2020 Basketball Recruits

1,777 Posts
94 Users
1776 Reactions
353.2 K Views
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Had Coulibaly signed here, many would have been excited, since he passed on SIU for Holy Cross, I see him being dismissed.  I, for one, really wanted to sign this kid.  Filewich is a big guy but seemingly more of a bruiser, albeit with good vision and passing for a big man.  That being said, I don't feel he has the foot agility, dribbling (driving) skills, length or athleticism as Coulibaly.   I know we should see some signings here shortly, or at least one, but this one bummed me out. 

AnnaBob, 1DAWG, Rockin' Dawg and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @insaluki

Had Coulibaly signed here, many would have been excited, since he passed on SIU for Holy Cross, I see him being dismissed.  I, for one, really wanted to sign this kid.  Filewich is a big guy but seemingly more of a bruiser, albeit with good vision and passing for a big man.  That being said, I don't feel he has the foot agility, dribbling (driving) skills, length or athleticism as Coulibaly.   I know we should see some signings here shortly, or at least one, but this one bummed me out. 

Yeah, losing out on Coulibaly kinda stings. He has lots of tools and potential to build on. Didn't see Holy Cross coming, but if SIU still can land Makoui, I think we'll be very pleased with him and Muila. A freshman to develop would've been very nice though. And I think SIU is still seeking it's stretch 5 man.

--Insert something witty here--

rafflaw and Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Rockin' Dawg
(@rockin-dawg)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @rafflaw

@rawdog  What about the 6'9" young man from Daytona State?  Is he still in the mix??

Yes, Adong Makoui is still available.  North Pole Hoops hinted last week that he would be signing with SIU.  Nothing official yet, though.  He would help for sure, but I was (and still am) hoping for a Big Man for our Freshman Class.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Rockin' Dawg

1DAWG and rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
DeepSouthSaluki
(@deepsouthsaluki)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

@barkeep-1967
Do we not have 4 left? i've figured 9 (including Banks, Butler and Muila) for next season and that would leave 4 scholarships, wouldn't it? Or did i miss something?

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @deepsouthsaluki

@barkeep-1967
Do we not have 4 left? i've figured 9 (including Banks, Butler and Muila) for next season and that would leave 4 scholarships, wouldn't it? Or did i miss something?

5 scholarships left

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
DeepSouthSaluki
(@deepsouthsaluki)

@salukiworld
Thanks for the info! i have somehow miscounted it. Not sure how, but math was never my strong suit. 

ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

I would not expect Adong to announce soon. Looks like he lost a close friend today.

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Imagine being a D1 basketball prospect and choosing Holy Cross over Southern Illinois. Yikes. 

rafflaw reacted
ReplyQuote
81Dawg
(@81dawg)

Posted by: @saluki44

Imagine being a D1 basketball prospect and choosing Holy Cross over Southern Illinois. Yikes. 

He was my first choice.  Having said that, I hope he was not a high priority for the coaching staff... Holy Cross? Really?

Formerly known as 81Dog

ReplyQuote
(@vnomus2)

@insaluki I'm with you, this one stings, I thought Coulibaly would be a good one.  Also , I haven't seen a lot of video of Filewich but the one low level offer is concerning, don't know that he is gonna have the athleticism we are looking for.  I for one am hoping we aren't seriously pursuing the Michigan St kid or the UAB kid.  If it happens I think the Daytona State kid would be a good complement to Muila.

ReplyQuote
(@dawg88)
Abe Martin Field Poster

I know this one hurts but this kid never heard of SIU until BM recruited him. Nobody will work any harder than team Mullins. It’s still difficult for mid majors to recruit long distances. Keep the faith 🤗

ReplyQuote
Austinsaluki
(@austinsaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @bleedfknmaroon25
Posted by: @insaluki

Yeah, losing out on Coulibaly kinda stings. He has lots of tools and potential to build on. Didn't see Holy Cross coming, but if SIU still can land Makoui, I think we'll be very pleased with him and Muila. A freshman to develop would've been very nice though. And I think SIU is still seeking it's stretch 5 man.

It's always a drag to be rejected, but I see people as moving on, rather than dismissing him. I don't know what his family situation is, but you can't help noticing that if he does have family in Ottawa it's about a four-hour flight to Boston and then an hour's drive, as opposed to a six-hour flight to St. Louis (probably with fewer options on those flights) and then a two-hour drive to Carbondale. Plus I'm guessing HC plays a schedule up and down the eastern seaboard that would allow family members to see him play more often; if that is the case, I don't really see it as a rejection of us so much as choosing a place that might be a better fit for family reasons. (Not to mention that maybe the kid knows SIU has a card or two up its sleeve that would impair his playing time. Well, one can hope, eh?)

As for feeling dissed or rejected, I can't help but go back to 1985, when this hottie I was after turned me down because it turned out she was dating some assclown (think a guy who was the equivalent--in my mind anyway--of having a 3-29 record 😛 ). Well, things turned out fine: a few months later, I met my wife; she is amazing: smarter and more beautiful, and the hottie is fat now. (And I'd still be happy if that hottie weren't fat.) Just saying. 😛 Sometimes things have a way of working out eventually...

(Inflammatory political snark)

81Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vnomus2)

We just need a commit to get us passed this ..... be nice to have at least a couple guys sign on the opening day of the signing period 

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Holy Cross finished the year 3-29 overall, 2-16 in conference, lost their last 12 games, and look to have averaged around 1400 people per game. 

ReplyQuote
DR222
(@dr222)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @vnomus2

@insaluki I'm with you, this one stings, I thought Coulibaly would be a good one.  Also , I haven't seen a lot of video of Filewich but the one low level offer is concerning, don't know that he is gonna have the athleticism we are looking for.  I for one am hoping we aren't seriously pursuing the Michigan St kid or the UAB kid.  If it happens I think the Daytona State kid would be a good complement to Muila.

One thing about Filewich, he has probably been playing against double and triple teams since he was a Freshman in high school.   Its taught him how to look for the open man.   Athleticism may be an issue to some, but Krutwig seems to do okay in the Valley without displaying much. 

Austinsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 59 / 119

Share: