SIU hires Scott Nagy

656 Posts
74 Users
911 Likes
11.9 K Views
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I’m surprised they were able to get him at 6/600K. That seems like a pretty good bargain for someone with his resume, and considering he was getting 500K at WSU. 

Kudos to Leonard for getting this done.

ReplyQuote
SalukiTres
(@salukitres)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Posted by: @insaluki

Posted by: @salukitres

I really love this hire. 

Details on why would be welcomed !!!  We need all the good vibes we can get. 

My Dad was a longtime sportswriter who covered Illini basketball in the late-80's and early 90's. He became very close with Scott's father Dick, who was Lou Henson's assistant. 

When I told him the news, his response was "great hire. He will get SIU back to the tourney in a few years."

Dad is a Bradley grad/fan, so I take that to mean it's a really good hire. 

Austinsaluki, DuQuoin Dandy, INSaluki and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
oberkfell
(@oberkfell)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Maybe he can land Kyle Cassity or Lucas O’Rear. Probably have a Covid year to play with. 

ReplyQuote
goroshnik
(@goroshnik)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I just took a peek at Wright State's stats this year... if there's a polar opposite to "Floorburn U", I think we've found it, as Nagy's team had the 4th-highest scoring team in the nation this year... but also was 5th-worst in the nation in giving up points.

So, time to figure out a team nickname then... "Bucketbuster U", "Scoreboard Breaker U", etc.

One more interesting fact... Nagy's first game as the coach of Wright State was a road win, November 11th, 2016 - at SIU.  So he's undefeated at the Arena.  😉

ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)

I like this hire. Nagy has a track record of winning, a rep for good X's and O's, an effecient, exciting offense, coaching/recruiting and developing bigs, and plenty of experience.

I think there's a strong possibility Howard will be retained, which would certainly improve the odds of keeping some of our key departures from last season. Although less likely, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a discussion concerning Howard and the Associate head coaching position.

If the dominoes fall right, SIU can be righted and winning much sooner than we'd have dared to think just a short time ago.

--Insert something witty here--

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

This is one damn fine hire. In fact, I thought of Nagy at the beginning of this coaching search, but didn't suggest him as a possible candidate because I never dreamed he'd be interested in making a move at this stage of his career.

The one small regret is that I do still consider Spradlin "the one that got away," but because he has his eyes on bigger things, it may work out better for SIU in the long run.

Even looking at the MVC coaching landscape as objectively as possible, I like this hire much better than those at UIC (screams retread and mediocrity) and Missouri State (another retread). We'll see what happens at Drake (if it's McCollum, he'll undoubtedly make Missouri State regret letting him slip away) and, most likely, Indiana State.

And it's also very pleasing that the early reports about Johnson and Smithpeters did not become reality (I thought Krabbenhoft would have been a good hire, but I like Nagy better -- no on-the-job training required).

This is the arguably the most offensively oriented coach in SIU history, and I'm optimistic about how that will play out.

Welcome aboard, Mr. Nagy. Now, let's get some warm and hopefully talented bodies to fill all those spots on the roster.

Rockin' Dawg, INSaluki, SIU Alum 05 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Frog
(@frog)

Wonderful news! Hopefully now there won't be any more BS out here about firing Lane and the AD. 

ReplyQuote
Dawg
 Dawg
(@dawg)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @goroshnik

I just took a peek at Wright State's stats this year... if there's a polar opposite to "Floorburn U", I think we've found it, as Nagy's team had the 4th-highest scoring team in the nation this year... but also was 5th-worst in the nation in giving up points.

So, time to figure out a team nickname then... "Bucketbuster U", "Scoreboard Breaker U", etc.

One more interesting fact... Nagy's first game as the coach of Wright State was a road win, November 11th, 2016 - at SIU.  So he's undefeated at the Arena.  😉

It will be so nice to watch something that actually resembles basketball again.

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)

Historically, his teams haven't been that bad defensively, just the last year or two. Which, is the one thing that does give me some pause about the hiring, according to posters on the Wright State board, that is when two of his top assistants left to take jobs at bigger programs, and apparently, they were the defensive coaches.

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@uncledawgpound)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I look forward to yelling phrases such as "RUN AN OFFENSE!" and "MOVE YOUR ASS!" less. So there's that. 

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

That program was in disarray after the previous coach was fired and about half the roster jumped ship, but Nagy restored order quickly and had Wright State in the NCAA tournament in his second season. As for his victorious debut, it probably didn't hurt him that his first coaching matchup at Wright State was against Barry Hinson.

ReplyQuote
wiegie
(@wiegie)

Posted by: @ajcsaluki
As for his victorious debut, it probably didn't hurt him that his first coaching matchup at Wright State was against Barry Hinson.

This made me chuckle! 

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Dawg
 Dawg
(@dawg)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @wiegie

Posted by: @ajcsaluki
As for his victorious debut, it probably didn't hurt him that his first coaching matchup at Wright State was against Barry Hinson.

This made me chuckle! 

Do we need to get some welcome BBQ sauce for Coach?

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @saluki44

I’m surprised they were able to get him at 6/600K. That seems like a pretty good bargain for someone with his resume, and considering he was getting 500K at WSU. 

Kudos to Leonard for getting this done.

Base salary.  Incentives built in. 
Team GPA, 20 wins, post season, games won in post season. (NIT, NCAA) coach of the year in the Valley. national coach of the year. 
Sweet 16 appearances. Radio or Tv appearances. Things like that could add $50 to 100k to his base salary 

ReplyQuote
(@dawg88)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Really a good hire. Welcome to Saluki Nation Coach Nagy.  Looking forward to a fresh new approach on recruiting and the portal. 

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 44

Share: