SIU hires Scott Nagy

656 Posts
74 Users
929 Reactions
12.1 K Views
BleedFknMaroon25
(@bleedfknmaroon25)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

What bothers me about this is it’s not so much about Howard and what he brought to the table as an assistant. On that front, he didn’t have the time nor the stability to prove much. 

My problem is it’s a bad look all around. It’s a bad look for Howard after just being announced he would be retained. It’s a bad look for SIU in the wake of what’s perceived as a poorly handled dismissal of the prior coach. And the timing is simply awful during such a crucial period for roster continuity and rebuilding.

I'm afraid this is making SIU look more and more undesirable, which will make any near-term success all the more unlikely.

Ugh..

--Insert something witty here--

Rockin' Dawg, Sandman95, siudawgs and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dawg88)
Abe Martin Field Poster

We have 1,200 kids in the transfer portal and we are worried about the look of losing an assistant coach to a P5 school. Let get over it and look forward to the new assistant. Nagy has lots of contacts and he knows what he doing. 

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @dawg88

We have 1,200 kids in the transfer portal and we are worried about the look of losing an assistant coach to a P5 school. Let get over it and look forward to the new assistant. Nagy has lots of contacts and he knows what he doing. 

They have 1 current player on the roster and this might hurt keeping other players.  It’s a big deal.  As we saw last year, once you get into May without any portal gets, it’s slim pickings.

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

Posted by: @grimper57

Posted by: @saloukeyfan

Did he land us just one recruit in a year? 

I don't think he landed a single recruit.  No big loss in my eyes.

If Howard does for Arizona State what he did for SIU, Bobby Hurley will be out of a job next March.

Howard is in the same position at ASU as he was at SIU working for a lame duck coach

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

@bleedfknmaroon25 i don’t really think outside of the Mullins love sphere it’s viewed as a poorly handled fire. Most people recognized siu was stagnant and going in the wrong direction.  Howard did nothing and he will probably do nothing for another lame duck administration

This post was modified 1 month ago by Dunkledog

ReplyQuote
(@freedawg)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Are you sure Howard is heading to Arizona State and not Illinois? Chester Frazier leaving for West Virginia so there is a slot open   

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @freedawg

Are you sure Howard is heading to Arizona State and not Illinois? Chester Frazier leaving for West Virginia so there is a slot open   

Yes, it’s Arizona State. Rumors out of Illinois is they want nothing of him.  I’d expect them to add someone like Orlando Antigua from Kentucky.

ReplyQuote
(@username)
Dawg Pound Poster

I’ve heard Steve Hawkins will fill one of the assistant jobs. Resigned today from D2 Quincy University. 

https://quhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/steve-hawkins/1050

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Just a thought: Not sure what Howard was making but probably pretty good assistant money. Maybe SIU can take that and offer a quality midmajor assistant a raise plus an associate head coach title to get a more established guy in, at least for one of the two openings.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @siudawgs

Just a thought: Not sure what Howard was making but probably pretty good assistant money. Maybe SIU can take that and offer a quality midmajor assistant a raise plus an associate head coach title to get a more established guy in, at least for one of the two openings.

I’d give Dana Ford a call if he’s willing to be an MVC assistant 

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

I did just see that Howard was removed from the coaching staff on the Athletics page so I'm taking it as "official".  I agree with Bleeding Maroon that this is just a bad look, certainly ON Howard, but also on SIU.   I also agree that this could hurt short term in perhaps keeping a couple of the players.  This guy basically stole from the University as he added nothing.  I will forever see him as a used car salesman who's "flash" was certainly stronger than his substance.  

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sam-i-am)
Dawg Pound Poster

Wow.

Horrible last 4-5 years at WMU.

1-20 as a high school coach for a year?

Bad at Quincy the following 2 years.  

It is true 

https://hoopdirt.com/hawkins-resigns-as-head-coach-at-d2-quincy-u-will-become-d1-assistant/

Really?

ReplyQuote
(@username)
Dawg Pound Poster

I’ve heard Steve Hawkins will fill one of the assistant jobs. Resigned today from D2 Quincy University. 

https://quhawks.com/staff-directory/steve-hawkins/297

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

What in the actual................................................................ 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

You guys do realize that being a bad head coach doesn't make you a bad assistant coach, right?

ReplyQuote
Page 38 / 44

Share: