656 Posts
74 Users
929 Reactions
12.2 K Views
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @siudawgs

Posted by: @saluki44

I’d be fine if Howard left. I said all along he was being over-valued by most of us. If he was such a great recruiter and/or coach, he would’ve been employed when we picked him up. 

Let Nagy hand pick someone he wants and let’s get going. 

Yes. But quickly, unless we’re cool with Year 1 being a lost year.

There was an interview with Leonard in the Daily Egyptian -- it appeared before Nagy was even on SIU's radar screen -- in which he predicted a "transitional" 2024-25 season, then major improvement in the new coach's second year. I took this to mean, "Don't get your hopes up for next year." So it appears his expectations in the short term are not high. Now, whether he could stomach something like 8-24, I don't know. I doubt most of the participants on this board could.

siudawgs reacted
ReplyQuote
Quatros Saluki
(@quatroschallengesaluki)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

Posted by: @siudawgs

Posted by: @saluki44

I’d be fine if Howard left. I said all along he was being over-valued by most of us. If he was such a great recruiter and/or coach, he would’ve been employed when we picked him up. 

Let Nagy hand pick someone he wants and let’s get going. 

Yes. But quickly, unless we’re cool with Year 1 being a lost year.

There was an interview with Leonard in the Daily Egyptian -- it appeared before Nagy was even on SIU's radar screen -- in which he predicted a "transitional" 2024-25 season, then major improvement in the new coach's second year. I took this to mean, "Don't get your hopes up for next year." So it appears his expectations in the short term are not high. Now, whether he could stomach something like 8-24, I don't know. I doubt most of the participants on this board could.

I won’t like it and I’m sure I’ll be on here complaining about it, but that’s the kind of first year I’d expect.

ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

If he’s gone, be glad.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @dogdays

If he’s gone, be glad.

Maybe long-term but I really don't think this is a good thing in the short-term.  They're already going to struggle to put together a roster and that might be even tougher now.

ReplyQuote
(@deshane)
Saluki Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

If he’s gone, be glad.

Maybe long-term but I really don't think this is a good thing in the short-term.  They're already going to struggle to put together a roster and that might be even tougher now.

There are really some short-term thinkers on here.

ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

It will not hurt us. 

DirtyDale reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Here's my thing. I thought the Jerrance Howard hire was weird/sketchy/didn't really add up in the first place. He hasn't made the impact many hoped on the recruiting trail since he's been here, and if he leaves now, albeit at a critical time recruiting-wise, so be it.

But ... recruiting in this portal era is a sketchy business, and you probably need at least one if not multiple assistants comfortable swimming in those murky water$ to get the players you need to win. So, if not Howard, who?

Nagy sounds like he prefers recruiting high schoolers but it's next to impossible to keep talented ones beyond their freshman/soph years these days. 

So ... Howard might not be the answer, but putting our head in the sand about what it takes to put together a postseason-caliber roster in the portal era isn't helpful. I hope Nagy can complete a staff that he is comfortable with but that can also give SIU a fighting shot given the modern recruiting realities of portal + NIL.

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by siudawgs

DirtyDale reacted
ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

If this is true, I hate seeing Howard leave. I know many expected him to be a recruiting magician who would turn up 5 star recruits, but that is not reasonable in today’s climate. I watched the players with him this year and they seemed to relate very well with him. He was also a very positive and encouraging presence on the bench. Being around the people he has coached under for many years, I would think he knows the game and can teach it. 

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Jerrance Howard no longer listed on the SIU roster. So, see ya, Jerrance ... thanks for not much. 😆 

https://siusalukis.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Rockin' Dawg, Salukifan32, DirtyDale and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dogdays)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

For all you who are worried and overthinking this keep in mind. Scott Nagy has been a D 1 basketball coach for nearly one half of my life and I am guessing most of some of your lives. He has a handle on this. You are making assumptions about his recruiting and the portal without any first hand information from him or his track record at SIU, as there isn't one yet. This guy has won everywhere he has been. Just chill out and see what happens. As far as Howard goes, if you ask those around the program who really knew him and how he operates, you will find that we are not gonna miss much if anything with him being gone. He was not near as valuable as some of you on here think he was. Now, in the very near term, will his familiarity and continuity be an issue? Maybe. But long term, this is absolutely a good thing for the Salukis.

Rockin' Dawg, SIU Alum 05, Salukifan32 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Maroonloon
(@maroonloon)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

If he’s gone, be glad.

Yes, his contributions were overwhelming...yawn.

March on triumphantly!

ReplyQuote
(@grimper57)
Charlotte West Stadium Poster

Posted by: @saloukeyfan

Did he land us just one recruit in a year? 

I don't think he landed a single recruit.  No big loss in my eyes.

ReplyQuote
(@14_alumdawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

I don't care if he left because he hasn't proven himself valuable. But it is a pretty bad look on him in my opinion. To be required to retain him as the new head coach, then to have him announced as an assistant, then a week later bail??? He can kick rocks. 

ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @grimper57

Posted by: @saloukeyfan

Did he land us just one recruit in a year? 

I don't think he landed a single recruit.  No big loss in my eyes.

If Howard does for Arizona State what he did for SIU, Bobby Hurley will be out of a job next March.

This post was modified 1 month ago by AJCSaluki

ReplyQuote
Page 37 / 44

Share: