2685 Reactions
45.8 K Views
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @johnny-utah

Posted by: @mr_woogers

Posted by: @dawg

@mr_woogers I love Carby and agree with you.  I still can’t imagine retiring back to Illinois.  You are Austin are amongst a small minority I would guess.

Some people love the car exhaust of the big city or the sterility of the burbs. I moved back here a few years ago and think it's great. Can't tell you how many people I've met that have moved here from Denver, LA, San Diego, etc. that love it here. Not perfect of course - good jobs are hard to find, etc.

Carbondale's a smallish college town of 25K. Still has a great music scene, a great place for film makers/photographers and nature lovers/ bikers/kayakers/fishermen. Good variety of restaurants, wineries, etc. To say it is crumbling is BS ...lots of urban renewal type things going on, depending on available funds.

And close to the big city if you want it!

Definitely a dearth of strip malls - that's a positive IMO.

Many of things you quote as being great…are not actual Carbondale things.  You can’t say Carbondale isn’t crumbling….we have good wineries. A lot of the things you praise are southern Illinois things, not Carbondale things.

The hell I can't. Crumbling my ass! That is just a lie.

True there isn't a winery in the city limits! But St. Nicholas Microbrewery has a good restaurant at the airport, Buckwater Brew works has whiskey for drunks with money, nice variety of restaurants also, free summer concerts. Everything else I said IS Carbondale (and Murph too). When you talk of a town of course you include the environs.

Illinois avenue streetscape improvements, a new music venue/bandshell is going up downtown, the impressive new transportation center now has a roof, new hotels like Home 2 Suites by Hilton on the strip, Best Western, great public golf course in Hickory Ridge, new super-splash park, new Bucky dome visitor center, etc.  Work is proceeding on that paved bike trail from Murph to Marion, there's a nice paved trail on north Oakland now, the Green Earth org has 4 nature preserves around the city with walking trails, etc. The old fire station venue work is proceeding, other new businesses (Harbor Freight is the latest), etc. Even the hospital has added on, SIU Medicine has built a large clinic on N. Illinois..

And SIU? In the last 20 years new or renewed library, great football stadium, awesome arena, new track/soccer facility, new baseball facility, new student services building, new boathouse on campus lake, new Faner Plaza...hopefully work will start on the Comm bldg renewal/expansion soon. 

That's just off the top of my head - probably missing a few. I've lived in wealthy suburbs, big cities, etc. Would never go back but then I like fishing, biking, nature, Salukis!! love the CarbonMurph area - way better than it used to be (although I loved it when I was a student too) with one exception: need more students on our beautiful campus.

Grinch57 is an armpit of negativity and dishonesty IMO! 

ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster Admin

Posted by: @salukiworld

Posted by: @saluki44

https://x.com/samurai_hoops/status/1773330191986589879?s=61

Just so this doesn't get lost because the tweet didn't embed:

https://twitter.com/samurai_hoops/status/1773330191986589879?s=61

https://twitter.com/BballStacyD/status/1773337142346829872

No way WSU lands Luke Murray...

This post was modified 2 months ago by AirDawg86

Go Dawgs!

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @airdawg86

Posted by: @salukiworld

Posted by: @saluki44

https://x.com/samurai_hoops/status/1773330191986589879?s=61

Just so this doesn't get lost because the tweet didn't embed:

https://twitter.com/samurai_hoops/status/1773330191986589879?s=61

https://twitter.com/BballStacyD/status/1773337142346829872

No way WSU lands Luke Murray...

They’re promoting their associate head coach

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
salukis60
(@salukis60)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

AirDawg86 reacted
ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)

Looks like Splintertoes is our new coach!

from Wikipedia for what that's worth:

Title Head coach
Team Southern Illinois
Conference Missouri Valley
Record 167–91 (.647)

Nagy's record at SIU is already better than B Mullins!

Go Dawgs!

ReplyQuote
Cosmos
(@cosmos)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

@mr_woogers I love Carby and agree with you.  I still can’t imagine retiring back to Illinois.  You are Austin are amongst a small minority I would guess.

Some people love the car exhaust of the big city or the sterility of the burbs. I moved back here a few years ago and think it's great. Can't tell you how many people I've met that have moved here from Denver, LA, San Diego, etc. that love it here. Not perfect of course - good jobs are hard to find, etc.

Carbondale's a smallish college town of 25K. Still has a great music scene, a great place for film makers/photographers and nature lovers/ bikers/kayakers/fishermen. Good variety of restaurants, wineries, etc. To say it is crumbling is BS ...lots of urban renewal type things going on, depending on available funds.

Many of things you quote as being great…are not actual Carbondale things.  You can’t say Carbondale isn’t crumbling….we have good wineries. A lot of the things you praise are southern Illinois things, not Carbondale things.

True there isn't a winery in the city limits! But St. Nicholas Microbrewery has a good restaurant at the airport, Buckwater Brew works has whiskey for drunks with money, nice variety of restaurants also, free summer concerts. Everything else I said IS Carbondale (and Murph too). When you talk of a town of course you include the environs.

Illinois avenue streetscape improvements, a new music venue/bandshell is going up downtown, the impressive new transportation center now has a roof, new hotels like Home 2 Suites by Hilton on the strip, Best Western, great public golf course in Hickory Ridge, new super-splash park, new Bucky dome visitor center, etc.  Work is proceeding on that paved bike trail from Murph to Marion, there's a nice paved trail on north Oakland now, the Green Earth org has 4 nature preserves around the city with walking trails, etc. The old fire station venue work is proceeding, other new businesses (Harbor Freight is the latest), etc. Even the hospital has added on, SIU Medicine has built a large clinic on N. Illinois..

And SIU? In the last 20 years new or renewed library, great football stadium, awesome arena, new track/soccer facility, new baseball facility, new student services building, new boathouse on campus lake, new Faner Plaza...hopefully work will start on the Comm bldg renewal/expansion soon. 

That's just off the top of my head - probably missing a few. I've lived in wealthy suburbs, big cities, etc. Would never go back but then I like fishing, biking, nature, Salukis!! love the CarbonMurph area - way better than it used to be (although I loved it when I was a student too) with one exception: need more students on our beautiful campus.

Well he can't be that dishonest. His username includes Grinch.

ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)

Posted by: @salukis60

https://www.daytondailynews.com/local/report-wright-states-nagy-expected-to-take-southern-illinois-job/FCCBWMFAFVFQHLGAAETCEP4I2M/

I'm telling ya'... these media sources are picking this stuff up from this thread and running with it wholesale.  The 2nd paragraph - "Nagy reportedly was picked up by Southern Illinois’ private jet and flown from Dayton to Carbondale, Ill., for interviews Wednesday and returned the same day." - in the article has also upgraded our twin recip to a jet. 😀  

And on that point, our Saluki Jet still does not show a filed flight plan for later today. 

Go Dawgs!

ReplyQuote
(@14_alumdawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: @kiwiball

Posted by: @cosmos

Under Armour is a school-wide contract, same as Pepsi. When it’s up for renewal, it could be changed. But i’d doubt it happens. 

Thanks for the input.  Sometimes the uniforms are great. Some are god awful.  So depending on the sport it looks great or just not good!

Uniform design is a collaboration between the coaches and the equipment department. There are lots of different options and designs to choose from. 

ReplyQuote
Dawg
 Dawg
(@dawg)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@mr_woogers That is an awesome list.  What is the part about Faner?  I was hopinh there were plans to knock that eyesore down.

Austinsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

So you do you….but if I’m doing fishing and nature I’m going outside of Carbondale.  Southern Illinois is a great place for these things, however the city of Carbondale, I don’t think so.  However I might be slightly off, I have never lived in the suburbs or cities….just the “slums” of the country and So Ill.  I love southern Illinois, but there are just some things Carbondale can’t overcome.   IMO Marion is becoming more of a hub….but a lot of this is due to transportation measures changing.  Hwy 51 used to be the major transportation Mecca through so ill,  now it is interstate 57.  Just look at all of the major “cities” around the tri state area.  They all have a major interstate running through them….Carbondale has SIU, which finally stabilized the enrollment decline.  Carbondale has lost some businesses and need to correct and be more business friendly….like neighbor Marion.  I want Carbondale to succeed but like I said people want to claim things as “Carbondale” when they are actually southern Illinois.  I love southern Illinois and wish Carbondale nothing but the best.

Just to clarify, these are my opinions.  I live just outside of C-dale and many of these things you talk about, I can do outside of the city limits and with better resources.  If I’m going to shop or eat or do extra curricular activities there are a lot of better options…..if I’m willing to drive 15 mins more.  I go to Cdale for the convenience factor.  But city wise,  Paducah, Cape, and Marion are probably higher in the pecking order if I’m being honest.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Johnny Utah

ReplyQuote
AirDawg86
(@airdawg86)

There will be an official introduction of our new coach tomorrow.

Welcome Coach Scott Nagy!

https://siusalukis.com/news/2024/3/28/mens-basketball-news-scott-nagy-named-southern-illinois-mens-basketball-coach

Go Dawgs!

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

@mr_woogers That is an awesome list.  What is the part about Faner?  I was hopinh there were plans to knock that eyesore down.

Nope Faner still there. The area between Faner and Altgeld/Shryock/Parkinson was redone with landscaping, a large fountain near Parkinson, etc.

Austinsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @thunnellvision

Great day for SIU.

For those who have spent the last two weeks trashing the university, do us all a favor: stay home.

Nobody wants your negativity at sporting events. Nobody wants you dragging sh*t down. 

The people who lost today love mediocrity. It’s a sad day for losers.

This is just wrong….some went overboard, I agree.  But get over this divided sh**. If they want to come back after an emotional time of one of our own getting the axe, more power to them.  Let’s get over this divide or we are going to turn into what this country has turned into.  If they want to come back and be Saluki fans, welcome them with open arms.  Also this is probably the time to quit knocking what our former coach could or couldn’t do.  He was a Saluki, no reason to keep knocking his flaws….even if the new coach takes us to new heights.  I wish Mullins the best and speak no ill will….time to turn the page and move to the present and future.

Rockin' Dawg, Freedawg, Jabman62 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@johnny-utah 👍👍very well stated.

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

So you do you….but if I’m doing fishing and nature I’m going outside of Carbondale.  Southern Illinois is a great place for these things, however the city of Carbondale, I don’t think so.  However I might be slightly off, I have never lived in the suburbs or cities….just the “slums” of the country and So Ill.  I love southern Illinois, but there are just some things Carbondale can’t overcome.   IMO Marion is becoming more of a hub….but a lot of this is due to transportation measures changing.  Hwy 51 used to be the major transportation Mecca through so ill,  now it is interstate 57.  Just look at all of the major “cities” around the tri state area.  They all have a major interstate running through them….Carbondale has SIU, which finally stabilized the enrollment decline.  Carbondale has lost some businesses and need to correct and be more business friendly….like neighbor Marion.  I want Carbondale to succeed but like I said people want to claim things as “Carbondale” when they are actually southern Illinois.  I love southern Illinois and wish Carbondale nothing but the best.

Just to clarify, these are my opinions.  I live just outside of C-dale and many of these things you talk about, I can do outside of the city limits and with better resources.  If I’m going to shop or eat or do extra curricular activities there are a lot of better options…..if I’m willing to drive 15 mins more.  I go to Cdale for the convenience factor.  But city wise,  Paducah, Cape, and Marion are probably higher in the pecking order if I’m being honest.

Sure for nature you go to Giant City or the Shawnee, but every thing I said up above IS Carbondale. Most towns lost businesses during the pandemic. Carbondale has new businesses and there are more to come. Places like Bed Bath Beyond are gone everywhere and Macy's and Best Buy are closing stores every year. There is a great Kroger in C'dale and a nice Kohl's and a Barnes and Noble. Marion has a giant Walmart. And an empty large ballpark - closed.

So you like the fast food jungle that is Marion? How about that giant, empty mall they have with the Target hidden behind it? That is one crappy town ... unless you like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and the sound off semis rolling by all night long! They're trying to add some culture to that place with the Civic Center, which is nice, but I won't be buying a ticket to watch 200 year old Charo shake her booty. I'd rather watch Jason Isbell down on the strip for free or go to the Southern Illinois Music Festival at SIU. 

I've heard Paducah's down town is nice, but the fast food jungle off the interstate is awful - good for starved travelers I guess!! Been to Cape - nice big Menards. 

I have friends in Marion. They're over here all the time to the international grocery store or the "organic" Coop grocery store. Looking for real food. Or shopping at Kohls.

When I do eat out, I much prefer the Taste of Thai, Mary Lou's,  Quatros,  17th Street in Murph ... any place but the fast food cesspool of Marion. 

culture vs. fast food

I repeat.  Carbondale isn’t crumbling.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Mr_Woogers

Austinsaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 158 / 164

Share: