SIU hires Scott Nagy

656 Posts
74 Users
911 Likes
11.8 K Views
(@johnny-utah)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Posted by: @ajcsaluki

I think it's also time to trash the narrative that Nagy "came from a lesser league." What conference do we expect to be hiring from? Most coaches from leagues on a level with the MVC will look to move to one of the power leagues if they are successful and want to change jobs. To me, conferences like the OVC, Horizon and Summit should be looked upon as training grounds for potential MVC coaches, with the best and brightest moving up. James Madison and Utah State -- both NCAA tournament qualifiers -- certainly were fine with hiring Spradlin and Calhoun from "lesser leagues."

And I think it's instructive to see where some of the MVC's successful coaches of recent and current vintage were before they came to the conference:

Marshall: Came to Wichita State from Winthrop (don't know what conference they were in at the time, but it clearly wasn't up there with the MVC). Was wildly successful at Wichita before his career crashed because of character issues.

Wardle: Came to Bradley from Wisconsin-Green Bay, another Horizon school. Not a spectacular success, but at least he's tasted the postseason a few times.

Schertz: Came to Indiana State from Division II. Completely changed the narrative surrounding the Sycamores' program.

I also think we need to compare Nagy against the other hires in the conference over the past few weeks. In the long term, once SIU gets through this reset, would you prefer Cuonzo Martin? The retread at UIC? Now, I do believe McCollum will prove to be an excellent hire for Drake -- but if we'd hired him, someone almost certainly would have bellyached about him being from Division II.

In closing, I'll ask this for the third or fourth time since this whole thing started: Who would you have hired? Look, I don't know how Nagy will do. But I don't see people who are down on this hire coming up with many viable alternatives.

To me the difference to all the comparisons is career trajectory. If Nagy had had success the last two seasons I don’t believe there wouldn’t be as much push back on the hiring. The other coaches listed seemed to hsbt all the momentum going up. Nagy has struggled in the portal era, so people are concerned.  The fan base is fractured, and I fear it’s going to take a while to get it back.  But I’m rooting for Coach Nagy and the Dawgs to be successful.

Rockin' Dawg, Freedawg, Jabman62 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)
Mike Reis Press Box Poster

Posted by: @johnny-utah

I think it's also time to trash the narrative that Nagy "came from a lesser league." What conference do we expect to be hiring from? Most coaches from leagues on a level with the MVC will look to move to one of the power leagues if they are successful and want to change jobs. To me, conferences like the OVC, Horizon and Summit should be looked upon as training grounds for potential MVC coaches, with the best and brightest moving up. James Madison and Utah State -- both NCAA tournament qualifiers -- certainly were fine with hiring Spradlin and Calhoun from "lesser leagues."

And I think it's instructive to see where some of the MVC's successful coaches of recent and current vintage were before they came to the conference:

Marshall: Came to Wichita State from Winthrop (don't know what conference they were in at the time, but it clearly wasn't up there with the MVC). Was wildly successful at Wichita before his career crashed because of character issues.

Wardle: Came to Bradley from Wisconsin-Green Bay, another Horizon school. Not a spectacular success, but at least he's tasted the postseason a few times.

Schertz: Came to Indiana State from Division II. Completely changed the narrative surrounding the Sycamores' program.

I also think we need to compare Nagy against the other hires in the conference over the past few weeks. In the long term, once SIU gets through this reset, would you prefer Cuonzo Martin? The retread at UIC? Now, I do believe McCollum will prove to be an excellent hire for Drake -- but if we'd hired him, someone almost certainly would have bellyached about him being from Division II.

In closing, I'll ask this for the third or fourth time since this whole thing started: Who would you have hired? Look, I don't know how Nagy will do. But I don't see people who are down on this hire coming up with many viable alternatives.

To me the difference to all the comparisons is career trajectory. If Nagy had had success the last two seasons I don’t believe there wouldn’t be as much push back on the hiring. The other coaches listed seemed to hsbt all the momentum going up. Nagy has struggled in the portal era, so people are concerned.  The fan base is fractured, and I fear it’s going to take a while to get it back.  But I’m rooting for Coach Nagy and the Dawgs to be successful.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a fanbase so divided over the changing of a lackluster downward projection basketball staff. We had the same thing happen two times in a row. We actually hire a person who has winning experience (honestly when was the last time that happened) and everyone freaked out. I would have bet my kidneys that team wasn’t winning anything. I’d rather rebuild than continue. Let the man cook

SIU Alum 05 reacted
ReplyQuote
Cowboydawg
(@cowboydawg)

Posted by: @johnny-utah

If Nagy had upward recent trajectory, we wouldn’t have been able to get him

SalukiWorld reacted
ReplyQuote
salukis60
(@salukis60)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Nagy better hire a "recruiter" for his final coaching staff member.

ReplyQuote
(@foxman24)
Lew Hartzog Track Poster

Obviously Dana Ford has been thrown out. Are there any... displaced head coaches or assistants you all would like us to throw our hat in the ring for?

Salukifan32 reacted
ReplyQuote
siudawgs
(@siudawgs)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @foxman24

Obviously Dana Ford has been thrown out. Are there any... displaced head coaches or assistants you all would like us to throw our hat in the ring for?

I’d assume Hawkins will be the highest-paid/most senior staff member so you’re probably looking at a younger, less expensive guy (who hopefully has recruiting/portal skills) for the last spot. 

ReplyQuote
SalukiWorld
(@salukiworld)
Saluki Platnum Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @siudawgs

I’d assume Hawkins will be the highest-paid/most senior staff member so you’re probably looking at a younger, less expensive guy (who hopefully has recruiting/portal skills) for the last spot. 

Getting Jerrance off the books should theoretically open up some money to maybe hire a higher-quality assistant 

ReplyQuote
Kyle_Saluki_17
(@kyle_saluki_17)
Itchy Jones Stadium Poster

Posted by: @salukiworld

Getting Jerrance off the books should theoretically open up some money to maybe hire a higher-quality assistant 

Does anyone know what Jerrence actually made?

ReplyQuote
INSaluki
(@insaluki)
SIU Arena Poster

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

Considerably too much for the output.  🤣 

Rockin' Dawg reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

Quincy head coach to become Siu assistant

Saluki44 reacted
ReplyQuote
Wood
 Wood
(@wood)
Abe Martin Field Poster

Posted by: @kyle_saluki_17

$127,500

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Posted by: @mr_woogers

Posted by: @jabman62

Let us have a look at the last 12 months we hire a recruiter who doesn't sign anyone and leaves by the way hired by someone who was not the current head coach or past head coach agree or not program over achieved last year tough losses sure but nonetheless program had overall enthusiasm hire a new coach for more money than previous coach entire roster has to replaced new coach in a lesser league the last couple of years record wise not as good as fired coach hires an assistant who's record is even worse hope things work out but as an outsider looking in it looks like someone cut off their nose to spite their face because this off season looks terrible makes you want rethink what the future holds

Your same old sad song is really getting old.

Aren't you one of those that ALLEGEDLY wants to move on past the firing of the "best coach ever at SIU"? And yet you keep bringing up how Mullins was better?

NO HE WAS NOT!

Hiring a new coach always involves a lot of rebooting and re-orging. I'm afraid you will have to live with that reality.

I'm about to list all the ways Mullins was not a good in-game coach just to hear you bitch!

I was just pointing out how this turmoil looks to people to the outside you know recruiting hiring of assistant coaches being on TV all of those things perceptions matter and by the way I have moved on and never said Mullins was best ever and I am just pointing out facts of the current situation and I have already said to be patient in all of this maybe you should look at all of my opinions and not cherry pick so you feel better about yourself 

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@jabman62 while you guys are fighting we hired a new assistant

ReplyQuote
Jabman62
(@jabman62)
McAndrew Stadium Poster

Thank you for the update 

ReplyQuote
(@dunkledog)

@jabman62 I live to serve lol he’s actually getting a ton of praise online. Maybe he’s a good addition

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Dunkledog

ReplyQuote
Page 40 / 44

Share: