2,457 Posts
112 Users
2543 Likes
42.5 K Views
Dawg
 Dawg
(@dawg)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@mr_woogers We were back last year and my wife and I both thought Carbo; Murph and Marion all looked pretty good.  We thought campus seemed pretty shabby, but not much can be done about that.  Agree the sports facilities are great.

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @mr_woogers

Posted by: @dawg

@mr_woogers I love Carby and agree with you.  I still can’t imagine retiring back to Illinois.  You are Austin are amongst a small minority I would guess.

Some people love the car exhaust of the big city or the sterility of the burbs. I moved back here a few years ago and think it's great. Can't tell you how many people I've met that have moved here from Denver, LA, San Diego, etc. that love it here. Not perfect of course - good jobs are hard to find, etc.

Carbondale's a smallish college town of 25K. Still has a great music scene, a great place for film makers/photographers and nature lovers/ bikers/kayakers/fishermen. Good variety of restaurants, wineries, etc. To say it is crumbling is BS ...lots of urban renewal type things going on, depending on available funds.

And close to the big city if you want it!

Definitely a dearth of strip malls - that's a positive IMO.

Many of things you quote as being great…are not actual Carbondale things.  You can’t say Carbondale isn’t crumbling….we have good wineries. A lot of the things you praise are southern Illinois things, not Carbondale things.

ReplyQuote
Dawg
 Dawg
(@dawg)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @johnny-utah

Posted by: @mr_woogers

@mr_woogers I love Carby and agree with you.  I still can’t imagine retiring back to Illinois.  You are Austin are amongst a small minority I would guess.

Some people love the car exhaust of the big city or the sterility of the burbs. I moved back here a few years ago and think it's great. Can't tell you how many people I've met that have moved here from Denver, LA, San Diego, etc. that love it here. Not perfect of course - good jobs are hard to find, etc.

Carbondale's a smallish college town of 25K. Still has a great music scene, a great place for film makers/photographers and nature lovers/ bikers/kayakers/fishermen. Good variety of restaurants, wineries, etc. To say it is crumbling is BS ...lots of urban renewal type things going on, depending on available funds.

And close to the big city if you want it!

Definitely a dearth of strip malls - that's a positive IMO.

Many of things you quote as being great…are not actual Carbondale things.  You can’t say Carbondale isn’t crumbling….we have good wineries. A lot of the things you praise are southern Illinois things, not Carbondale things.

While you are technically correct and I see your point, I think of Carbondale and the greater Southern Illiinois area as one and the same.  I suppose there is rivalry between local cities, but it is all the same wonderful place to me.

SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki 4 Life
(@saluki-4-life)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

Posted by: @saluki-4-life

Posted by: @grimper57

Posted by: @kiwiball

@salukiworld 

I Understand the process.  Hypothetically if Nagy said no, hypothetically all the other individuals who have interviewed said No. 

Just wondering what are we missing as Saluki loyalists that the candidates are not missing and saying No.  

I grew up in southern Illinois and graduated from SIU in 1979.  I left in 1979 and lived in major cities all over the east coast for the next 35 years.  I'm telling you all that Carbondale is a crumbling city.  I hated it when I lived there in college, and it's only gotten worse and worse over the last 45 years.

It's going to have to be one hell of an offer, or one hell of an ambitious young coach, to get someone to move into a (1) city on the decline and (2) a college on the decline (I think there were ~22,000 students when I was there).

You all are being unrealistic.  Kyle Smithpeters not looking so bad now, is he?

If it ends up being Smithpeters…

Did Smithpeters sleep with your sister in high school or something?

yes 🙁 it’s all she talks about at Thanksgiving dinner too. “Give Kyle the job! He won’t disappoint” then she does this weird wink with it. So gross. All I wanna do is finish my green bean casserole.

ReplyQuote
Dawg
 Dawg
(@dawg)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

Posted by: @grimper57

Posted by: @kiwiball

@salukiworld 

I Understand the process.  Hypothetically if Nagy said no, hypothetically all the other individuals who have interviewed said No. 

Just wondering what are we missing as Saluki loyalists that the candidates are not missing and saying No.  

I grew up in southern Illinois and graduated from SIU in 1979.  I left in 1979 and lived in major cities all over the east coast for the next 35 years.  I'm telling you all that Carbondale is a crumbling city.  I hated it when I lived there in college, and it's only gotten worse and worse over the last 45 years.

It's going to have to be one hell of an offer, or one hell of an ambitious young coach, to get someone to move into a (1) city on the decline and (2) a college on the decline (I think there were ~22,000 students when I was there).

You all are being unrealistic.  Kyle Smithpeters not looking so bad now, is he?

If it ends up being Smithpeters…

Did Smithpeters sleep with your sister in high school or something?

yes 🙁 it’s all she talks about at Thanksgiving dinner too. “Give Kyle the job! He won’t disappoint” then she does this weird wink with it. So gross. All I wanna do is finish my green bean casserole.

At least it wasn't your mom 🙂

ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Anyone know anything about Wright State’s recruiting under Nagy?

Their fans seem to not want one of their assistants, Dan Bere, to leave if Nagy comes here. Seems like he’s a good recruiter. Went to Indiana for school and is originally from the Midwest, apparently. 

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @barkeep-1967

I’ll just drop this here. Not my opinion this was an outside observation from a non SIU fan. 

“You guys are in a much worse spot than you can imagine. Strap yourself in. Your chancellor has a foot out the door which equals instability. Your AD is likely to get fired. More instability. Plus, there are additional underlying admin issues that makes this job VERY risky.”

Outsiders (such as coaching candidates) who have read this and other posts over the past 12-16 hours regarding the AD, the chancellor, Mullins' "cruel" firing, substandard facilities, feeble NIL efforts, the sad state of Carbondale, etc., over the last 12-16 hours aren't going to think of this situation in terms of the basketball coaching job -- they will look upon SIU as a dystopian hellhole. It seems that many "insiders" view it that way, too.

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Dawg
 Dawg
(@dawg)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

I’ll just drop this here. Not my opinion this was an outside observation from a non SIU fan. 

“You guys are in a much worse spot than you can imagine. Strap yourself in. Your chancellor has a foot out the door which equals instability. Your AD is likely to get fired. More instability. Plus, there are additional underlying admin issues that makes this job VERY risky.”

Outsiders (such as coaching candidates) who have read this and other posts over the past 12-16 hours regarding the AD, the chancellor, Mullins' "cruel" firing, substandard facilities, feeble NIL efforts, the sad state of Carbondale, etc., over the last 12-16 hours aren't going to think of this situation in terms of the basketball coaching job -- they will look upon SIU as a dystopian hellhole. It seems that many "insiders" view it that way, too.

I really doubt any coach would bother reading 140 pages of bullshit.

ReplyQuote
(@14_alumdawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

The athletics department is in fact a dumpster fire. Has been for a few years now. Turnover is high and lots of opinions. I wouldn’t think that would necessarily cause a coach to turn down $600K though? Idk. 

sources: employees who have left the department because of the dumpster fire 

ReplyQuote
(@kiwiball)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@mr_woogers We were back last year and my wife and I both thought Carbo; Murph and Marion all looked pretty good.  We thought campus seemed pretty shabby, but not much can be done about that.  Agree the sports facilities are great.

i have also have lived in different areas of the world. Th southern Illinois area is a beautiful place. If you love this type of living lifestyle.  It has remained beautiful since I left in the late 60’s upon my graduation.  Since my last visit a few years ago. It seem just as beautiful.  The town has changed but what hasn’t in this world.  The athletic facilities are amazing. The old McAndrew stadium back then was a mess. Some buildings look dated and needs some TLC in certain areas but you can’t beat the beautiful overall look of walking around campus. Overall the scenery in southern Illinois is still gorgeous and many improvements as mentioned previously by other posters. It’s not for everyone but it seems a great place to retire if you like that type of place. Hopefully we can find a coach that will fit the requirements of bringing us back to where we once were.  Plus enjoys the surrounding areas of SIU. I would love to see us back to the glory days of SIU basketball. 

SlyDawg reacted
ReplyQuote
Saluki44
(@saluki44)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

I really doubt any coach would bother reading 140 pages of bullshit.

Thankfully for us, there’s not a serious coach in America who would:

(A) spend more than a minute on the team’s message board or

(B) give an ounce of weight to anything spouted by so-called fans of the team on social media; even if they call themselves insiders.

ReplyQuote
(@14_alumdawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Didn’t someone on this board say Lane applied for another job? No idea the source and I’m definitely not looking through 150 pages but pretty sure that was posted

ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @14_alumdawg

Didn’t someone on this board say Lane applied for another job? No idea the source and I’m definitely not looking through 150 pages but pretty sure that was posted

someone did yes. But of course they had no info, didn’t know what job and couldn’t say where they heard it so I’m sure it’s just another baseless rumor 

ReplyQuote
(@uncledawgpound)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Is there any truth to the rumor that I mop with a bucket on its head may get the head coaching gig? 

ReplyQuote
Dawg
 Dawg
(@dawg)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

@kiwiball Agree all around.  If it wasn't in Illinois, then I would have considered returning.

ReplyQuote
Page 149 / 164

Share: