656 Posts
74 Users
911 Likes
11.3 K Views
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

You guys do realize that being a bad head coach doesn't make you a bad assistant coach, right?

does reflect on your ability to recruit players to be competitive 

ReplyQuote
Salukifan32
(@salukifan32)

Posted by: @jabman62

You guys do realize that being a bad head coach doesn't make you a bad assistant coach, right?

does reflect on your ability to recruit players to be competitive 

Basically every failed head coach was at one point considered a good assistant 

SalukiWorld reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Agreed. Just about every big-time team sports has its fair share of coaches who failed in the top job -- for whatever reason, they just weren't cut out to be the No. 1 guy -- then did excellent work as assistants. At any rate, let's see how the guy performs before we throw him to the sharks.

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

I wouldn't even say Hawkins is a bad head coach.  He did some good things at Western Michigan.  Obviously he hasn't been great the last several years but he's being hired as an assistant, not head coach.  

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @sam-i-am

Wow.

Horrible last 4-5 years at WMU.

1-20 as a high school coach for a year?

Bad at Quincy the following 2 years.  

It is true 

https://hoopdirt.com/hawkins-resigns-as-head-coach-at-d2-quincy-u-will-become-d1-assistant/

Really?

He had one winning season his last four years. Coached there 17 years and won the MAC West many times, 2 trips to the NCAA.

He was the coach when they played here in 2010 and Carlton Fay had 38. Two years later we went up there and got beat, despite Diamond Taylor's 3 point output. LOL (that was the year we lost to Ohio Dominican! and only won 8 games)

ReplyQuote
(@username)
Dawg Pound Poster

Its now being reported in the media here in Quincy. 

https://muddyriversports.com/college/there-were-a-lot-of-tears-hawkins-resigns-as-qu-mens-basketball-coach-after-two-seasons-at-helm/20240415154046/

QU was a complete rebuild for him last two years. Program was in hortible shape. Also, not an easy place to win. Its in a very good D2 conference but rumor QU was on the verge of closing its doors not too long ago. It had been miss managed for years.  Things are looling better for the school financially but they likely have the lowest budget and worst facilities in the GLVC. 

siudawgs and SalukiWorld reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @username

https://muddyriversports.com/college/there-were-a-lot-of-tears-hawkins-resigns-as-qu-mens-basketball-coach-after-two-seasons-at-helm/20240415154046/

QU was a complete rebuild for him last two years. Program was in hortible shape. Also, not an easy place to win. Its in a very good D2 conference but rumor QU was on the verge of closing its doors not too long ago. It had been miss managed for years.  Things are looling better for the school financially but they likely have the lowest budget and worst facilities in the GLVC. 

Thanks for the insight.  I'm guessing SIU is a leading candidate for Zion Richardson and maybe Isaiah Foster who are both in the portal

ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @username

Thanks for the insight.  I'm guessing SIU is a leading candidate for Zion Richardson and maybe Isaiah Foster who are both in the portal

At first blush I’d say he’ll be a very solid Xs and Os assistant but probably not much of an impact recruiter in the portal era. He does make Nagy look young by comparison. 😆 

I actually know someone who knows Hawkins well so I’ll see what else I can find out.

ReplyQuote
SIU_2011
(@siu_2011)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

I’m not sure this hire was with recruiting in mind. I think this was more about having another experienced voice on the staff. I think whoever replaces Howard needs to be a big time recruiter. Someone mentioned Ford, who we all know can recruit, but he will have offers to be an assistant at the P5 level if/when he’s ready…I would be really surprised if he took an assistant job at a mid major.

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)

Let us have a look at the last 12 months we hire a recruiter who doesn't sign anyone and leaves by the way hired by someone who was not the current head coach or past head coach agree or not program over achieved last year tough losses sure but nonetheless program had overall enthusiasm hire a new coach for more money than previous coach entire roster has to replaced new coach in a lesser league the last couple of years record wise not as good as fired coach hires an assistant who's record is even worse hope things work out but as an outsider looking in it looks like someone cut off their nose to spite their face because this off season looks terrible makes you want rethink what the future holds

ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @jabman62

Let us have a look at the last 12 months we hire a recruiter who doesn't sign anyone and leaves by the way hired by someone who was not the current head coach or past head coach agree or not program over achieved last year tough losses sure but nonetheless program had overall enthusiasm hire a new coach for more money than previous coach entire roster has to replaced new coach in a lesser league the last couple of years record wise not as good as fired coach hires an assistant who's record is even worse hope things work out but as an outsider looking in it looks like someone cut off their nose to spite their face because this off season looks terrible makes you want rethink what the future holds

Your same old sad song is really getting old.

Aren't you one of those that ALLEGEDLY wants to move on past the firing of the "best coach ever at SIU"? And yet you keep bringing up how Mullins was better?

NO HE WAS NOT!

Hiring a new coach always involves a lot of rebooting and re-orging. I'm afraid you will have to live with that reality.

I'm about to list all the ways Mullins was not a good in-game coach just to hear you bitch!

INSaluki reacted
ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

I love the irony of how we were begging for an older assistant on Mullins' staff for 5 years and now we have 58 year old head coach (once the season starts) and a 62 year old assistant coach.  We've got to have the most experienced staff in the Valley by a mile.

As for Hawking, there are questions about age and ability to recruit but his resume is pretty impressive for an assistant coach at SIU.  I'm not really sure what people are expecting.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by SalukiWorld

ReSaluki 88, Foxman24, SIU Alum 05 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ajcsaluki)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

I think it's also time to trash the narrative that Nagy "came from a lesser league." What conference do we expect to be hiring from? Most coaches from leagues on a level with the MVC will look to move to one of the power leagues if they are successful and want to change jobs. To me, conferences like the OVC, Horizon and Summit should be looked upon as training grounds for potential MVC coaches, with the best and brightest moving up. James Madison and Utah State -- both NCAA tournament qualifiers -- certainly were fine with hiring Spradlin and Calhoun from "lesser leagues."

And I think it's instructive to see where some of the MVC's successful coaches of recent and current vintage were before they came to the conference:

Marshall: Came to Wichita State from Winthrop (don't know what conference they were in at the time, but it clearly wasn't up there with the MVC). Was wildly successful at Wichita before his career crashed because of character issues.

Wardle: Came to Bradley from Wisconsin-Green Bay, another Horizon school. Not a spectacular success, but at least he's tasted the postseason a few times.

Schertz: Came to Indiana State from Division II. Completely changed the narrative surrounding the Sycamores' program.

I also think we need to compare Nagy against the other hires in the conference over the past few weeks. In the long term, once SIU gets through this reset, would you prefer Cuonzo Martin? The retread at UIC? Now, I do believe McCollum will prove to be an excellent hire for Drake -- but if we'd hired him, someone almost certainly would have bellyached about him being from Division II.

In closing, I'll ask this for the third or fourth time since this whole thing started: Who would you have hired? Look, I don't know how Nagy will do. But I don't see people who are down on this hire coming up with many viable alternatives.

BleedFknMaroon25, SIU Alum 05, INSaluki and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Mr_Woogers
(@mr_woogers)
Saluki Platnum Member

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

I think it's also time to trash the narrative that Nagy "came from a lesser league." What conference do we expect to be hiring from? Most coaches from leagues on a level with the MVC will look to move to one of the power leagues if they are successful and want to change jobs. To me, conferences like the OVC, Horizon and Summit should be looked upon as training grounds for potential MVC coaches, with the best and brightest moving up. James Madison and Utah State -- both NCAA tournament qualifiers -- certainly were fine with hiring Spradlin and Calhoun from "lesser leagues."

And I think it's instructive to see where some of the MVC's successful coaches of recent and current vintage were before they came to the conference:

Marshall: Came to Wichita State from Winthrop (don't know what conference they were in at the time, but it clearly wasn't up there with the MVC). Was wildly successful at Wichita before his career crashed because of character issues.

Wardle: Came to Bradley from Wisconsin-Green Bay, another Horizon school. Not a spectacular success, but at least he's tasted the postseason a few times.

Schertz: Came to Indiana State from Division II. Completely changed the narrative surrounding the Sycamores' program.

I also think we need to compare Nagy against the other hires in the conference over the past few weeks. In the long term, once SIU gets through this reset, would you prefer Cuonzo Martin? The retread at UIC? Now, I do believe McCollum will prove to be an excellent hire for Drake -- but if we'd hired him, someone almost certainly would have bellyached about him being from Division II.

In closing, I'll ask this for the third or fourth time since this whole thing started: Who would you have hired? Look, I don't know how Nagy will do. But I don't see people who are down on this hire coming up with many viable alternatives.

No one knows how things will work out in the future, but I love this hire. To get a very experienced and successful head coach as an assistant is absolutely terrific. I was never impressed with the Mullins coaching staff and I don't know how many people on here said we need someone older with more experience. Well now we've got that head coach and assistant. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

I would say Wardle has been a spectacular success at Bradley.  Their program was a bottom of the standings Valley team when he took over and they compete almost every year now.  Yeah he’s had some down seasons due to various circumstances but that’s almost a good thing for Bradley because it’s probably given schools pause about poaching him.

But the overall point is correct, Nagy coming from the Horizon League is meaningless.  Just like Spradlin coming from the OVC wouldn’t have been a big deal.  SIU isn’t attracting Atlantic 10 or Mountain West coaches so you either look at the lower levels, D2/D3/JUCO, or a high major assistant.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by SalukiWorld

ReplyQuote
Page 39 / 44

Share: