656 Posts
74 Users
911 Likes
11.4 K Views
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @kiwiball

Posted by: @dogdays

Agree, that was a great group. My fr. Year was Lamberts first. However, Webers staff ended up having 4 head coaches on it. All that said, both great groups of coaches.

Yes, great group of players and what would have been if the administration paid him more money?

And that was probably an even bigger deal then because even some of the college basketball coaching superstars of that era weren't making more than $35,000 a year. It wasn't like they were living affluent lives, and he undoubtedly needed the money to provide for his family. That said, Lambert had been at SIU eight mostly successful years and likely would've moved on sooner rather than later anyway. Still, it was a disappointing departure -- especially considering the two coaches who followed and the hiring processes that produced them.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 3 times by AJCSaluki

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@multispeed)
Saluki Stadium Poster

Agree, that was a great group. My fr. Year was Lamberts first. However, Webers staff ended up having 4 head coaches on it. All that said, both great groups of coaches.

And in 2005 Coach Weber led the Illini to the NCAA Championship game.  This year Coach Painter led Purdue to the NCAA Championship game. Yes great coaches.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Multispeed

ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

And in I believe in 2019 Watson took USI to the D2 final 4.

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

If I'm not mistaken, the last time SIU took advantage of the ability to travel, practice and play in games over the summer was in 2018.  This means they are eligible to go again this summer. With the new coach and players (even if more come back), this is the perfect opportunity to get some much needed time with the new coach and staff.  

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Something to consider with the Hawkins hire and the Steffe family joining. Drew’s little brother Dylan is a freshman in high school. Theoretically down the line, he could be a freshman at SIU when Drew is a senior. Not a bad way to learn the ropes. Cheer him on on twitter if you see him. 

ReplyQuote
(@crazysaluki)
Dawg Pound Poster

I know it is early as we only have four players on the roster. What is going to be considered a good first year for Coach Nagy? I think if we finish middle of the pack, it was a great first year with the turnover that we have had. On top of him having to basically put together a whole new staff in the middle of trying to get people from the portal. 

ReplyQuote
OBD
 OBD
(@obd)
McAndrew Stadium Poster Admin

13 scholarship players would be a nice start.

rafflaw, CSpringsSaluki, Kyle_Saluki_17 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Patience

ReplyQuote
Kid
 Kid
(@kid)
Abe Martin Field Poster

I think siu could have a winning season in Nagy 1st year, 17-19 wins maybe creep to finishing 4th in mvc.  His 1st 2 recruits signed are great, if he keeps that up who knows.  I don't think we will be worse than last year but time will tell. Obviously a long way to go for predictions, but I really believe we won't be an awful team. But the 2nd year I would have some expectations a little higher

TJ McFlys reacted
ReplyQuote
TJ McFlys
(@tj-mcflys)

Patience

Indeed...and AMEN

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@tj-mcflys you can say that but it’s about time they show stuff

ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@dunkledog There are 1850

in the portal. 10 percent have chosen new teams. Plenty of players and time. Have you heard the story of the young bull and old bull at the top of the hill?

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

@dunkledog There are 1850

in the portal. 10 percent have chosen new teams. Plenty of players and time. Have you heard the story of the young bull and old bull at the top of the hill?

I haven't, sounds like an interesting story, fill me in. haha

dogdays reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Coming up on a month since Nagy was hired. Realize there are still a ton of moving parts with the roster that need focus, but a little surprised Luke Martin hasn’t done an interview yet (or maybe even one with Hawkins or other staff members).

Would be good for fans to hear Nagy’s thoughts on his initial weeks on the job.

SlyDawg and SIU Alum 05 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@foxman24)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@siudawgs The man is busy as hell probably no time 😆

ReplyQuote
Page 43 / 44

Share: