had a very good rapport with the retiring AD over the past eight years, and a new hire might have said, "Thanks for your hard work, but we need a new voice for the basketball program and have decided to go in a different direction." I don't think it helped Mullins' cause that he was hired by an AD who has spent the past 10 years changing jobs like most people change underwear (and that is no criticism of Kill, but his resume proves the point) and thus did not have a long-term advocate who might have extended his contract.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

salukis60, Salukifan32, Freedawg and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
DirtyDale
(@dirtydale)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

https://twitter.com/siu_basketball/status/1774828633762218081?s=46&t=7s0hTttieSER8wqRSA0LoA

I know Rockin’ said this was a done deal already and you posted his name still on the directory but it’s nice to see an official announcement. 

Hopefully this helps bridge some of our current recruits. One of my big complaints about firing Mullins was not giving Jerrance Howard more than 9 months to be on staff. Excited to see him work. 

ReplyQuote
PackerDawg
(@packerdawg)

While I agree it’s not ideal to stipulate who a new coach needs to keep on staff, I am very happy that Howard is staying.  Given his recruiting history and that Nagy has a previous relationship with Howard, I can’t imagine that was a problem for Nagy. 

ReplyQuote
Saloukeyfan
(@saloukeyfan)

Howard has been here almost a year. Time to see some results. 

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@saloukeyfan it will be nice to see what he can do when he’s not held back by a coaching style that’s really hard to recruit for. Players don’t want defense first. I always thought he got he’d back by the nature of Bryan’s coaching

ReplyQuote
Page 22 / 44

Share: